Immediate Action Items Checklist

Old June 17th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

Default Immediate Action Items Checklist

Do YOU have one? Do you rehearse it or practice it while the pressure
is off? If not, why not? What do you use for immediate action and why?
Old June 18th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
K l e i n[_2_]

On Jun 17, 4:46 pm, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
Do YOU have one? Do you rehearse it or practice it while the pressure
is off? If not, why not? What do you use for immediate action and why?

What I've been working on is a checklist for my wife to use to save
her life (and maybe mine) in the event of a sudden incapacitation of
the PIC (me). It's a turbine twin so it's no small task for someone
unfamiliar to get it on the ground safely. She has a ppsel but hasn't
flown solo in almost thirty years. At least she knows what a good
approach and landing looks like. In this case, a good landing would
not require reuse of the airplane.

K l e i n
Old June 18th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Of course not. The checklist for a goose coming through the windshield is
completely different than smoke in the cockpit is completely different from
the engine burping and stopping is completely different from ... (insert
multiple scenarios here).

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

Old June 18th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:46:47 -0700 (PDT), "Ol Shy & Bashful"
wrote in
:

Do YOU have one? Do you rehearse it or practice it while the pressure
is off? If not, why not? What do you use for immediate action and why?

This is the first I've heard of that term. Are you referring to
emergency procedures contained in the aircraft's POH?
Old June 18th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"RST Engineering" wrote in message m...
Of course not. The checklist for a goose coming through the windshield is
completely different than smoke in the cockpit is completely different from
the engine burping and stopping is completely different from ... (insert
multiple scenarios here).

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."
--Aristotle

It is not a goose, it is a DUCK...
Old June 18th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
gatt[_5_]

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:46:47 -0700 (PDT), "Ol Shy & Bashful"

Do you rehearse it or practice it while the pressure
is off? If not, why not? What do you use for immediate action and why?

This is the first I've heard of that term. Are you referring to
emergency procedures contained in the aircraft's POH?

I think he's referring to immediate action in the sense that if you're
on takeoff--he mentioned 200'-- and you lose power, you don't have time
to fish out the POH and run through the checklist.

Actually, of course, that should be done beforehand. You already know
you're at T/O power, mixture rich, prop forward, fuel pump on, engine
instruments green, mags both and flaps at recommended setting because
you (theoretically) verified that right before launching, and either you
just retracted your gear or you haven't yet (or they're fixed.)

That simplifies things, and you'd be wasting seconds by referring to a
checklist of things you just completed.

And since you've already considered what's downrange and where you're
going to put it if it fails on takeoff, the actual checklist of
immediate action items is going to be very small, and you ran through
that before rolling onto the runway already (Establish best glide,
gear/no gear, flaps, fuel, electrical, door, don't panic, fly, etc.)

Seems like you could make a pretty succinct kneeboard checklist so
you're not wasting time flipping anything.

-c

Old June 18th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_2_]

"K l e i n" wrote in message
On Jun 17, 4:46 pm, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
Do YOU have one? Do you rehearse it or practice it while the pressure
is off? If not, why not? What do you use for immediate action and why?

What I've been working on is a checklist for my wife to use to save
her life (and maybe mine) in the event of a sudden incapacitation of
the PIC (me). It's a turbine twin so it's no small task for someone
unfamiliar to get it on the ground safely. She has a ppsel but hasn't
flown solo in almost thirty years. At least she knows what a good
approach and landing looks like. In this case, a good landing would
not require reuse of the airplane.

K l e i n

Have you considered the AOPA Pinch Hitters Course?
see: http://www.avweb.com/news/safety/183023-1.html

--
Regards, BobF.

Old June 18th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Jun 17, 7:21*pm, "RST Engineering" wrote:
Of course not. *The checklist for a goose coming through the windshield is
completely different than smoke in the cockpit is completely different from
the engine burping and stopping is completely different from ... (insert
multiple scenarios here).

