LSA CFI Airspace and Speed restrictions

Old January 9th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default LSA CFI Airspace and Speed restrictions

Hey guys,
I'm preparing to get LSA CFI but I had two more questions:

61.415 (f) states that: You may not provide training to operate a
light-sport aircraft in Class B, C, and D airspace, at an airport
located in Class B, C, or D airspace, and to, from, through, or at an
airport having an operational control tower, unless you have the
endorsement specified in §61.325, or are otherwise authorized to
conduct operations in this airspace and at these airports

What does it mean to be otherwise authorized? I am a commercially rated
power pilot, does that mean I am autorized to give instruction into
Class B, C or D airspace?

Also the same goes for the speed restriction:
(g) You may not provide training in a light-sport aircraft with a VH
greater than 87 knots CAS unless you have the endorsement specified in
§61.327, or are otherwise authorized to operate that light-sport
aircraft.

Am I authorized???

-Nik

Old January 9th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote:
[...]

I'd check with either the EAA or FSDO but I think you are. It's my gut
feeling that all of the rules you quote (with the exception of the
"otherwise authorized..." part) are aimed at LSA ONLY instructors with no
additional rating. Your Comm certificate makes you otherwise authorized. The
same wording is used elsewhere in the regs and gives a person licenced as a
private or higher the authorization to do things that an LSA only pilot
can't while operating under the LSA rules.

Old January 25th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
rpellicciotti

On Jan 8, 6:48 pm, wrote:
[...]

If you are a commercial pilot then you have received a certificate that
allows you to fly an aircraft that goes faster then 87 knots. You have
also been certificated to operate in Class B, C and D airspace. You
are good to go.

Rick Pellicciotti
http://www.lightsportflying.com

Old January 26th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot

On 25 Jan 2007 12:18:14 -0800, "rpellicciotti"
wrote:

On Jan 8, 6:48 pm, wrote:
[...]

I see the problem as one of an air traffic controller seeing an LSA in
his airspace. the pilot is not identified to him and may not have the
training to equip him to fly safely in the airspace. danger danger
will robinson! enact the safety drills for violations of controlled
airspace....which would be an unnecessary inconvenience to all
concerned.

as a CFI I think that if you are endorsed to exercise the exemptions
that these aircraft fly under then you are right to go, but how would
any other airspace user know this?

I'd either visit the tower or phone them to explain the situation and
introduce myself before flying in.
the "or are otherwise authorised" section in australian practise is
there to cater for direct approvals by a tower for known locals.

Stealth Pilot
Old January 26th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans

"Stealth Pilot" wrote

I see the problem as one of an air traffic controller seeing an LSA in
his airspace. the pilot is not identified to him and may not have the
training to equip him to fly safely in the airspace. danger danger
will robinson! enact the safety drills for violations of controlled
airspace....which would be an unnecessary inconvenience to all
concerned.

I don't see how anyone would know that he is a LS pilot. As far as I know,
there is not any special identification , or proceedures, to indicate
anything other than a licensed pilot, flying within the limitations of
his/her certificate.

as a CFI I think that if you are endorsed to exercise the exemptions
that these aircraft fly under then you are right to go, but how would
any other airspace user know this?

Once again, how would they know?
--
Jim in NC

Old January 26th 07, 10:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 23:30:13 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Stealth Pilot" wrote

I see the problem as one of an air traffic controller seeing an LSA in
his airspace. the pilot is not identified to him and may not have the
training to equip him to fly safely in the airspace. danger danger
will robinson! enact the safety drills for violations of controlled
airspace....which would be an unnecessary inconvenience to all
concerned.

I don't see how anyone would know that he is a LS pilot. As far as I know,
there is not any special identification , or proceedures, to indicate
anything other than a licensed pilot, flying within the limitations of
his/her certificate.

as a CFI I think that if you are endorsed to exercise the exemptions
that these aircraft fly under then you are right to go, but how would
any other airspace user know this?

Once again, how would they know?

the speed of the thing for a start.

Stealth Pilot
Old January 26th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jarhead

"Morgans" wrote in message

| "Stealth Pilot" wrote
|
| I see the problem as one of an air traffic controller seeing an LSA
in
| his airspace. the pilot is not identified to him and may not have
the
| training to equip him to fly safely in the airspace. danger danger
| will robinson! enact the safety drills for violations of controlled
| airspace....which would be an unnecessary inconvenience to all
| concerned.
|
| I don't see how anyone would know that he is a LS pilot. As far as I
know,
| there is not any special identification , or proceedures, to indicate
| anything other than a licensed pilot, flying within the limitations of
| his/her certificate.
|
| as a CFI I think that if you are endorsed to exercise the exemptions
| that these aircraft fly under then you are right to go, but how
would
| any other airspace user know this?
|
| Once again, how would they know?
| --
| Jim in NC

GADO ramp check?

--
Jarhead

Old January 26th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Stealth Pilot wrote:

I see the problem as one of an air traffic controller seeing an LSA in
his airspace. the pilot is not identified to him and may not have the
training to equip him to fly safely in the airspace. danger danger
will robinson! enact the safety drills for violations of controlled
airspace....which would be an unnecessary inconvenience to all
concerned.

as a CFI I think that if you are endorsed to exercise the exemptions
that these aircraft fly under then you are right to go, but how would
any other airspace user know this?

I'd either visit the tower or phone them to explain the situation and
introduce myself before flying in.
the "or are otherwise authorised" section in australian practise is
there to cater for direct approvals by a tower for known locals.

Stealth Pilot

Keep in mind ATC has not a clue that a particular aircraft or pilot is an
LSA or not. My Zenith 601XL will be LSA legal but isn't certificated under
LSA rules. Same goes for a Piper. It isn't going to be a matter of ATC
saying, "Oh there's an Light Sport. I wonder if the pilot has class B
authorization or is a private pilot."

Old January 26th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote:

I don't see how anyone would know that he is a LS pilot. As far as
I know, there is not any special identification , or proceedures, to
indicate anything other than a licensed pilot, flying within the
limitations of his/her certificate.

Once again, how would they know?

the speed of the thing for a start.

Stealth Pilot

There are LSA aircraft that are faster than non-LSA aircraft.