C-150 for photos?

Old December 4th 03, 04:34 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Dale wrote:

I've opened windows in 150/152/172/182 and 206 and never noticed any
roll or need for any aileron and for certain "nearly full" aileron was
not needed.

You're absolutely correct - that should've been nearly full left *rudder*.

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".
Old December 4th 03, 06:08 PM
Dale

In article ,
"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

You're absolutely correct - that should've been nearly full left *rudder*.

I still have the same question. I've never noticed a need for control
input with a window open.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old December 4th 03, 10:04 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Dale wrote:

In article ,
"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

You're absolutely correct - that should've been nearly full left *rudder*.

I still have the same question. I've never noticed a need for control
input with a window open.

I did in my '69 Cessna 150J.

Old December 4th 03, 10:33 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Wayne wrote:

Hmmm, I was reading about taking pictures from planes and most recommended a
300mm lens..

While the focal length is desireable, it's difficult to hold a lens that large
steady in something like a 150. If you opt for the longer lenses, I would also
opt for 400 ASA film and use a fast shutter speed.

Old December 4th 03, 11:07 PM
CVBreard

A couple of additional comments:

1.) I generally shoot behind the strut rather than ahead of it (between the
strut and the fuselage), and usually about the 9 o'clock or even 8 o'clock
position in an effort to keep the strut out of the image. I push the seat back
as far as safe.

2.) I generally shoot at 1/750th, even with the two Canon Image Stabilizing
lens 'on'. 400 speed film. I routinely shoot at 200 - 300mm f/l.

3.) You may want to check the window HINGES, particularly in older 150/152/172
series. They may not have been lubricated in DECADES. One of our PAPA members
reports losing a window in flight because the hinge failed.

4.) I've not encountered any significant yaw , pitch or roll problems in any of
the 150/152 and 172s I have flown with the pilot's side window open, no
tired-leg, etc.

5.) Altitude is your friend. The 1500' agl I typically shoot at gives me a
significant additional margin of safety (over, say, 1000' agl) if I have engine
trouble (and I did), generally has smoother air, fewer TV towers. If you can't
get acceptable images at 1500', maybe you need another lens (or camera). :-)

Old December 5th 03, 02:07 AM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 17:04:37 -0500, G.R. Patterson III wrote:

I did in my '69 Cessna 150J.

And I have in my 74 and in a rental 75 and in a rental 66. All required
rudder input only.

Old December 5th 03, 03:35 AM
G.R. Patterson III

"Matthew P. Cummings" wrote:

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 17:04:37 -0500, G.R. Patterson III wrote:

I did in my '69 Cessna 150J.

And I have in my 74 and in a rental 75 and in a rental 66. All required
rudder input only.

Which is what I said.

Old December 6th 03, 01:49 AM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 22:35:22 -0500, G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Which is what I said.

Yup, the second time and I wanted to agree with you and support your
correct observation.

I don't know how those that claim to not notice any change have that
effect since every plane I've ever flown exhibits that change. Of course,
if both windows are open it's a different story, maybe their planes leak
air more than the ones I've flown.