AOPA Twin Comanche

Old December 7th 04, 03:39 AM
Journeyman

In article pf4td.137352$SW3.120237@fed1read01, Jay Beckman wrote:

Your mission will change over time.

Fair enough, but the OP said if I won the AOPA Twin today...

Thread drift. We were talking about a G1000 in a Skyhawk. The
172's a reliable and proven airframe, but the G1000 just seems
like overkill. Not that I'd refuse to fly it, of course.

Today, my mission criteria still stand. Over time is a relative
term...we'll see where it leads!

Of course. It's the journey, not the destination.

Morris
Old December 7th 04, 04:08 AM
C Kingsbury

"Newps" wrote in message

They did an article on this. No one has ever kept the plane they won
from AOPA. If I win any plane they gave away it would immediately go in
the hangar and up for sale.

All of which raises a damn good question about why they spend $200,000/year
of OUR dues on this exercise. That's enough to put another lobbyist on staff
to help hold the TSA at bay. If they have to do a big giveaway they ought to
give away flight school scholarships to poor kids. I say take the money and
every year pick 30 kids who show some promise and send them to Embry-Riddle
for a month. Every one of them would be a great story on the local news,
that's a lot of good will you'd buy.

Old December 7th 04, 04:10 AM
Mike Rapoport

"C Kingsbury" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Newps" wrote in message

They did an article on this. No one has ever kept the plane they won
from AOPA. If I win any plane they gave away it would immediately go in
the hangar and up for sale.

All of which raises a damn good question about why they spend
$200,000/year
of OUR dues on this exercise. That's enough to put another lobbyist on
staff
to help hold the TSA at bay. If they have to do a big giveaway they ought
give away flight school scholarships to poor kids. I say take the money
and
every year pick 30 kids who show some promise and send them to
Embry-Riddle
for a month. Every one of them would be a great story on the local news,
that's a lot of good will you'd buy.

I think that all the stuff is donated by the vendors.

Mike
MU-2

Old December 7th 04, 04:51 AM
zatatime

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 03:08:14 GMT, "C Kingsbury"
wrote:

I say take the money and
every year pick 30 kids who show some promise and send them to Embry-Riddle
for a month. Every one of them would be a great story on the local news,
that's a lot of good will you'd buy.

I like the idea except for the Riddle part. Send them to local flight
schools around the country and follow their progress for a year.

Old December 7th 04, 02:08 PM
john smith

Au Contre mon ami! The Skyhawk is the perfect trainer platform for the
G-1000. It's simple to operate, lots of people know how to fly them, you
can fly an approach at max cruise power to simulate a high performance
aircraft.

Old December 7th 04, 05:34 PM
G.R. Patterson III

C Kingsbury wrote:

All of which raises a damn good question about why they spend $200,000/year
of OUR dues on this exercise.

They don't. Nearly all of the stuff is donated in exchange for the publicity.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old December 7th 04, 11:30 PM
Chris Schmelzer

In article . net,
"C Kingsbury" wrote:

All of which raises a damn good question about why they spend $200,000/year
of OUR dues on this exercise. That's enough to put another lobbyist on staff
to help hold the TSA at bay. If they have to do a big giveaway they ought to
give away flight school scholarships to poor kids. I say take the money and
every year pick 30 kids who show some promise and send them to Embry-Riddle
for a month. Every one of them would be a great story on the local news,
that's a lot of good will you'd buy.

Well, they clearly think it is enough of a promotional item that it
makes them more money and gains more money than it costs....

Maybe it does, I don't have access to that kind of data..

--
Chris Schmelzer, MD
Capt, 110th Fighter Michigan ANG
Old December 8th 04, 02:50 AM
Bob Fry

"Mike Rapoport" writes:

I think that all the stuff is donated by the vendors.

What stuff, and what vendors?
Old December 8th 04, 03:20 AM
Mike Rapoport

"Bob Fry" wrote in message
"Mike Rapoport" writes:

I think that all the stuff is donated by the vendors.

What stuff, and what vendors?

All the stuff expounded upon by Pilot articles every month and the vendors
that are listed as having "contibuted" to the airplane.

Mike
MU-2

Old December 8th 04, 08:23 PM
Gig Giacona

"Bob Fry" wrote in message
"Mike Rapoport" writes:

I think that all the stuff is donated by the vendors.

What stuff, and what vendors?

The current issue of AOPAPilot has a whole page of those who donated or sold
items at a discount.