3D Solid State Gyro

Old May 20th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default 3D Solid State Gyro

Can you point me to a tutorial on "3D Solid State gyroscope".

GeorgeC
Old May 20th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

GeorgeC,

Can you point me to a tutorial on "3D Solid State gyroscope".

I think what you really need is a tutorial on Google and Wikipedia.
Everything else will follow from there.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 20th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"GeorgeC" wrote in message
Can you point me to a tutorial on "3D Solid State gyroscope".

GeorgeC

Short FOG info is at:
http://www.nsd.es.northropgrumman.co...view/index.htm

MEMS units:
http://www.omniinstruments.co.uk/gyro/gyro.html

Both are solid state units. FOG units will give lower drift, but are higher
in price than the MEMS units. There are also other basic designs and most
are tradeoffs between cost, environmental specs and performance. Google
will give you many more hits.

John Severyn
@KLVK

Old May 20th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Google for "ring laser gyro" and pick from the returns,
146,000 pages available.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Old May 20th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article v4Mbg.22377$ZW3.15074@dukeread04,
"Jim Macklin" wrote:

Google for "ring laser gyro" and pick from the returns,
146,000 pages available.

Yes, except keep clear that "ring laser gyros" and "fiber optic gyros",
though they both use lasers and optics, and are truly wonderful examples
of modern science and technology, are fundamentally different beasts.

Ring laser gyros are the older technology, with Sperry and Honeywell as
major players in the field at least at one time. I believe they are
heavily used in military and airliner navigation systems, though I'm not
fully up to date on this

Fiber gyros (a k a fiber optic gyros or fiber laser gyros) are the newer
technology, with Litton and Northrup Grumman among the major players,
and are perhaps poised to take over from the ring laser gyro.

Amazing to see what MEMS can do also.
Old May 21st 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

They all depend on frequency phase shift, it is the
principle, not the medium that determines the function.
With the light weight and low cost of a zero friction laser
gyro system, it should be possible to build a triple
redundant inertial navigation system, with GPS updating, for
very little money. It would also provide for flight control
and auto pilot and be economically viable because it could
be used for automotive, marine [including even bass boats]
as well as aviation. When you build millions of units, the
cost becomes affordable. As long as aviation builds systems
by the dozen, the cost will be way too high for general
acceptance.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Old May 21st 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Macklin wrote

Google for "ring laser gyro" and pick from the returns,
146,000 pages available.

How come I get the impression that he wants information about
the small "hold in the palm of your hand" battery powered
units that I saw for sale at Sun n Fun...about $1500.

Bob Moore
Old May 21st 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"AES" wrote in message
Yes, except keep clear that "ring laser gyros" and "fiber optic gyros",
though they both use lasers and optics, and are truly wonderful examples
of modern science and technology, are fundamentally different beasts.

Ring laser gyros are the older technology, with Sperry and Honeywell as
major players in the field at least at one time. I believe they are
heavily used in military and airliner navigation systems, though I'm not
fully up to date on this

Fiber gyros (a k a fiber optic gyros or fiber laser gyros) are the newer
technology, with Litton and Northrup Grumman among the major players,
and are perhaps poised to take over from the ring laser gyro.

Amazing to see what MEMS can do also.

I would think that aviation is getting away from gyros in favor of ADAHRS.

How about these? http://www.xbow.com/Products/product...ls.aspx?sid=30

Old May 21st 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article hhNbg.22391$ZW3.1565@dukeread04,
"Jim Macklin" wrote:

They all depend on frequency phase shift, it is the
principle, not the medium that determines the function.

The ring in a ring laser gyro is an oscillating laser. The laser gain
medium is inside the ring. The ring itself is lasing independently in
the two opposite directions around the ring, so it's essentially two
lasers. The measured output signal is a *frequency* (the "beat
frequency" between these two lasers) and this beat frequency is (error
and "lock-up" effects aside) directly proportional to the rotation rate
of the gyro. The ring is a single loop ring: winding the ring around in
multiple loops would do no good -- would not increase the sensitivity or
scale factor of the device.

The ring in a fiber optical gyro has laser light traveling through it,
sent in from outside, but the ring is not itself a laser, and is not
lasing. The laser gain medium -- indeed the entire laser in the system
-- is outside the ring, and there is only one external laser in the
system which generates the light going in both directions around the
ring. The output signal is a (very small!!) phase shift (NOT a
frequency shift) between the optical phase delay in the two directions
around the ring, which is proportional to the rotation rate of the ring.
The ring is wound with many, many loops, and the sensitivity or scale
factor of the device goes up directly as the number of loops.

So, a lot of similar physics in the two devices, but they're still
distinctly different.
Old May 21st 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

You could have put it a little kinder, but thanks.

On Sat, 20 May 2006 23:26:51 +0200, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

GeorgeC,

Can you point me to a tutorial on "3D Solid State gyroscope".

I think what you really need is a tutorial on Google and Wikipedia.
Everything else will follow from there.

GeorgeC

egyro solid state gyro DavidH Home Built 0 October 31st 05 09:23 PM
Backup AI (using solid state gyro) for portable Andrew Gideon Piloting 14 January 27th 05 08:41 AM
Backup AI (using solid state gyro) for portable Andrew Gideon Products 13 January 27th 05 08:41 AM
Solid State Gyro PaulH Owning 2 March 31st 04 03:41 PM
Solid State Gyro;s on Ipaq Ben Flewett Soaring 1 October 13th 03 05:15 PM