Pilot's 2nd Fatal Accident

Old May 18th 04, 04:49 PM
NW_PILOT

Scott Develin will be missed I was just getting to know him he was a
excellent mechanic and a really nice guy helped me out a bunch this hits to
close to home.

"Aardvark" wrote in message
SUNDAY'S Plane Crash Is Pilot's 2nd Fatal Accident
KOMO - Seattle,WA,USA
... Ghyrn Loveness, 20, was flying a Cessna 170 when he crashed. KOMO 4
News has learned this is the second fatal plane crash Loveness has been
involved in. ...
http://www.komotv.com/stories/31286.htm

Old May 18th 04, 05:12 PM
Bela P. Havasreti

On Tue, 18 May 2004 10:43:42 -0400, Richard Russell
wrote:

Betcha a big glass of your favorite beer there is/was no autopilot
in the 170 (who would put an autopilot in a 170?!!!).
What more likely happened, is the "witness" heard what
he wanted to hear (the pilot was quoted at some point saying
(words to the effect that) he was just "cruising along and POOF...
he never saw the other aircraft"

Bela P. Havasreti

On Tue, 18 May 2004 13:02:15 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Aside from the fact that this lad should perhaps find a safer pastime...

Did he really land his Cessna 170, after a mid-air collision, with his
engine no longer attached to the airframe -- by turning on the *auto-pilot*?

Good question. The report was ambiguous. It could be interpreted
that he was putting on the autopilot just prior to the crash.
Depending on how you interpret what was written, the autopilot could
have saved his butt or contributed to the cause of the accident by
providing a distraction. The investigation will sort it all out, I'm
sure.
Rich Russell

Old May 18th 04, 05:16 PM
NW_PILOT

Scott will be missed anyone that knows him will know that he was a great
person would help with almost anything I was just getting to know Scott. He
was a great mechanic helped me try and find my first airplane with out
anything in return. I hope his wife Heather and kids get through this rough
time.

Please Visit His Web Site For More Information In Ways To Donate To His
Family

http://www.devlinaviation.com

Old May 18th 04, 05:41 PM
NW_PILOT

You forgot looking at a chart (well they call it a map)

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

wrote:

Aside from the fact that this lad should perhaps find a safer

pastime...

Did he really land his Cessna 170, after a mid-air collision, with

his
engine no longer attached to the airframe -- by turning on the

*auto-pilot*?

Good question. The report was ambiguous. It could be interpreted
that he was putting on the autopilot just prior to the crash.
Depending on how you interpret what was written, the autopilot could
have saved his butt or contributed to the cause of the accident by
providing a distraction. The investigation will sort it all out, I'm
sure.

Sounds a bit like this one where the pilot was looking down (to engage

the
autopilot??) and had a collision.
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...11X09798&key=1

That is a different accident. The accident in question here happened near
Tenino, WA on Sunday and involved a collision between a Cessna 210 and a
170.

Old May 18th 04, 06:06 PM
C J Campbell

wrote:

Betcha a big glass of your favorite beer there is/was no autopilot
in the 170 (who would put an autopilot in a 170?!!!).

My favorite 'beer' is root beer.

Old May 18th 04, 06:31 PM
Peter R.

NW_PILOT ) wrote:

Please Visit His Web Site For More Information In Ways To Donate To His
Family

http://www.devlinaviation.com

Website appears to be down.

--
Peter

Old May 18th 04, 06:31 PM
Bela P. Havasreti

On Tue, 18 May 2004 10:06:28 -0700, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

But I "win" the bet, and mine isn't root beer (mine is Moose Drool).

So pay up! 8^)

Bela P. Havasreti

Old May 18th 04, 09:11 PM
Don Tuite

wrote:

Betcha a big glass of your favorite beer there is/was no autopilot
in the 170 (who would put an autopilot in a 170?!!!).

My favorite 'beer' is root beer.

FWIW, the club's '61 172 has a functioning Tactair single-axis AP.
(Alll pneumatic, BTW. Even the servos run off vacuum.) I bet the STC
covers the 170 as well.

Don
Old May 18th 04, 10:20 PM
Bela P. Havasreti

wrote:

Betcha a big glass of your favorite beer there is/was no autopilot
in the 170 (who would put an autopilot in a 170?!!!).

My favorite 'beer' is root beer.

FWIW, the club's '61 172 has a functioning Tactair single-axis AP.
(Alll pneumatic, BTW. Even the servos run off vacuum.) I bet the STC
covers the 170 as well.

Don

I don't doubt that, but a venturi-equipped 170 with a Tactair AP
system? You won't find me flying one in the clouds....

I guess the point of my original comment is the 170 "enjoys" (shall we
say) sub-standard performance as it is with only 145hp up front.
Adding the weight of an auto pilot and/or other fancy gizmos in the
panel is kinda asking for trouble.... unless you only intend to fly
it at or around sea-level on relatively cool days.

(and yes, I own a C-170B and am instrument rated).

Bela P. Havasreti