Top Gun 2

Old October 18th 10, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
BlackBeard

Default Top Gun 2

On Oct 17, 6:06*pm, Bill Kambic wrote:
On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 17:06:19 -0700 (PDT), BlackBeard
wrote:

On Oct 17, 2:23*pm, Alistair Gunn wrote:
In sci.military.naval John twisted the electrons to say:

This one will be easy. *Tom Cruise takes the Tom Skerritt role as
commander of Fighter Weapons School and finds the latest talented hot
shot pilot is the daughter of his old RIO Goose. *Yadda yadda yadda,
dogfight, yadda yadda yadda, dogfight, yadda yadda yadda, sunset.

Actually, that's moderately plausible ...

IIRC, it was definitely plausible if not directly mentioned that Tom
Skerritt's character had kids as well ... *So possible love interest for
the daughter of Goose there too?

Love interest will be Iceman's daughter, that way they can get into
the DADT drama...

BB

Put 'em both in and they can Duel in the Skies for Tom. *Either who
gets him or who has to take him. *;-)

Actually he and Iceman always had a certain "tension" between
them...

BB
Old October 18th 10, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Gordon[_2_]

On Oct 16, 4:55*am, Bill Kambic wrote:
On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 16:38:02 -0700 (PDT), "Mr.Smartypants"

wrote:
On Oct 15, 4:29*pm, "vaughn" wrote:
wrote in message

Not
only does Paramount want a "Top Gun"
sequel; they're thinking franchise."

They must be smoking something illegal! *First, Top Gun is one of those classics
that really shouldn't be touched. *Further, look at what a wacko loose cannon
Tom Cruse has made of himself. *Who would invest money knowing that Tom could do
something (else) crazy and make their investment go up in proverbial flames?

If they do it, it will be on Netflix 30 days after release, and the evening
movies shortly thereafter.

Vaughn

Top Gun a classic!!?

Sure it's a classic; but a classic what?!?!?!?!

Do you people have *no* standards at all?

If they did they would all acknowledge that THE classic NAVAIR flick
of all time was "Hot Shots." *And it's classic sequel, "Hot Shots:
Part Deux." *

spits on the ground

Bulls-eye, mo-cha-cho. That ties with "Bridges at Toko Ri" for numero
uno.
Old October 18th 10, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Ken S. Tucker

wrote:

[...]

I figured TOP GUN starred a cool airplane with a 'soap opera'
backdrop, nifty ships, cool shots of F-5's. I like that kind of
stuff. I'd argue the star of APOLLO 13 was the LM.

GATHERING OF EAGLES starring giant B-52's with megatons
of bombs and some people drooling on it, a few chicks with
pointy tits, whining about needing more sex.
That sells.
Ken
Old October 18th 10, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Bill Kambic[_2_]

[...]

In that case should we make it their two sons?!?!?!?! :-)
Old October 18th 10, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
David E. Powell

wrote:

[...]

Top Gun 2 thus endorses both repealing Don't Ask and allowing gay
marriage at the same time. Hollywood will greenlight this project.

I'll have to post my "Modern German Luftwaffe movie idea" I was
considering...
Old October 18th 10, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
H. Wilker

In article ,
Ed Rasimus wrote:

When will there be an equivalent tac-air film to "Blackhawk Down" or
"We Were Soldiers"?

Whenever you get around to writing the screenplay! Judging from the
stories about your F-4 time in Europe you tell here from time to time,
there should be material enough for an early-eighties pilot movie. You
could even tie it in with some historic events to provide background and
color - how about "Able Archer"?

Cheers

Helge
Old October 19th 10, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
vaughn[_3_]

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message

When will there be an equivalent tac-air film to "Blackhawk Down" or
"We Were Soldiers"?

You already wrote the book, now all we need is the screenplay, the financing,
and the actor ballsey enough to play Robin Olds. It would have it all; Sex,
Cool Airplanes, Combat, Booze, Conflict with Authority, Mustaches...

Vaughn

Old October 19th 10, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
H. Wilker

In article ,
Ed Rasimus wrote:

I wrote all three. (Fighter Pilot in collaboration with Robin Olds'
daughter.)

I have, of course, read the first two. The last is on my list...

There is plenty of material out there and a screenplay adaptation
isn't what is holding such a film back.

Then I wonder what is? I have the feeling that the day-to-day life in a
Cold War fighter squadron is quite interesting enough for those writing
and lurking in these groups; for box office success, however, there
probably needs to be some added drama. That might be provided by adding
an exercise that almost manages to trigger WW III - as "Able Archer 83"
reportedly did.

Cheers

Helge
Old October 19th 10, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
frank

On Oct 19, 8:24*am, "H. Wilker"
wrote:
In article ,
*Ed Rasimus wrote:

I wrote all three. (Fighter Pilot in collaboration with Robin Olds'
daughter.)

I have, of course, read the first two. The last is on my list...

There is plenty of material out there and a screenplay adaptation
isn't what is holding such a film back.

Then I wonder what is? I have the feeling that the day-to-day life in a
Cold War fighter squadron is quite interesting enough for those writing
and lurking in these groups; for box office success, however, there
probably needs to be some added drama. That might be provided by adding
an exercise that almost manages to trigger WW III - as "Able Archer 83"
reportedly did.

Cheers

Helge

Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stuart shows up on the movie
channels, but its based in the 50s. Funny, recently AF films are about
bombers, no notice of tankers or fighters.

Call to Glory was good, backdrop was real. But it was a TV series.

The Navy had Flight of the Intruder, which wasn't bad. But that was a
while back.
Old October 19th 10, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Jack Linthicum

On Oct 19, 12:32*pm, frank wrote:
On Oct 19, 8:24*am, "H. Wilker"
wrote:

In article ,
*Ed Rasimus wrote:

[...]

The military is using security as a toe in the door for a lot of
things. They don't want film people wandering around and perhaps
shooting some troops doping off or someone working a car during
working hours.

Locally we have Patrick AFB, which has the Air Force Technical
Applications Center. This is a four story building very close to a
main highway A1A. Despite having been rehabbed for security with heavy
fences, etc. there seems to be a need for a new $200 million facility
further back inside the base. The CO says in a newspaper article that
the new facility will be "just across the street from the current
one". Hopefully the street inside the base and not A1A.

The purpose of the building, tracking nuclear-weapon detonation and
testing worldwide, of course, secret and only disclosed to those who
take the local paper.

Things got awkward after 911 when the military closed A1A, for
security reasons, and made anyone trying to get from Satellite Beach
to Cocoa Beach by car or truck take a roughly 30 mile detour.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...Air-Force-Base