10.000 Miles In A 2-Cylinder Motorglider in 1930.

Old May 1st 08, 12:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default 10.000 Miles In A 2-Cylinder Motorglider in 1930.

I ran across another interesting old photo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1930-Tom-Thumb-P...QQcmdZViewItem
1930 Tom Thumb Plane/Glider Vintage Aviation Photo

Joseph Jones and Edwin Wingerton take off for South America in
their micro "pleasure plane".

Date: Nov 28, 1930

Bound for South American in a Tom Thumb airplane
Caldwell, N. J.... Joseph Jones and Edwin Wingerton taking off for
South America in their tiny plane-glider. Ten thousand miles of
land must unfold before them before they reach their destination.
It is a brave attempt considering the size of the plane. If the
flight is successful, it will establish a record for "pleasure
planes."

Does anyone have any additional information about this record attempt
or the aviators?
Old May 1st 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

I ran across another interesting old photo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1930-Tom-Thumb-P...tage-Aviation-

Photo_
W0QQitemZ220229201514QQihZ012QQcategoryZ14279QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQ

Date: Nov 28, 1930

Bound for South American in a Tom Thumb airplane
Caldwell, N. J.... Joseph Jones and Edwin Wingerton taking off for
South America in their tiny plane-glider. Ten thousand miles of
land must unfold before them before they reach their destination.
It is a brave attempt considering the size of the plane. If the
flight is successful, it will establish a record for "pleasure
planes."

Does anyone have any additional information about this record attempt
or the aviators?

That's an Aeronca C-2 with an E107 engine on the nose. 26 HP. A good
airplane in it's day, it's not a motorglider, though. It's also a single
seater and there's no way it would fly unless those guys weigh less than
about 90 lbs each. That is a very very early one as well. Bugy type
landing gear. I'm not sure if there are any that early surviving. I've
flown the much higher powered C-3 ( 33 HP!) and it went OK with one up
not so good with two, though it did go up. Unlikely those guys made the
trip unless they had some decent ground support. and some very good
intel. That thing cruises at about 50 on a good day, BTW.

Bertie

Bertie

Old May 1st 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

That's an Aeronca C-2 with an E107 engine on the nose. 26 HP. A good
airplane in it's day, it's not a motorglider, though. It's also a single
seater and there's no way it would fly unless those guys weigh less than
about 90 lbs each.

Agreed. I had an opportunity to take a short flight in a C-2 (a.k.a.
Flying Bathtub) about 20 yrs. ago (my first tailwheel flight). The one I
flew looks like the one in the pic except for the landing gear wheels looked
more like bicycle wheels.

I think the pic and the story must be a 1930s hoax (or some poor pilot's
wishful thinking). I can't see any way that two guys could fly a C-2 to
South America.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old May 1st 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote in

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

That's an Aeronca C-2 with an E107 engine on the nose. 26 HP. A good
airplane in it's day, it's not a motorglider, though. It's also a
single seater and there's no way it would fly unless those guys weigh
less than about 90 lbs each.

Agreed. I had an opportunity to take a short flight in a C-2
(a.k.a.
Flying Bathtub) about 20 yrs. ago (my first tailwheel flight). The
one I flew looks like the one in the pic except for the landing gear
wheels looked more like bicycle wheels.

Yeah, that's a real early one with what were known as "buggy" wheels.
Most of them had balloon tires though. The bike wheels must be something
it picked up in a restoration.

I think the pic and the story must be a 1930s hoax (or some poor
pilot's
wishful thinking). I can't see any way that two guys could fly a C-2
to South America.

I can't see two guys getting airborne in one, never mnd getting
anywhere! They set a lot of records in their day, though. IIRC someone
got one up to 20,000' plus (probably over Pike's Peak. Your airplane was
unsalable unless you flew it over Pike's peak) and I think one set an
unrefueled endurance record or something. I have a large library of 20s
and 30s aviation mags and books and these two spunky guys in a flivver
stories are commonplace. Aviation was a huge adventure and the world
stopped and held it's breath for record flights. Big temptation for a
couple of kids to try it on a shoestring. I'd be willing to bet they
tried it, one of them following behind in a beat up Model T and it all
ending in tears when the Airknocker went into a tree somewhere. Then,of
course, the phone call home to Ma to get money wired to some ********
town in texas where the wreck lay..

Bertie
Old May 1st 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.. .
Larry Dighera wrote in
:

Date: Nov 28, 1930

[...]

Aren't you and MX glad you have google? Almost sounds like you know what
you're talking about Squirty.

Date: Nov 28, 1930

[...]

I do know what I'm talking about. And anyone else who knows what they
are talking about knows it.

Bertie

Old May 1st 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

Ya gotta link? When you google up this ****, save the link.

Date: Nov 28, 1930

[...]

Sure we do Gurtie. Cuz Gertie knows everything, and Gertie knows everyone,
and Gertie has done everything.

Old May 1st 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in news:K4qSj.59205$QC.32069
@newsfe20.lga:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

[...]

Nope. Just looked in my head..
Some peopel actualyl know thinkgs you know. Foreign concept for you, I
realise, but it's true.

Bertie

Date: Nov 28, 1930

[...]

Not everythign, but more than you. Of course, I saw a slug out in the
garden today that's done more flying than you.

Bertie