PK of Igla vs. airliner?

Old August 17th 03, 06:42 PM
Tarver Engineering

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
"Tarver Engineering" wrote...

If the target is an airplane, it would be more a matter of skill than

luck.

Even with a lot of skill, you aren't going to hit a flying 747 engine

with a
50 cal, except by luck.

Here we go again... Tarver realizes his previous statements are pure BS,

but
instead of retracting them or admitting his error, he simply changes the

topic
and/or parameters in mid stream...

No John Weiss, it is you that changed the subject, one having to do with the
striking the engine compressor with a sholder fired 50 cal. I do wish you
would work on your reading and comprehenbsion, Weiss.

Initially, the target was an airplane, the weapon was a high-power rifle,

and
the range was a few hundred yards. Now, according to Tarver, we're

reduced to a
747 engine, a "50 cal," and 1000 yards...

Nope, the discussion is tied to a URL for a specific exploding ammunition in
50 calibre. The fact that you can't read is not a reason for you to become
insulting, Weiss.

Still, I contend that a skilled marksman or sniper, after a reasonable

amount of
specific training and practice, could consistently hit an engine on a 747

flying
at 120 knots, on a stable path perpendicular to the bullet path, from a

range of
1,000'.

LOL

First you can't read and then you have a brain fart.

At 120 knots, an object is moving about 200 feet per second. At a

range of "a
few hundred yards" (1,000', for a round number),

1000 yards is about the effective range of the weapon, on a stationary
target.

So, the stated range is well inside the effective range -- not a problem!

Big problem, as the flying airplane is well outside the parameters of
"stationary".

the time of flight for a round
from any modern, high-power rifle would be much less than a second.

With the target moving at 200 feet a second there is little chance of
hitting an engine.

When the target is at a nominal range of 1000 feet, the crossing angle

rate is
just over 11 degrees per second, well within the capability of a marksman

follow a target in stable flight and hold aim on a target several feet

high and
several feet wide.

Lead becomes the problem and I think you know I lowballed the airspeed.

What is the crossing rate of the clay pigeons on a trap or skeet range,

just for
comparison purposes?

Our skeet expert is Art, so you'll have to ask him.

You don't gat a couple of bracketing shots, by then the target is gone.
What are you dreaming of Weiss, a 50 cal mounted on a Humvee?

For an engineer, you sure demonstrate a significant lack of capability for
simple analysis!

I have a real problem with the idea of bracketing shots from a sholder fired
50 caliber at a target traveling at 3 miles a minute. Perhaps you could
head for a shooting range and acquire some knowledge, Weiss.

The weapon could be "a 50 cal mounted on a Humvee," an M-60 on a bipod, or

shoulder-mounted rifle of almost any description.

No, the thread is specificly about a sholder fired 50 calibre, of which a
single shot and a semi automatic are available to the public, using specific
ammunition and striking the compressor face.

Of course, if we change the subject to some completely different set of
parameters, Weiss might be correct. A tripod mounted 50 calibre machine gun
could do the job.

Assume a conservative field of fire -- 30 degrees either side of a line
perpendicular to the flight path. At a perpendicular range of 1000' the

length
of the flight path within the field of fire is 1154', placing any point on

the
airplane within the field of fire for 5.77 seconds. That gives the

marksman
more than sufficient time to accurately place shots.

That should get you all of one shot with a sholder fired 50 calibre, no
bracketing shots there, Weiss.

A sniper can consistently place shots within a minute of arc. With a

nominal 2'
cross-section, an aircraft engine subtends almost 7 minutes of arc at

1000'.
The probability of a skilled marksman hitting a 747 engine with multiple

shots
from a 10-round clip under the stated conditions is very high. If the

target is
the airplane instead of just the engine, the probability of multiple hits
approaches 1.

I think Weiss has us back to a Humvee mounted machine gun.

Of course, Weiss has a habbit of changing the subject such that what he
wrote previously isn't as luney as when it was penned. Educational though.

Old August 17th 03, 06:49 PM
Tarver Engineering

"B2431" wrote in message
"B2431" wrote in message
Hitting a target moving at 120 kts with a bullet would be pure luck.

Tarver has obviously never heard of an airplane being brought down by

small
arms. Should we tell him?

