Wright Flyer won't fly!

Old October 14th 03, 06:51 PM
Trent Moorehead

Default Wright Flyer won't fly!

"Trent Moorehead" wrote in message

"mike regish" wrote in message
news:e%Vib.558417$Oz4.511309@rwcrnsc54...
Where'd you hear this? I'd like to learn more.

mike regish

I heard it on a local radio station, WPTF out of Raleigh NC. I just heard

it
again. This time they said they are packing up and heading home after they
couldn't get it to fly. I'll try to find something on the web....

Here it is:

quote

Wright flyer replica doesn't get off the ground

The Associated Press

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) - A group that built a replica of the Wright brothers'
first airplane is headed home after it was unable to get the plane off the
ground in North Carolina, a spokeswoman said.
The Wright Brothers Aeroplane Co. tried for five days to launch the replica
Wright Flyer, said spokeswoman Marion Schniegenberg. But they were
unsuccessful and were packing up their equipment on Monday.
"Bottom line is, after five days, we did not achieve a successful, sustained
flight," Schniegenberg said.

The group built the flyer in Dayton and trucked it last week to Currituck
County Airport, about 40 miles from Kitty Hawk, where Orville and Wilbur
Wright made the first powered flights in 1903. They invented the airplane in
their hometown of Dayton.

The aeroplane company's director Nick Engler said last week that the flyer
was making short hops of about 10 feet off the ground but that there wasn't
enough wind to keep it airborne.

The Wright brothers made four flights against winds of about 25 mph.

---

On the Net:

Wright Brothers Aeroplane Co.: www.wright-brothers.org

unquote

It would appear that this isn't the only replica, but being the one from the
Wright Brothers Aeroplane Co., it would seem the most "official".

-Trent

Old October 14th 03, 07:13 PM
Corky Scott

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:24:01 GMT, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

A few things, primarily building on the fact that the flyer's abiltiy to fly
was extremely marginal...

1) What was the density altitude of the first flight, and what was it on
the replica's attempt?
2) How accurate is the replica? Could it be heavier or maybe the engine or
props are not quite as efficient?
3) The Flyer also failed to fly on its first attempt, resulting in some
damage. On the 17th they had it repaired AND they had more wind. It flew
that day. How much wind did they have for the replica's flight?

In this recreation, a few percentage points of performance means everything.
There are probably a hundred minor issues which could result in the replica
not flying.

KB

Not only was the original marginal in it's ability to fly, the
conditions on the day it made the attempt had winds at 27 mph. The
current replica is built so accurately that it likely needs that kind
of wind too. Or more power. But with more power, it isn't really
like the original...

Corky Scott

Old October 14th 03, 10:01 PM
Wayne

The way I heard it, they will only attempt to fly it if the conditions
are just right. Enough wind, but not too much etc... The likelyhood of that
happening on the exact day is a gamble. I won't be suprised if they don't
even make the attempt.

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..

"Trent Moorehead" wrote in message
I just heard that the Ohio group that has built a Wright Flyer replica

and
took it down to Kitty Hawk couldn't get it to fly. I understand this to

be
practice flights for the December 17th celebration.

I'm curious as to why they didn't try it out in Ohio first. Also, is

this
the official Flyer for the celebration? Coming from Ohio, I would think

that
it is. It would be sad if there wasn't a flying (official) replica for

the
celebration, though there is still time for them to work it out.

Harry (Burns) aren't you taking your Flyer down?

-Trent
PP-ASEL

Old October 15th 03, 02:32 AM
EDR

In article , Trent Moorehead
wrote:

I heard it on a local radio station, WPTF out of Raleigh NC. I just heard it
again. This time they said they are packing up and heading home after they
couldn't get it to fly. I'll try to find something on the web....

Oh, that's just more Ohio-bashing by disgruntled North Carolinian's.
They're still upset that Ohio is recognized as the "official"
birthplace of aviation.
Signed, "A Proud Buckeye!"
;-)))))
Old October 15th 03, 11:24 AM
Thomas Borchert

Trent,

Also, is this
the official Flyer for the celebration? Coming from Ohio, I would think that
it is.

No. The official Flyer is from "The Wright Experience" in Warrenton, VA. Also,
note that not every "replica" is a replica.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 15th 03, 11:24 AM
Thomas Borchert

Ron,

They are out of Haymarket, VA.

Warrenton, VA, I think. At least, that's what the sign said when I was
there.

They are practicing by dragging a
modified 02 Glider around behind an SUV with Scott Crossfield yelling
instructions to them out the back.

That'S not all they do.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 15th 03, 11:24 AM
Thomas Borchert

Kyle,

2) How accurate is the replica?

Not very, some think.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 15th 03, 02:32 PM
Wallace Berry

In article ,
EDR wrote:

In article , Trent Moorehead
wrote:

I heard it on a local radio station, WPTF out of Raleigh NC. I just heard it
again. This time they said they are packing up and heading home after they
couldn't get it to fly. I'll try to find something on the web....

Oh, that's just more Ohio-bashing by disgruntled North Carolinian's.
They're still upset that Ohio is recognized as the "official"
birthplace of aviation.
Signed, "A Proud Buckeye!"
;-)))))

I'm originally from North Carolina. I have never understood why my home
state tries to make a claim for being the birthplace of aviation. At
best, N.C. is ambivalent to general aviation.
Old October 15th 03, 04:14 PM
Margy Natalie

The Wright Experience replica is VERY accurate. The only modification
made was the type of glue used in the prop. The fabric was manufactured
to match the original. It's amazing.

Margy

Kyle,

Old October 15th 03, 04:37 PM
Ron Natalie

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message ...
Ron,

They are out of Haymarket, VA.

Warrenton, VA, I think. At least, that's what the sign said when I was
there.

Well, they're out in the unincorporated nothingness between the two.

Even Wright 1905 Flyer Replica Fails to Fly robert arndt Military Aviation 1 December 24th 03 03:23 PM
The Wright Flyer yesterday Michael Horowitz Home Built 2 December 19th 03 06:32 AM
Wright Flyer Dave Hyde Home Built 9 September 29th 03 05:20 PM
Stop the Wright Flyer from flying in Chicago! Ace Pilot Piloting 0 August 21st 03 01:36 PM
Wright Flyer Ignition Dan Thomas Home Built 6 July 22nd 03 03:45 AM