Jeppessen software (ie. JeppView?) and vmware (or perhapsalternatives)

Old June 4th 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

Default Jeppessen software (ie. JeppView?) and vmware (or perhapsalternatives)

I'm getting tired of paper revisions. At work, I tease those that
actually still use paper when there's a better alternative. And here I
am still using paper when there's a better alternative.

However, I've no machine running a Microsoft environment directly, and
this seems to be the target of choice for Jeppessen still. The closest I
get are machines running Apple and Linux environments which have one or
another Microsoft environment running under VMWare.

I never did get the JPI software working under this; it seems to want to
talk to the hardware directly, even if I'm just trying to analyze a
previously downloaded data dump from the engine monitor. So something
that should logically work doesn't (thanks to the programmers involved).

But what about JeppView? Has anyone tried running it under VMWare?
Success? Failure?

Also, what about alternatives? Although network access is growing more
ubiquitous, I'm still uncomfortable and requiring access to get a chart
or two.

Suggestions?

Thanks...

Andrew
Old June 4th 08, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Andrew,

Suggestions?

Two:

1. Get a Windows PC. It's cheap, even if you get it only to run
JeppView.

2. Call Jeppesen support and ask about VMWare.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 9th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 17:00:01 +0200, Thomas Borchert wrote:

1. Get a Windows PC. It's cheap, even if you get it only to run
JeppView.

It's "cheap" until you start to consider maintaining the thing. Also, my
laptop is pretty much always with me. I don't need to be carrying a
second laptop and I'm not happy with the idea of having access to
software from only one place.

2. Call Jeppesen support and ask about VMWare.

Ha! Easier said than done given their voice-mail-jail. But I did
finally have enough time to get through. The answer I got from tech
support was "sometimes". That's actually an improvement over "I don't
know" or even "VMWhat?"

The person to whom I was speaking actually seemed to know something about
it. He said that it works for the basic functionality of the package,
but where problems arise is in speaking to GPSs.

Since I'm not trying to do that (at least at the moment {8^), I view this
as very promising.

They also offer time to try and send it back if it doesn't work for me.
So I'm going to give it a try. I'll post the results.

Thanks...

Andrew
Old June 9th 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
K l e i n[_2_]

On Jun 9, 12:27 pm, Andrew Gideon wrote:
[...]

I've been using Jeppview since they first introduced it several years
ago. I keep a copy on my desktop machine and on the laptop I always
carry with me when I travel. I have been VERY pleased with the
service. Currently, I'm using the internet download of updates that
the introduced last year. Nice not to have to mess with the disks
anymore. Also, you can get your updates on the road if needed.

The way I use them is to print all the charts I'm likely to need on
any given trip and carry the paper with me in my computer bag. If I
need to go somewhere unexpected, I get out the laptop and go with
that. I do write down on the back of an old chart all the pertinent
information for the approach I'll be flying just in case the battery
decides to poop out on me.

It's been really nice to always know I've got the up-to-date charts
for anyplace in the country I need to go. I am planning to get a
tablet computer one of these days to make my flight bag a little
lighter. I also use FlightStar for flight planning and have ever
since Mentor first brought that out.

I don't even know what VMWare is. Good luck.

K l e i n