Spinal Surgery - part II

Old October 31st 08, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Spinal Surgery - part II

Hi guys.

Thanks for the boost.

It is 2200 (that's ten p.m. for you civilians) and I've been home
since about 1400. But I can't tell you if the surgery was a success
or not. I didn't see the physician after the procedure was done and
they used a general instead of a local, so I didn't get to participate
in the action.

Frankly, I'm still doped up. If I wake up screaming I'll know the
procedure didn't work. As will the neighbors. But I've got my hopes
up.

If the procedure WAS a success it means the PAIN will be locked back
in its cave. And if the PAIN is removed from the equation, it will
allow them to use more aggressive measures against the tumor. And
that means there's a good chance I will be able to recover much of the
strength I've lost. And THAT means I can get at those engines, and
the fuel tank and the umpty-leben ribs for the DBK's tapered wing, and
finishing that Siler lock that's suppose to snap fire in that replica
Hawkins I've been fooling with for the past... too many years.

Lotsa stuff like that.

But mostly it means they'll have a better chance of CONTROLLING the
tumor... of preventing its spread... of buying me a few more months
not only on this planet but in the air above it.

-R.S.Hoover
Old October 31st 08, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

wrote:
[...]

It's good to hear that you're feeling good enough to post on the group.
We're all pulling for you. In cases like this words fail me but the
best I can do is to let you know that you're in my prayers.

Tony
Old October 31st 08, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Flyingmonk[_1_]

Hey Bob,

Good to see you back and so soon! I was expecting you to be bed
ridden for a little while. I hope, like you said, that the operation
put the pain back in the cave.

Monk
Old October 31st 08, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Oct 30, 10:20*pm, " wrote:
[...]

To All:

I woke up SCREAMING. Apparently they doped me up with Demerol or some
other high-value pain killer to get me home. That is, the procedure
was NOT performed.

-R.S.Hoover
Old October 31st 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart Fields

wrote in message
On Oct 30, 10:20 pm, " wrote:
[...]

Jesus! Did they have a reason for not performing the procedure? Did they
send you home with any kind of pain killer?

Old October 31st 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
wright1902glider

Veedub,

Well, they ain't killed 'ya yet. That's good. Hope its better this
morning and not worse.

One of the great things about living where I do, on the front range
flats of the high desert in Colorado is my morning commute. Sounds
stupid that anyone would enjoy commuting in the morning, but my drive
takes me down 11 miles of CR 52 west. 52 is a straight shot, laid out
on a minor miridian as many roads are in CO. Its singular feature is
that it provides one of the most spectacular views of the rocky
mountains that is possible to see. On good days it stretches from
Pike's Peak 70+ miles south, to the Wyoming border 70+ miles north.
Spectacular 14,000+ foot peaks, glaciers, the flatirons, and great
fields of wheat and corn. And every day its different. And no matter
how bad I feel in the morning, I always enjoy that 15 minutes. Just to
see what's happening with the mountains that day.

I'm not sure I'd have that perspective on life if I hadn't been
reading your posts for the last few years. It seems each one
reinforces my belief that simple things can be amazing and that
ordinary people are capable of doing extraordinary things if they only
take the time to look around or learn how. A few years ago, you told
me something that has become one of my shop mantras: "No one is born
knowing how to weld." We learn from our own experiences, and if we are
wise, from the experiences of others. And I'm glad that you're still
with us, because I feel that you're still teaching many of us. If not
about the idiosyncracies of VW engines and unconventional building,
then certainly about life.

Thank you.

Harry Frey

Old October 31st 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
wright1902glider

On Oct 31, 9:51*am, wright1902glider wrote:

Hope its better this
morning and not worse.

Damn!

Hang in there buddy.

Harry

Old October 31st 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

To All:

I woke up SCREAMING. *Apparently they doped me up with Demerol or some
other high-value pain killer to get me home. *That is, the procedure
was NOT performed.

-R.S.Hoover-

Bob ............

Let them use whatever chemicals you need to stop the pain. Dependency
is not an issue.

When I was out of back surgery a couple of years ago, the pain was bad
for a couple of weeks. The only things that kept me going were enough
drugs to take the knife edge off and a daily phone call from a dear
friend. Consider this note your call for today, from me.

Bless you, my friend.

Rich S.
Old October 31st 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

wrote in message
I woke up SCREAMING. Apparently they doped me up with Demerol or some
other high-value pain killer to get me home. That is, the procedure
was NOT performed.

Sorry to here that.

Just one data point - the Dr's told my dad that he had 6 months to live -
but he didn't like to talk about that kind of stuff so he didn't tell us
about it until 8 or 10 years later...

Hang in there. We're pulling for you.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old November 1st 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Flyingmonk[_1_]

On Oct 31, 11:10 am, " wrote:

To All:

I woke up SCREAMING. Apparently they doped me up with Demerol or some
other high-value pain killer to get me home. That is, the procedure
was NOT performed.

-R.S.Hoover

Crap! How can they do that to you? That sux. Don't they realize the
anxiety that people go thru just to get themselves ready for such an
operation? They better have a good reason.

Good luck again Bob.

Monk