Bad medical examiner postcript

Old December 19th 05, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Bad medical examiner postcript

Actually, in another cruel twist of fate, since I live in our nation's
capitol, Washington, D.C., I don't actually have a senator.

Then write the president. Sure, he won't answer personally, but white
house staff may be able to do something. Else write a neighboring senator.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old December 19th 05, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Larry Dighera wrote:
I would guess,

wrong approach. Check NTSB database and tell
us how many gliders went down due to medical
issues (if you find any)

--Sylvain
Old December 19th 05, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

how many gliders went down due to medical
issues

Still better would be how many on the ground (3rd party) have ever been
killed by no-medical glider pilots. (Ha!)

I read in an interesting WWII history book "Blood, Sweat, and Folly"
(about that name but since given away & can't remember the author) that
describes many of the subtle screwups etc of pre-WWII -

"The reason so many regulations for private pilots were generated in
the '20s after WWI was the paranoia that most governments had to aerial
surveilance"

Old December 20th 05, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

But interestingly, the OP is a lawyer.

Old December 20th 05, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Congressman?

Old December 20th 05, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Morgans wrote:
"George Patterson" wrote

Completely immaterial. The only important question is how many of these
incidents were caused by medical conditions that would have been caught

during a

typical FAA exam. Many of these incidents would have been prevented if

drivers

had to go through the same procedure.

This could be argued adnauseum (is that a word?) with no answers.

Actually, that's two words. I think you misunderstand me. As I said, the only
question is how many of these incidents were caused by medical conditions that
would have been caught. *If there are any*, most of them would've been prevented
by medical exams (there are always people who will drive after their licenses
are revoked).

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old December 20th 05, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

nrp wrote:

Still better would be how many on the ground (3rd party) have ever been
killed by no-medical glider pilots. (Ha!)

No really material to powered flight, The reason that the FAA does not require
medical exams for glider pilots is that gliders don't weigh much, don't travel
at high speeds, and don't carry fuel. Therefore, they can't cause a lot of
damage in a crash. The only important question is how many glider crashes have
been caused by conditions that would have been caught by a medical exam. Those
crashes have the potential of causing severe damgae on the ground in something
like a Bonanza (and have done so).

"The reason so many regulations for private pilots were generated in
the '20s after WWI was the paranoia that most governments had to aerial
surveilance"

Blood, Tears and Folly, by Len Deighton. The author was writing about
regulations produced by the European nations and Britain. He made it very clear
that this was not the case in the United States.

Old December 20th 05, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:47:15 -0600, "Montblack"
wrote:

Many of us had ADD 30, 40, 50 years ago. Back then they had a different name
for it. We were called ...boys.

Montblack
Stop fidgeting
Pay attention
Stop staring out the window
Stop poking her with your pencil
Pay attention
Stop tapping on your desk
Stop talking in line
Pay attention
Stop rolling your pencil on your desktop
Stop squirming in your chair
Stop counting ceiling tiles during music class
(...more after lunch)

T H A N K Y O U ! ! ! ! ! !

I've been saying this for a looong time. Most people just think I'm
insensitive.

Old December 20th 05, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
oups.com...
It is scary that a guy with a heart attack is able to use his political
connections to get back at the controls of a 400-passenger airline,
while a student pilot is prevented from taking his checkride in a
Cessna 152 because he had ADD 30 years ago.

Ok, it's even worse than that. Let me tell you about a guy I know.

This guy always seemed to be in trouble for one thing or another, never
managed to "live up to his potential" blah, blah, blah. Anyhow, at one point
he decides to learn to fly. Takes lessons and stuff. Turns out he's pretty
good at it. Gets a medical - no problem. Passes check ride with flying
colors. Fly's a couple three hundred accident free hours. So, that suggests
to me, at least, that he probably actually was capable of flying an
airplane, right?

Anyhow, life happens. He gets married - things are rocky, but what's new?
Has kids, kids go to school. School starts sending stuff home about ADD.
Wife reads the stiff and says "I don't know about our child, but I think
whoever wrote this stuff has been following you around." So, this guy
finally agrees to see a doctor. Doctor says ADD. Ok, the guy goes to another
doctor. This doctor says ADD. The guy then tries an "adult ADD clinic" After
piles of questionnaires, half a day or so of testing, the results come
back - ADD. What's a guy to do? Ok, he tries the medication. His marriage
gets better. He starts doing way better at work. He'd probably even be a lot
better pilot. But. Of course, now he can't get a medical.

You see, the way things work is, It's OK to fly if you have a problem like
ADD (or depression, or ...) as long as you don't know (or admit) it. But no
matter how well you flew without knowing about the problem, once you address
the problem and take steps that would make you a BETTER, SAFER pilot, NOW
you have to stop.

Explain how that makes sense.

--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com

Old December 20th 05, 08:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:08:07 GMT, George Patterson
wrote in XPIpf.10446$aU4.1733@trnddc06::

The reason that the FAA does not require
medical exams for glider pilots is that gliders don't weigh much, don't travel
at high speeds, and don't carry fuel.

And seldom fly over congested areas.