Moving Map: North-Up vs. Track-Up

Old July 25th 05, 09:51 PM
ShawnD2112

Jeez, John, you must be pretty thick. I wasn't talking out of my ass. I
quoted my reference in my original post. It's a book called "Why Men Don't
Listen and Why Women Can't Read Maps" by Allan and Barbara Pease. You can
find it for sale on Amazon.com but I couldn't find a home page for the
Peases. Pick it up. It's a good read and makes a lot of sense.

Shawn

"JohnH" wrote in message
Peter R. wrote:
ShawnD2112 wrote:

Male preference is for north-up while female
preference is for track-up, generally (all who are going to add how
they are an exception can save the typing - this is a gross
generalization).

Gross generalization or not, where did you get this theory? I
suppose you don't have an Internet reference to educate those of us
equipped with an apparent female preference, eh?

I doubt he can supply a link to his theory source unless his ass has an IP
connection.

Old July 25th 05, 10:39 PM
Ross Richardson

I have the 89/B and I do the same as Doug.

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

Doug wrote:
I went to track up because if I loose vacuum, all I need to do is keep
the line pointed straight up in the GPS screen, and I am not turning.
Also, my unit, a KLN90B favors track up. I don't get an "airplane" icon
in the other track postions (I get a diamond).

But seriously, you can use the track up line as a poor man's localizer
needle. Try it and see.

Old July 25th 05, 11:05 PM
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Kai Glaesner" wrote:

Hello,

ran into a discussion with a pilot-friend-of-mine on sunday about how to set
up our GNS430 on a short IFR Trip.

I prefer a North-Up mode, because it makes it easier for me to corelate
what's on the screen with the paper-charts I have on my kneeboard.

He wanted it to be in either Track-Up or (me complaining about a
too-frequent need for redraw) Desired-Track-Up mode. Reason was he wanted
the screen helping him to build a "mental-picture" about what's ahead and
around.

No consens was found so I would like to hear from you: are your a "North-Up"
or a "Track-Up" sort of pilot (explanation why you are would help)?

USAF Navigators that I know and work with (former B-52, former KC-135, current
E-8C navs) use North-up. They tend to just fly waypoint to waypoint.

The two F-111 WSOs I worked with use Track-up. They spend a lot of time
making sure they don't hit the ground and want to have a better mental
picture of the ground features along the track.

IOW - high flyers use North-up and the low-level guys use Track-up.

(this has been discussed in rec.aviation in the past - but it's been a few
years).

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old July 25th 05, 11:11 PM
Jose

IOW - high flyers use North-up and the low-level guys use Track-up.

Interesting. I like track up, and I also like to fly real low.

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.
Old July 25th 05, 11:19 PM
Jimmy B.

Robert M. Gary wrote:
I teach track up. I would have you rotate your paper charts so they
show track up. I think its much less confusing.

-Robert, CFI

My primary instructor tried that one on me. I pointed out to him that I
like north up because then it is easier to read the text on the chart.
He thought I wouldn't be able to correlate the chart to the outside. I
showed him I could.

I basically told him to let me do it my way or I'd find another instructor.

By the way, to answer the original posters question, I'm a north-up guy.
All the really cool pilots are north-up.

;-)

Old July 25th 05, 11:20 PM
Peter R.

"Jimmy B." wrote:

All the really cool pilots are north-up.

And all the really *hot* pilots are track-up.

--
Peter

Old July 26th 05, 12:43 AM
n93332

"Peter R." wrote in message
"Jimmy B." wrote:

All the really cool pilots are north-up.

And all the really *hot* pilots are track-up.

I use north-up unless I'm flying north, then I use track-up...

-Greg B.
Low wing!

Old July 26th 05, 12:53 AM
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Peter R." wrote:

All the really cool pilots are north-up.

And all the really *hot* pilots are track-up.

sierra hotel pilots is, I believe, the correct phrase.

Old July 26th 05, 01:02 AM
Jose

low and fast? ;-)

As fast as a Dakota will take me.