Austin, TX

Old September 15th 03, 04:03 AM
Gerry Caron

"James Blakely" wrote in
message ...
Am I reading this right, Gerry? You lived in Austin and moved to

Melbourne,
FL?

Yup.

If so, that is very funny because I now live in Melbourne and may be

moving
to Austin.

I'm envious.

How does Melbourne compare to Austin? In my opinion, Melbourne should be
called Melboring. Anyplace has to be more exciting than Melbourne.

You got that one right.

Do you have any compare and contrasts you can share with me?

Everything is different. People are polite. Parking places are small and
half the people drive Suburbans or big pickups.

First, the average age in Austin is probably 30 years lower than
Melbourne's. That says a lot right there. It is a college town that
doesn't act too much like one once you get a ways away from campus, but the
Longhorn influence is everywhere.

It's a high tech, fast moving culture. A less expensive Silicon Valley, AKA
"Silicon Hills." Big business and little start-ups everywhere. Though
things are a little slower these days.

Central Market is the only supermarket I've seen that could be classified as
a tourist attraction. My wife keeps wanting to take a quick trip on
Southwest just to do some grocery shopping.

Food is one thing I miss. Something with some spice. There isn't a
Mexican/Tex-Mex restaurant in Florida that would survive a week in Austin.
My favorite is Chuy's (pronounced Chewey's). Threadgill's is another
favorite for down home cooking. Finding a BBQ joint is an adventure --
there's only a few hundred.

As for the music/club scene: Compared to Melbourne's Street Party, downtown
on first Friday's -- If you doubled downtown, added in a dozen clubs all
with live music, you'd have 6th Street on a slow night.

As for concerts, there's everything from classical and opera to major rock
tours and Willie's 4th of July party on his ranch.

Lake Travis and the hill country in your backyard. San Antonio is only 1
1/2 hours away.

Plenty for sports fans: UT games, Friday night HS football is a religion in
TX.

Enough.

BTW, I'll be offline until Fri night.

Gerry

Old September 15th 03, 03:52 PM
Gilan

I forgot all about Chuy's. You are right I sure miss the great food.
I lived in Austin 5 years and flew a UL out in Bateman. Nice to read a
message from someone else that misses Austin.
I'm west of Orlando in Clermont. You are welcome to drop in at our field
3FD4 anytime
--
Florida Flying Gators
http://www.flyinggators.com

Join "The Ultralight & Experimental Aircraft SiteRing"
http://pub27.bravenet.com/sitering/a...num=2286862090

Have a good day and stay out of the trees!
See ya on Sport Aircraft group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sport_Aircraft/

Old December 10th 04, 02:00 AM
Andy

I just got finished a 777 Tokyo trip with the most meticulous, cautious
captain I've seen in years.

He and another American pilot recently got caught up in Lakeway's New
Millenium version of a rural southern speedtrap.

My guy landed in daylight, having been giving sightseeing rides to
residents. At about 100 feet on short final, he heard a voice saying
that the airport was closed.

The comment made no sense, and he landed.

Ten minutes or so later, as he walked to his car, a constable pulled up
and issued him a $ 1 , 2 0 0 "citation" for landing after sunset.

Never mind the fact he'd been on the ground for some time: he had no
proof of actual landing time. It became obvious to him, as he
protested this injustice, that he'd uncovered a carefully planned
scheme to defraud hapless visitors to this community.

The general aviation community has no room for sleeze of this nature,
and its pilots need to be made aware that these types of miscreants
have somehow infiltrated our ranks.

Add Lakeway to Crawford as qualifying for the "black magic-marker
treatment" on your Texas sectionals!

Neal wrote:
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 04:00:02 GMT, "Ronnie D. Hughes"
wrote:

There is also Lakeway, forgot the ID, but I never go in there. Also

no
night ops, private lots around the runway, and higher priced real

estate
around. Typical house and hangar combos there are $500K and up.
Too rich for me. Rumor has it that the Lakeway police will
issue a citation ($250?) if you land or takeoff after sunset, but

before
dark.
They take their no nighttime ops rules seriously.

Lakeway is 3R9. I've been there a few times and they seem plenty
friendly to transient visitors. No hangar space but they'll lease you
outdoor tiedown space if you join the airport club and if there is
spaces available.