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."
* * * * --Aristotle

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in ...

Do YOU have one? Do you rehearse it or practice it while the pressure
is off? If not, why not? What do you use for immediate action and why?- Hide quoted text -

OF COURSE NOT? Do you just wait to see what happens before you make
any kind of plan? Jim I'm not trying to start an argument and of
course every emergency is likely to be different. What I AM trying to
do is make people think ahead of emergencies. This most recent
accident where the pilot dead sticked a Bonanza onto a 2000' grass
strip and wrecked the airplane prompted the post.
He was headed for my base of operations which is about 10 miles away
when he said his engine quit. There is a lot of swampy area but there
is also I-65 which borders the strip he chose for landing. I suspect
the pressure got to him and he picked the best of his personal
options. Don't know the man or his capabilities so its dumb to say
what he "coulda woulda shoulda done".
BTW, in over 50 years I've had more than 15 actual emergencies and any
number of minor ones like birds coming thru the windshield.
Cheers
Ol S&B
Old June 18th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Jun 17, 7:36*pm, Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:46:47 -0700 (PDT), "Ol Shy & Bashful"
wrote in
:

Do YOU have one? Do you rehearse it or practice it while the pressure
is off? If not, why not? What do you use for immediate action and why?

This is the first I've heard of that term. *Are you referring to
emergency procedures contained in the aircraft's POH?

Larry
Immediate Emergency Action is just exactly that. If you check stats,
the vast majority of engine failures occur because of fuel problems.
Fuel exhaustion, fuel starvation, fuel contamination or a mechanical
like fuel pump or fuel line failure. I think its like 80%? So, if a
pilot does the obvious like fuel tank select, mixture, throttle, carb
heat (if carbureted) fuel pump on (if so equipped) there is a chance
of taking care of the problem without heading for the trees while
digging out the checklist and crashing. Most of the POH info goes thru
the litany of things to check while setting up for a crash and down
towards the bottom kind of as an afterthought says "Attempt to restart
the engine if time permits..." That is kind of after the fact and way
too late.
When I was flying a variety of aircraft and jumping from one to
another, I tried to do the procedure for one that did not apply and
damned near put it into the trees. After that, I took time to review
Immediate Action Items for the specific aircraft I was flying before I
took off. I rehearsed the specific immediate action items before
takeoff and still do it to this day and teach my students the same. If
an engine quits at less than 500' agl, there is not much time to
decide what to do and it sure is better to have a game plan rehearsed
immediately beforehand. I spent about 40 years doing crop dusting or
ag operations and the margin for error is pretty narrow as is the time
to react to emergencies. That is where I got my basis for this answer.
Cheers
Ol S&B
Old June 18th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jun 17, 5:46*pm, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
Do YOU have one?

Yes, but in the real deal emergency, valuable time wasted reaching for
it and getting oriented to where to start reading.

Do you rehearse it or practice it while the pressure is off? If not, why not?

No, too many variables and too many situations and most importantly,
not like the real deal.

What do you use for immediate action and why?

Trouble shooting first (AVIATE), Landing spot second (NAVIGATE),
declare emergency third (COMMUNICATE).

http://tinyurl.com/6ngvp7 for my in flight emergency and how I handled
it.

I consider it utmost important the emergency procedures be memorized,
as when the crap hits the fan, reading a list would be distracting and
may excasperate the problem.

NOW.... if I had a passenger, pulling the list and having them look it
over and read it to ensure I didn't miss anything would be good CRM.
In my case, it wouldn't have done squat.

Checklist Larry D. Cosby Piloting 148 March 29th 08 05:10 AM
Checklist use Private Piloting 2 February 12th 08 09:25 PM
747-100 Checklist Bartscher General Aviation 0 December 18th 04 08:20 PM
Jepp checklist: How did you do? Peter R. Instrument Flight Rules 9 November 10th 04 02:34 PM
C-180 100 hr checklist ConchyJoe Owning 1 May 3rd 04 11:53 PM