Sure Dan, list all the airliners you know of that were brought down by

small
arms fire.

Did I say "airliner?"

Read the title of the thread, Dan.

Old August 17th 03, 09:39 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Arie Kazachin" wrote in message

Snip

Or LOTS of practice. There was a Russian sniper in WWII whose name
eludes me at this moment (and it's too late to phone a friend of mine,
shooting instructior who told me the name) who downed a German plane with

rifle by hitting the canopy and killing the pilot. Of corse, such people

are
very rare but with hundreds of millions of muslims avaliable you might
find and train few good snipers. Let's hope that after 9/11/2001 FBI

monitors
not only people participating in flight lessons but also people training
in sharp-shooting...

So far the terrorists have been upper middle class goofs, so I can't see
them doing this kind of blue collar labor.

Either way, your story is interesting and educational.

Old August 17th 03, 09:47 PM
John R Weiss

"Tarver Engineering" wrote...

No John Weiss, it is you that changed the subject, one having to do with the
striking the engine compressor with a sholder fired 50 cal. I do wish you
would work on your reading and comprehenbsion, Weiss.

Hmmm... Let's look up the thread...

Old August 17th 03, 11:27 PM
Arie Kazachin

In message - "Tarver Engineering"
writes:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .

snip
Gators was an attempt at humor,but even normally brave people shy away at
the thought of being a gator's dinner.

I was out in Florida retrofitting some old 727s in '92 and I found fried
gator tail to be delicious.

But the chance of hitting something critical still is very small,and the
frontal area of an airplane is still pretty small and a moving target.
Still not an easy task.

Hitting a target moving at 120 kts with a bullet would be pure luck.

Or LOTS of practice. There was a Russian sniper in WWII whose name
eludes me at this moment (and it's too late to phone a friend of mine,
shooting instructior who told me the name) who downed a German plane with a
rifle by hitting the canopy and killing the pilot. Of corse, such people are
very rare but with hundreds of millions of muslims avaliable you might
find and train few good snipers. Let's hope that after 9/11/2001 FBI monitors
not only people participating in flight lessons but also people training
in sharp-shooting...

************************************************** ****************************
* Arie Kazachin, Israel, e-mail: *
************************************************** ****************************
NOTE: before replying, leave only letters in my domain-name. Sorry, SPAM trap.
___
.__/ |
| O /
_/ /
| | I HAVE NOWHERE ELSE TO GO !!!
| |
| | |
| | /O\
| _ \_______[|(.)|]_______/
| * / \ o ++ O ++ o
| | |
| |
\ \_)
\ |
\ |
\ |
\ |
\ |
\ |
\ |
\_|

Old August 18th 03, 12:10 AM
B2431

ISTR reading about a hijack
situation where the boss bad guy was visible in the cockpit (aircraft on
the ground) so it was decided to snipe him, but the bullet didn't
penetrate the cockpit window

That wouldn't surprise me at all. Windscreens for airliners have been tested
for years by launching frozen chickens at them from cannon. I wonder if they
still do that.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired
Old August 18th 03, 12:16 AM
Tex Houston

"B2431" wrote in message
ISTR reading about a hijack
situation where the boss bad guy was visible in the cockpit (aircraft on
the ground) so it was decided to snipe him, but the bullet didn't
penetrate the cockpit window

That wouldn't surprise me at all. Windscreens for airliners have been

tested
for years by launching frozen chickens at them from cannon. I wonder if

they
still do that.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

The frozen part was inadvertent, thawed birds more closely resembled the
actual live items.

Tex

Old August 18th 03, 08:06 AM
Keith Willshaw

"B2431" wrote in message
ISTR reading about a hijack
situation where the boss bad guy was visible in the cockpit (aircraft on
the ground) so it was decided to snipe him, but the bullet didn't
penetrate the cockpit window

That wouldn't surprise me at all. Windscreens for airliners have been

tested
for years by launching frozen chickens at them from cannon. I wonder if

they
still do that.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

Actually when they launched a frozen chicken that was in error.
The birds are suppsoed to be thawed first, frozen chickens
have absolutely no problem penetrating screens, they are
in effect large balls of ice after all.

Keith