Navy hopes blimp can be eye in the sky

Old September 10th 03, 09:10 PM
Otis Willie

Default Navy hopes blimp can be eye in the sky

Navy hopes blimp can be eye in the sky

(EXCERPT)

Airship equipped with sensor array, by James W. Crawley UNION-TRIBUNE
STAFF WRITER

September 10, 2003

The Navy is experimenting with something more familiar to football
fans than sailors – a blimp.

Not the Goodyear blimp used as an eye-in-the-sky TV camera at football
games and holiday parades, but a smaller version normally used to
advertise products from film to radios.

The Office of Naval Research with the Naval Air Systems Command is
working with a Hawaii-based contractor to develop an airborne camera
system that can help locate anything from terrorists to lost aircraft
or whales.

"Everyone wants real-time, high-resolution data on demand," Stephen
Huett, a Navy program manager, said yesterday.

An airship outfitted with several sensors, including television and
infrared cameras, could provi...

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully reproducing
copyrighted material. In abidance with our laws this report
cannot be provided in its entirety. However, you can read it
in full today, 10 Sep 2003, at the following URL. (COMBINE
the following lines into your web browser.) The
subject/content of this report is not necessarily the
viewpoint of the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...1m10blimp.html

---------------------------
Otis Willie
Associate Librarian
The American War Library
http://www.americanwarlibrary.com
Old September 10th 03, 11:16 PM
Gordon

Its been very active of late - we saw it several times today in fact. I assume
they are basing out of Brown Field, down by the border..? That seems to be the
usual blimp base, when they are in town. The Fuji blimp guys once let me place
my year-old kid onboard, by himself as the blimp drifted over the paddock. He
laughed his butt off!

v/r
Gordon
Old September 11th 03, 06:26 PM
Gordon

The Fuji blimp guys once let me place
my year-old kid onboard, by himself as the blimp drifted over the paddock.

He
laughed his butt off!

v/r
Gordon

When ya gonna tell yer wife about this Gordo?

She has the proper clearance, but not the "need to know"

Old September 11th 03, 09:00 PM
Gordon

She has the proper clearance, but not the "need to know"

We dads all know whereof you speak sir...

Similar to when my recent summer job, which required frequent burst of speed in
newly refurbished Porsches along a stretch of road called Devil's Backbone,
much to the delight of my 2 year old daughter, in the seat beside me '

Old September 11th 03, 10:48 PM
Gordon

As a matter of interest, how much per hour did you pay them for
that job?...

It was a showcar rental house that dabbled in replica 550 Spyders. Pay...?
I'm sure they paid me - not sure if I paid any attention when the envelopes
flew out of the "lil *******s" at high speeds.