The no-night ops is pretty reasonable at this particular airport due
to the terrain and homes right next to, and at either end of the
runway. Fairly steep approaches are needed at either end of the

runway
(no "dragging it in low and slow" here or someone will need a new

roof
on their house) plus the large number of deer and other wildlife on
the runway could make it a rather dangerous place for night ops. I
nearly hit a deer on landing there myself.

Old December 10th 04, 06:59 AM
Dude

Never mind the fact he'd been on the ground for some time: he had no
proof of actual landing time. It became obvious to him, as he
protested this injustice, that he'd uncovered a carefully planned
scheme to defraud hapless visitors to this community.

He can likely avoid this by hiring a traffic ticket lawyer. In Texas,
rarely do these guys lose a case. He might also want to get the AOPA on his
side. Seems they may be running afoul of Federal turf.

The general aviation community has no room for sleeze of this nature,
and its pilots need to be made aware that these types of miscreants
have somehow infiltrated our ranks.

Add Lakeway to Crawford as qualifying for the "black magic-marker
treatment" on your Texas sectionals!

The people at Lakeway have never really wanted anyone to come there that
they did not know. Unfortunately, almost all the other airports around have
been closed by the NIMBY's (Austin is famous for its idiot activist
population who think government can and should solve every complaint and
inconvenience). Also, the dear thing is just getting out of hand around
there. Who knows how many people they will kill in accdents before someone
starts managing the herd.

Anyway, if you don't go there, they will be happy not to see you. Luckily,
the rest of Texas seems much friendlier.

Old December 11th 04, 03:08 AM
Fox Hound

[...]

If they are going to be such dickheads about it, and there is no FBO there
anyway, why don't they just make it a private airport instead of public use
?

Old December 11th 04, 04:50 AM

Dude wrote:

The people at Lakeway have never really wanted anyone to come there

that
they did not know. Unfortunately, almost all the other airports

around have
been closed by the NIMBY's (Austin is famous for its idiot activist
population who think government can and should solve every complaint

and
inconvenience). Also, the dear thing is just getting out of hand

around
there. Who knows how many people they will kill in accdents before

someone
starts managing the herd.

Anyway, if you don't go there, they will be happy not to see you.

Luckily,
the rest of Texas seems much friendlier.

I've landed at Lakeway a couple times as a "transient", and stayed
overnight and nobody there ever copped a 'tude with me, in fact they
were quite friendly to me.

They do seem pretty adamant about the "no ops after sunset" thing.
Given the neighborhood surrounding the airport and steep approaches
over very expensive homes at both ends of the runway, I kinda
understand where they're coming from.

The deer are definitely a problem. The last time I landed there, one
darted out directly in front of me during rollout after touchdown... in
broad daylight. I almost had to veer completely off the runway into the
grass to avoid making a fresh batch of hairy venisonburger with the
prop but the deer turned and ran away at the last moment.

Old December 11th 04, 09:04 PM
Dude

It's been a sort of recent development that everyone is landing there. I
may be misstating the case with my previous comment.

They will likely be friendly enough to you as a person, they just would
rather not have so much traffic. OTOH, I don't think they really want to
stop people from coming because there isn't much else for people to do but
go to AUS which is not really close to where many people are going.

It's like they want to be friendly and let everyone come, but they are
attracting so many people now that I think its wearing on them.

Old December 11th 04, 09:22 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Fox Hound" wrote:

[...]

About 20 years ago I was thinking of moving to Austin and checked out
Lakeway. The impression I got was that, if you weren't interested in
tennis, you weren't truly welcome there. Nobody wanted to talk about the
airport and its facilities, so I wrote the place off then and there.

I now live at Spruce Creek (FL) and love it!

Airparks near Austin TX TIm Gilbert Owning 14 October 3rd 05 03:18 PM
Austin, Texas, Scam Snares Unwary Pilots Andy Shane General Aviation 5 December 22nd 04 10:23 PM
Austin, TX James Blakely Owning 18 December 11th 04 09:22 PM
looking for Capella Air ranch near Austin Texas TIm Gilbert Owning 2 July 22nd 04 05:51 AM
I love you Chris Austin - no story - just memories Treadhead9 General Aviation 0 July 15th 04 04:53 AM