2021 Soaring Safari

Old March 23rd 21, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 2021 Soaring Safari

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 12:17:08 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Well, Bob

Given the range of the Stemme, I could hop on down there along a great
circle route with a single fuel stop at Alexandria, LA. Of course
there's quite a squall line just east of Alexandria right now and a
pretty big stretch of over water flying from around Gulfport to Tampa.

I prefer to fly the Stemme simply as a self launch glider, But look at
those Frenchies who crossed the Iberian peninsula TWICE and many miles
out into the Mediterranean a few days ago. Oh, yeah... In a Stemme!

Dan
5J
On 3/22/21 4:24 PM, wrote:
Dan, we are doing quiet well with the Safari, some very good flights have been made and we are just in the beginning. Carol Ann has been flying well and many others are coming for the event. Just today another possible participant called and asked to be a part of the Safari. Even bigger plans are in place for next year, We are thinking about having two events per year, possibly one around turkey day and another will be the spring safari. The weather down in South Florida is much better than the Central and North Florida areas. We are staying very busy and are having a blast, evenings are especially nice with cold beverages and great conversations. Bob

Dan, don't worry some of the Senior contestants probably did not worry about the Tampa airspace either or else they would have submitted their flights.. Bring that Stemme on down and fly a big triangle in Florida, not that typical task of running down Hwy27 and calling that the Florida Ridge.
Yes, once again today we had several flights and I am getting the crew ready for the best spring weather yet here on the Treasure Coast.
Old March 24th 21, 12:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, March 20, 2021 at 9:00:13 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Pilots have come for far away to participate in the 2021 Soaring Safari sponsored by the TCSC in Vero Beach, Florida. The event is still gong on and just today more glider pilots have arrived.
After each daily conclusion of glider activity the cookout begins with the BBQ grill serving up dishes like gourmet Japanese specialties to special Mexican dinners and today's steamed shrimp and fresh Quac and smoked fish dip. There are plenty of beverages served to compliment each persons desire.
So if you glider pilots are tired of the same old straight out flights come on down to Vero Beach and be part of the activities.

2022 plans are already in the making for the TCSC Soaring Safari, the date has not officially been set although we are discussing hosting the event for a two week period from March11 through the 27th. We are also expanding our camping area and will have room for several visitors. I will keep all of those interested up to date with more information as we go forward. Bob

Old March 24th 21, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On 3/22/21 4:24 PM, wrote:
[...]

Snow is like sex....

Don't know when you'll get it
How much you'll get
How long it will last.....

To me, flying is flying, granted I have not flown much in a few years...
Old March 25th 21, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jason Leonard

Yesterday I towed a motorglider, that dang old engine would not run properly, just think, that old beautiful Pawnee came to the rescue of a motorglider.
Old March 28th 21, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 8:30:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 5:50:26 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
Lucky you! If we get any snow here in SC, I have to really hurry up with shoveling it before it all melts away! ;-)

Uli
'AS'

No snow here, another great day of flying at the Soaring Safari here in Vero Beach. Wonderful guest and flights have been happening here on the Treasure Coast, and the WX is just getting good. next year will be even more exciting, already big plans for a very special event. Hey ZO, you can come on down to the TCSC and go around Lake O, I will be standing on call with the Pawnee for a tow out of any airport. Not like landing out of Grass Roots, we will even give you a free tow out and a cold beer..
A special thanks goes out to all those who were invited to the 2021 Safari, Scott , Dave, Richard, Bill, Carol, Ann Bob W., Rakel, Nelson, and a few more that I always forget to mention, we appreciate your involvement in this first ever event and we are looking forward to your continued participation in 2022.

We have a few more days of fun flying here on the beautiful coastline of Florida, we plan on wrapping things up on Sunday, maybe I can get out of the towplane and fly my glider before this event ends. As to date I have made 91 tows since the start of our Safari, this is a great accomplishment for soaring and our club. Bob

Today marked the final day of the 2021 TCSC Invitational Soaring Safari. This was our inaugural safari and certainly not our last. I would rate this event as a huge success for soaring and our club together. During our safari I logged almost 100 tows, our club also gained membership which will result in new youth within our community of soaring. After another day of activity people are packing up and heading home, we extend a special thanks to all. Bob
Old March 29th 21, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 3:31:18 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

A "safari" implies moving from place to place. Calling an event totally held at one airport is not, IMO, a safari. Motorgliders have a distinct advantage for true safaris.

Tom
Old March 29th 21, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Mocho

A "safari" implies moving from place to place. Calling an event totally held at one airport is not, IMO, a safari.

The Swahili word safari means journey, originally from the Arabic adjective سفر (safar) meaning a journey, travelling, touring or voyaging; the verb for "to travel" in Swahili is kusafiri.
Old March 29th 21, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 7:46:09 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
[...]

2G, your opinion doesn't matter, we expect a donation from you. Bob
Old April 4th 21, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobWa43

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 8:47:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I hesitate to post as the long knives always seem to be out, but as a participant in the event I had a great time, enjoyed myself tremendously, and definitely plan to return if they will have me. Weather and flying conditions were excellent for most of the time I spent there and the hosts could not have been better!