Schempp-Hirth 2a/2b cockpit fit vs ASW-20?

Old April 5th 12, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Schempp-Hirth 2a/2b cockpit fit vs ASW-20?

I have a friend with an ASW-20 who is looking at two Schempp-Hirth gliders - one is a 2a and the other is a 2b, and wondering if he will fit. Anyone out there have experience with sizes of these two cockpits relative to his current ASW-20?

TIA

Frank (TA)
Old April 6th 12, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

The 2a is much, much smaller than the asw-20.

The 2b is close size wise but still a bit smaller/less comfortable
than the asw-20.

Old April 6th 12, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:15:47 PM UTC-4, joesimmers wrote:
The 2a is much, much smaller than the asw-20.

The 2b is close size wise but still a bit smaller/less comfortable
than the asw-20.

Thanks Joe!
Old April 6th 12, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Apr 5, 5:15*pm, joesimmers wrote:
The 2a is much, much smaller than the asw-20.

The 2b is close size wise but still a bit smaller/less comfortable
than the asw-20.

5'10 and 180 pounds is about maximum for the "a" cockpits. Fitting
requires personal adjustment. Not all the fancy stuff like seat backs
and side vents.

If the goal is racing the "a" is nice, for everyday flying and resale
the "b" is better.
Old April 6th 12, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

I transitioned from the ASW-20 to the Discus 2b. I'm just under 6' and 200 pounds (14 stone+ to you Brits). Coming from a long line of blacksmiths, I have rather wide shoulders!

The ASW-20 was a tad roomier than the Discus 2b, but I find my new ship very comfortable and quite wide enough. Also the ventilation is definitely a lot better. I have sat in a 2a - briefly! I would not survive long.

It all depends on your body shape.

You'll only miss the flaps when landing.

Mike

Old April 6th 12, 07:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BruceGreeff

Schempp "a" cockpits are made for Klaus/Tilo Holighaus ;-)

Let's just say that if you are over the nominal 1.78m and 75kg it is
going to be tight.

The "b" is designed for bigger - but not huge people.

Anything Schempp with a 2 and a b is going to be the one to go for - an
x is even better...

Bruce

(1.88m and 110kg - apart from the money - you can see why I have a
Kestrel...)

--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771
Old April 6th 12, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Adams

On Thursday, April 5, 2012 5:50:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a friend with an ASW-20 who is looking at two Schempp-Hirth gliders - one is a 2a and the other is a 2b, and wondering if he will fit. Anyone out there have experience with sizes of these two cockpits relative to his current ASW-20?

TIA

Frank (TA)

Frank, does the 20 belong to anyone I know? I have a friend looking for a good 20 on the east half.

Gary - GB
Old April 6th 12, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
YourNameHere

Discus 2A that I own:
I am 220# and 5'11" at present. Shorter legs and and longer upper torso
by normal standards.
I flew a Discus A quite some time ago and didn't like it too snug and I
couldn't reach the panel.
The 2A is somewhat different. Tilt-up panel, so it sits closer to you
and is reachable at least for me. 2A has more hip room and in not snug
in this area for me. Canopy rail dimension is the same as the original
A model. This area is snug for me, but I really don't notice it in the
air. Fit as far as length is not an issue as the rudder peddles will
push out further than I can reach.
Old April 6th 12, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Three Uniform

I fly a V2C. I believe that fuselage is identical to a 2B.
I fly recreational long XC in the Sierras, dressed for flying at
freezing point.
I always wear a parachute.
At 5'10" and 155lbs bare, the seating is comfortable, but still not
overly roomy sideways.
My seating is fairly reclined. Head room is more than adequate. Panel
reach is fine, rudder paddles are 2/3 back.
Long XC (+6 hours) is fine with no back aches, but not much room to
move.
Reaching into the back of side pockets is doable with a little bit of
stress.
Filling the front of the side pockets takes away from the room for
your arms.
I removed the cable for the back adjustment to have more space in the
arm area.
Reaching the storage shelf behind the head rest is close to
impossible. I can barely pull a fleece from the back.

I sat in a friend's Discus A and concluded that is was not for me. Too
tight for my comfortable recreational flying requirements.
Maybe acceptable if you want to sacrifice the comfort for a little
less drag for competitive advantage.
(My friend is about same size and achieved top5 OLC score in this
DiscusA, so it is for sure doable)

3U
Old April 7th 12, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rick Walters[_2_]

On Apr 6, 2:30*pm, Three Uniform wrote:
[...]

The Ventus 2c is completely different from the 2b, as are the Discus
2b, 2C. The 2C's are much longer and more comfortable. The 2C's are
the only sailplane I can fly with a backpack parachute. I am 197 cm,
6'-5"+. There is about 3" more legroom in the 2C models. ASW20 and
V2b, Db cockpits are very similar in size.
Rick Walters

schempp-hirth shk-1 shkdriver Soaring 3 September 5th 08 03:38 AM
FS: Schempp-Hirth Discus A Tim Hanke Soaring 0 February 19th 06 02:16 PM
Schempp-Hirth Mel Dawson Soaring 0 February 15th 06 04:08 PM
4SALE: Schempp-Hirth Ventus B Pat Russette Soaring 0 September 6th 05 03:24 AM
Schempp Hirth or its Representatives... Chris OCallaghan Soaring 11 September 23rd 03 09:28 AM