Pilot nearly crashes in IMC, Controller helps

Old September 26th 05, 03:59 AM
john smith

NAATS's copyright applies because the material is not in the original
form. I won't belabor that point other than to say your public library can
provide you with yards of literary legalisms.

But if it in the public domain, fair use doctrine applies, does it not?
Old September 26th 05, 04:04 AM
Jay Honeck

To pluck something off that site and apply it to anything other than
personal use (like putting on your own website and making it accessible to
the public) is an infringement of the copyright.

While I agree 100%, I would think that NAATS would be looking at *intent*
here, not just "copyright infringement."

Since we're on their side, and clearly doing them a service by hosting the
audio tape, I'm wondering what kind of fool in NAATS would be *against* us
providing access to the tape, free of charge, for pilots to hear?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 26th 05, 04:10 AM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

While I agree 100%, I would think that NAATS would be looking at *intent*
here, not just "copyright infringement."

Then why don't you ask them?

George Patterson
Old September 26th 05, 04:16 AM
Jay Honeck

While I agree 100%, I would think that NAATS would be looking at *intent*
here, not just "copyright infringement."

Then why don't you ask them?

I believe I shall.

Anyone here got a contact inside NAATS?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 26th 05, 06:45 AM
Montblack

wrote)
[snip]
My oh my. Well, it's certainly educational in the tradition of those
"blood on the highway" drivers ed movies.

http://www.cinemaweb.com/highwaysafety/
"Did they fail to see the stop sign, or choose to ignore it?"

It's on my Christmas 'wish list' ...so was the Albuquerque Balloon Festival
this year (starts in 5 days) but that didn't happen either. g

pout, pout ...next year.

http://www.aibf.org/

Montblack

Old September 26th 05, 07:13 AM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists.

Such a black and white world we live in. No shades of grey, no
colors... just black and white. What few choices...

Of course, I know I don't need to remind you that it is the terrorists
themselves who have cast the battle in such stark terms.

And any situation in life, broken down properly, can be cast in black or
white.

Old September 26th 05, 02:11 PM
Jay Honeck

http://www.cinemaweb.com/highwaysafety/
"Did they fail to see the stop sign, or choose to ignore it?"

I remember that film! Scared the bejeesus out of me!

(Which was probably a very good thing...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 26th 05, 04:37 PM
Casey Wilson

"john smith" wrote in message
NAATS's copyright applies because the material is not in the original
form. I won't belabor that point other than to say your public library
can
provide you with yards of literary legalisms.

But if it in the public domain, fair use doctrine applies, does it not?

The doctrine of fair use is limited, however. For example, a radio station
may use only a 20-second "sound bite" of a song without having to pay the
royalty fee through ASCAP. I don't know what NAATS might consider fair use.

Old September 26th 05, 04:45 PM
Casey Wilson

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
To pluck something off that site and apply it to anything other than
personal use (like putting on your own website and making it accessible
to the public) is an infringement of the copyright.

While I agree 100%, I would think that NAATS would be looking at *intent*
here, not just "copyright infringement."

Since we're on their side, and clearly doing them a service by hosting the
audio tape, I'm wondering what kind of fool in NAATS would be *against* us
providing access to the tape, free of charge, for pilots to hear?
--

I doubt any -- especially if you give them or their website a plug.
I've been very successful at sending an email to organizations and

Casey

Old September 26th 05, 11:34 PM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote

I remember that film! Scared the bejeesus out of me!

Were you able to play it from that site, or do you have to buy it to see it?
--
Jim in NC