Old Planes...Where Are They Now

Old June 22nd 04, 06:19 PM
Joe Osman

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message
The US had more than a thousand F-4s, along with scads more
A-4, F-101s and so on. Obviously some went to museums. But
where are the rest? And if they are sitting in a desert somewhere,
what's their condition.

Basically, could someone with a lot of money build themselves
an old airforce out of what's available, or has everything been
scrapped?

Some are scattered about the countryside having been given to veteran's
clubs or municipalities. I pass by an A-4 (Village of Oriskany), a B-52
(local veteran's club) and a Sherman tank (another veteran's club) every
workday.

Joe

Old June 22nd 04, 10:14 PM
Ron W

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
Subject: Old Planes...Where Are They Now

The B-26 Martin Marauder is a case in point. Every one that has ever been
rebuilt to date has crashed killing all aboard.incliding the one that the

CAF
rebuilt and flew. The pilot had heavy hours in Marauders. But not recently

and
for all prectical purposes was unqualifed because he wans't current.
If I had a chance to fly in a Marauder today, would I? Not a chance in

hell.
Been there. Done that. And 1100 hours in that beast is more than enough.

Art, you may wish to visit Kermit Weeks at Polk City Florida. He flies a
B-26 every now and then
though I don't know how recently.

http://www.fantasyofflight.com/aircraftpages/b26.htm

I had the pleasure of seeing him fly it at the Sun n' Fun in Lakeland, Fl. a
number of years ago.
I hadn't seen a B-26 since I used to go down to Ballast Point on Tampa Bay
to watch for the
"1 a day's in Tampa Bay" in the 40's. I may add that he flies all of the
flyable aircraft in his GREAT
facility, which includes most of them. It's well worth a visit! He is
obviously qualified!!!!!!!!!

Ron

Old June 23rd 04, 02:43 AM
Rolf Kappe

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:09:27 -0600, Ed Rasimus
wrote:

The drone program was remarkable to watch while I was at Holloman.
During the four years I was doing Fighter Lead-In, I watched the
F-102, the F-100, the F-106 and the beginnings of the F-4 programs.
(My favorite was the F-100 which came with the call-sign
"Attila"....think about it.) They even had a few F-86s when I started.

The last time we flew against the QF-4s at Holloman, they still used
the call sign Atilla.

--Rolf

Old June 23rd 04, 05:27 AM
Steve Hix

In article ,
"John A. Weeks III" wrote:

The problem with allowing combat aircraft into private hands
began when an unqualified pilot attempted to fly a privately
owned F-86 Sabre Jet out of the Fresno airport.

That was Sacramento Metro, which resides in an area surrounded
by residential neighborhoods. My wife grew up a couple miles west
of the airport.

He botched
the take-off, and crashed into an ice cream stand killing
a number of children who were standing in line for ice cream
on a hot California afternoon.

Old June 23rd 04, 12:11 PM
WalterM140

Basically, could someone with a lot of money build themselves
an old airforce out of what's available, or has everything been
scrapped?

Yeah, you never know when a soccer game may get out of hand.

Walt
Old June 24th 04, 10:35 AM
Cub Driver

The most famous graveyard for the USAF is at Davis-Monthan AFB outside
Tucson AZ. My father ended his days there--not in the graveyard
exactly, but sussing out how to package up say four engines for
shipment to someone who needed them. I think it was the only job in
which he was ever truly happy.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum