O.T. Actual airline pilot conversations

Old November 16th 04, 06:41 PM
Robert Briggs

[Top-posting fixed at no extra charge; NGs trimmed]

Dave S wrote:
Bob Ward wrote:
Dave S wrote:

Thats maybe the 4th time this year I've seen those...

So I guess your posting provided the fifth ...

And do you have any sort of awards for top-posting idiots who
can't be bothered to trim their quotes?

Nope.. actually I dont. Thanks for asking though.

It is, IMNSHO, singularly daft to complain about seeing something
for "maybe the 4th time this year" while hurling *yet another* full
copy at your own readers.

For context, Craig's introductory paragraph would have done fine;
including just the first example (a short one) would also have been
acceptable.
Old November 16th 04, 10:12 PM
Morgans

"ShawnD2112" wrote

Can I change that
default

Nope

or do I just page down and delete bits as appropriate?

Yep

I guess I actually prefer top posting, especially when I'm reading a

thread,
as I've already read the original post and just want to read someone's
reply, not page down through dozens of lines to see it.

Cheers,
Shawn

Get rid of all but you want to have the next reader to see, to refresh his
memory, and what you are replying to.

See how I did it? Clear to everyone. And shortened.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old November 16th 04, 10:58 PM
Bob Ward

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:34:39 GMT, "ShawnD2112"
wrote:

Right. Got all that, guys, thanks. I guess I've always just posted the way
Outlook Express defaults, which seems to be top posting. Can I change that
default or do I just page down and delete bits as appropriate?

I guess I actually prefer top posting, especially when I'm reading a thread,
as I've already read the original post and just want to read someone's
reply, not page down through dozens of lines to see it.

Cheers,
Shawn
"Joachim Feise" wrote in message
ShawnD2112 wrote on 11/15/2004 22:47:

I've never understood why top posting is seen as such an evil thing.
What am I missing?

A: No.

Or, in other words, top-posting reverses the normal flow of reading.

-Joe

I wish wee could say you'll be missed, but that remains to be seen.

Old November 17th 04, 03:49 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Morgans wrote:
"ShawnD2112" wrote

Can I change that default?

Nope

Yes...
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/download...oteFix1192.exe

Crossposts to: rec.radio.scanner & misc.consumers removed, as I don't
post there...
Old November 17th 04, 03:59 AM

Not if you're used to reading correspondence files where the
latest communication is at the top odf the stack. If you're keeping up
with the conversation, you shouldn't have to scroll to the bottom to
see the idiot one-liners tacked onto the untrimmed former posting.

If you haven't been keeping up, you should be the one
inconvenienced.

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:58:55 -0800, Joachim Feise
wrote:

ShawnD2112 wrote on 11/15/2004 22:47:

I've never
understood why top posting is seen as such an evil thing. What am I
missing?

A: No.

Old November 17th 04, 06:58 AM
Morgans

Caution: This is a download from a source I am not familiar with.

Caution:
This is a download, for a site I am not familiar with. Download at you own
risk; I know what I will do.

OK, let me say that there is not a built in fix for top posting defaults in
OE
--
Jim in NC

"Darrel Toepfer" wrote in message
. ..

Old November 17th 04, 07:08 AM
Morgans

wrote

Not if you're used to reading correspondence files where the
latest communication is at the top odf the stack.

I am not.

If you're keeping up
with the conversation,

Has nothing to do with it. It has to do with puting the remark with the
relavent material.

you shouldn't have to scroll to the bottom to
see the idiot one-liners tacked onto the untrimmed former posting.

By all means, for one liners, top post, but can you see my response as a top
post? It would look like this:
I am not. Has nothing to do with it. It has to do with puting the remark

wrote:

ShawnD2112 wrote on 11/15/2004 22:47:

I've never
understood why top posting is seen as such an evil thing. What am I
missing?

A: No.

Old November 17th 04, 07:35 AM
M.S.

Can't speak for anybody else, but I top post so that those that have already
read the previous messages can easily see my response, it's right there at
the top. For those that need to be brought up to speed, (generally a
minority), they can scroll down to read the previous messages, which are
included intact (usually) so they can see everything in each message in it's
proper context.

What amazes me is how bent out of shape some people get over top-posting.
It's a matter of preference, what you like vs. what I like. Just like the
people who can't/won't use proper, grammatically correct English (I'm
speaking of those with English as their native language here), including
proper capitalization and punctuation. It annoys me to read these posts,
but I'm not going to make a big flaming war out of it. I don't insist on
perfection from others, as I'm not perfect myself. Nor do I expect others
to conform to my personal standards.

It just isn't that big a deal.

"James Robinson" wrote in message
ShawnD2112 wrote:

I've never understood why top posting is seen as such an evil thing.
What am I missing?

Two reasons:

One, as a thread progresses, a mix of top and bottom posting becomes
confusing when someone wants to look back through the quoted material.
Since most posters to newsgroups bottom post, that is the de facto
standard method. Email users typically top post, so that becomes the
standard for email.

Two, top posters often quote the entire text below their reply without
editing it. That makes the replies longer than they need to be. You
often see a one line "me too" post, followed by several hundred lines of
quote. Bottom posters seem to be more into the habit of quoting only
what is necessary to retain continuity, so it keeps the length of the
posts under control.