TruTrak Solid-State T&B

Old August 9th 04, 10:17 PM
Jim Hendrix

Default TruTrak Solid-State T&B

I received one of the first TruTrak solid-state (no gyro) T&B indicators
last week and flew with it last Saturday. For a full report, go to
www.oxaero.com.
Jim Hendrix

Old August 10th 04, 12:33 AM
Bill Daniels

For a good glider T&B you need a 30 second standard rate not a two minute.
The TruTrak over indicates but not by that much. They also suggested that
it operates best over 50 knots.
They need to provide a way to re-calibrate it for gliders.

Bill Daniels

Old August 10th 04, 01:41 AM
T-Man

Hi Bill, I could be wrong, but I believe the T&B is more for inadvertant
entry into cloud etc. so a nice and gentle standard rate turn would be
appropriate. Same for the 50 knots...I don't believe that many people
thermal in IMC (at least not in the US) though it has been tempting for me
in the past to continue right on up through a booming 8 knotter :-)
Before anyone screams, I can assure you that I stayed well below the clouds.

Old August 10th 04, 02:27 AM
Bill Daniels

As this is an international news group, there are still a few countries that
allow glider cloud flying. And yes, they thermal inside clouds.

The thing is that the tiniest bank in a slow flying glider produces a turn
rate that pegs a standard two minute rate of turn. A 30-second turn in a
glider is a nice flat bank angle. That's what I would want to escape a
cloud.

BTW, I really, REALLY hate these damn "turn coordinator" things that sense
both roll and turn. I much prefer the old needle and ball. They seem much
more honest.

Bill Daniels

Old August 10th 04, 10:47 AM
Stefan

Bill Daniels wrote:

BTW, I really, REALLY hate these damn "turn coordinator" things that sense
both roll and turn. I much prefer the old needle and ball. They seem much
more honest.

What's still worse, if I understood correctly, that TrueTrak thing *is*
a needle, but with the display of a turn coordinator. Most confusing, I
don't like the idea.

Stefan

Old August 10th 04, 03:11 PM
R Barry

Why even go there, Imc in a glider is not a place to be especally for
the untrained, how many gliders can you fit in the same CU at the same
time. Not a nice way to meet
Old August 10th 04, 03:55 PM
Stefan

R Barry wrote:

Why even go there, Imc in a glider is not a place to be especally for
the untrained,

Absolutely. But for the trained, it's a fun place.

how many gliders can you fit in the same CU at the same
time. Not a nice way to meet

Just adhere to the procedures. The trained know how to.

Stefan

Old August 10th 04, 04:11 PM
Bill Daniels

Pilots without the proper training, equipment and regulatory environment
shouldn't go there. However, there are many pilots on this forum who
possess all that.

Soaring within a one-tenth deck of towering cumulus is a blast. The clouds
make the thermals visible so finding lift on course becomes a near
certainty. IFR capability makes long downwind wave XC possible.

Avgas prices in the USA are already topping $4.50 a gallon and that's
thinning the number of airborne piston aircraft below 18,000 feet. It
wouldn't surprise me that getting a cruise clearance for IFR glider XC with
generous altitude and course deviations for "weather" might become pretty
easy to get.

Fifteen years ago I flew simulated glider instrument XC in powered aircraft.
(Just set the power for a 40:1 glide.) Once the controllers understood what
I needed, they were very helpful.

Bill Daniels

m...

Old August 17th 04, 02:52 PM
Jim Hendrix

To accommodate the needs of soaring pilots, TruTrak is testing a dual
turn-rate feature for their new solid-state T&B. An unused pin on the power
connector will be used to select either a 1 or 2 minute turn rate. The
instrument can be installed either way, or a switch may be used for
in-flight selection. A DPDT switch may be used to power it on at either
rate (1-min / off / 2-min). I will have one of these units in a few weeks.

My first flight with this instrument revealed inadequate power filtering.
At low squelch settings, my transceiver picked up the display stepper motor
doing its thing. TruTrak has already addressed this problem.

www.oxaero.com.
Jim Hendrix

Backup AI (using solid state gyro) for portable Andrew Gideon Products 13 January 27th 05 08:41 AM
Solid State Gyro PaulH Owning 2 March 31st 04 03:41 PM
FA: 10 Watt - Solid State Digital VHF- Transceiver Unicom OH Aviation Marketplace 0 March 30th 04 02:29 PM
Solid State Backup AI Dan Truesdell Instrument Flight Rules 20 January 15th 04 09:53 PM
Solid State Gyro;s on Ipaq Ben Flewett Soaring 1 October 13th 03 05:15 PM