Wing De-Icing Question

Old February 13th 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert11[_2_]

Default Wing De-Icing Question

Hello,

I guess de-icing is going to be a popular subject.

Question, please: On commercial jet airliners like, e.g., a 767 or 757, is
there any in-flight deicing system for the wing and tail surfaces, other
than a leading edge pneumatic boot ?

What about the "main," large upper surfaces ?

How in general is wing de-icing accomplished on these new, modern jets ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old February 13th 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello,

I guess de-icing is going to be a popular subject.

Question, please: On commercial jet airliners like, e.g., a 767 or 757,
is there any in-flight deicing system for the wing and tail surfaces,
other than a leading edge pneumatic boot ?

What about the "main," large upper surfaces ?

How in general is wing de-icing accomplished on these new, modern jets ?

Hot bypass air from the engines is what they use, in general. I have to
admit I do not know it the 787 is going to go truly all electric, or still
use hot engine air to heat the wings.

Once you get up to airliners of a larger size, the use of boots is not
common. In smaller turbine commuters, and in piston planes, (especially
pistons) there is not enough heat produced to heat wings.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 13th 09, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 13, 1:44*pm, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

I guess de-icing is going to be a popular subject.

Question, please: *On commercial jet airliners like, e.g., a 767 or 757, is
there any in-flight deicing system for the wing and tail surfaces, other
than a leading edge pneumatic boot ?

What about the "main," large upper surfaces ?

How in general is wing de-icing accomplished on these new, modern jets ?

Thanks,
Bob

Jets don't typically have boots. Most use hot air stollen from the
engines to heat the leading edges. Some use a "leak" system to drip
anti-freeze like solution on the tail surfaces to avoid having to
plumb the hot air to the rear, although this is less common. I'm not
sure that I woudl call the type of plane that crashed less modern than
a 767 considering by-pass jet engines (the type in a 767) have been
around longer than turbo prop engines that were involed in this recent
crash.

-Robert
Old February 14th 09, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
K l e i n[_2_]

On Feb 13, 3:36*pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
[...]

The more I hear about this, the more it sounds like tailplane icing.
Take a look at http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...23060735779946
for a NASA produced video on the subject.

Note that this flight started its plunge right at or after the outer
marker. The outer marker is where you normally lower gear and flaps.
Lowering flaps is the thing that causes the tailplane stall if the
tailplane is iced up.

K l e i n

Old February 15th 09, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Robert11" wrote in
:

Hello,

I guess de-icing is going to be a popular subject.

Question, please: On commercial jet airliners like, e.g., a 767 or
757, is there any in-flight deicing system for the wing and tail
surfaces, other than a leading edge pneumatic boot ?

What about the "main," large upper surfaces ?

How in general is wing de-icing accomplished on these new, modern jets
?

on flight, generally, not at all. On most jets, only the wings and engines
have anti or de-icing and it's accomplished by bleeding hot air out of the
compressor section of the engines. The engine anti ice is used frequently,
but wing de icing is seldom used simply because ice seldom forms on the
wings in flight. There is no deicing for the tops of the wings in jets.

Bertie
Old February 15th 09, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.disasters.aviation,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_28_]

"Morgans" wrote in
:

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello,

I guess de-icing is going to be a popular subject.

Question, please: On commercial jet airliners like, e.g., a 767 or
757, is there any in-flight deicing system for the wing and tail
surfaces, other than a leading edge pneumatic boot ?

What about the "main," large upper surfaces ?

How in general is wing de-icing accomplished on these new, modern
jets ?

Hot bypass air from the engines is what they use, in general. I have
to admit I do not know it the 787 is going to go truly all electric,
or still use hot engine air to heat the wings.

Once you get up to airliners of a larger size, the use of boots is not
common. In smaller turbine commuters, and in piston planes,
(especially pistons) there is not enough heat produced to heat wings.

yes, there is. there have been many pistons with hot wings, fjukkwit.

Bertie

Old February 15th 09, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On Feb 13, 4:44*pm, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

I guess de-icing is going to be a popular subject.

Question, please: *On commercial jet airliners like, e.g., a 767 or 757, is
there any in-flight deicing system for the wing and tail surfaces, other
than a leading edge pneumatic boot ?

What about the "main," large upper surfaces ?

How in general is wing de-icing accomplished on these new, modern jets ?

Thanks,
Bob

There's a very good chance the Boston crash might have been tailplane
icing.
DH
Old February 15th 09, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cavedweller

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...60735779946for a NASA
produced video on the subject.

Note that this flight started its plunge right at or after the outer
marker. *The outer marker is where you normally lower gear and flaps.
Lowering flaps is the thing that causes the tailplane stall if the
tailplane is iced up.

Rubbish.

Bertie- Hide quoted text -

The NASA study on tail stall notwithstanding?
Old February 15th 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 06:00:13 -0800 (PST), Dudley Henriques wrote:

On Feb 13, 4:44*pm, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

I guess de-icing is going to be a popular subject.

Question, please: *On commercial jet airliners like, e.g., a 767 or 757, is
there any in-flight deicing system for the wing and tail surfaces, other
than a leading edge pneumatic boot ?

What about the "main," large upper surfaces ?

How in general is wing de-icing accomplished on these new, modern jets ?

Thanks,
Bob

There's a very good chance the Boston crash might have been tailplane
icing.
DH

To explain the erratic flight behavior?