Need Info On Reamers

Old January 21st 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
DonMorrisey

Default Need Info On Reamers

I'm trying to figure out how and where to buy reamers. I need to
create some 5/8" and 1/2" holes in ultra high molecular weight
polyethylene blocks for my control system. The aileron push tubes
slide thorugh the blocks and the aileron actuators mount in the blocks
as well. The mounting component of my aileron actuator is 5/8", so
when buying the .6250" reamer is that already slightly oversized? I
have been told the holes should be oversized by .002". I have looked
for reamers on line but don't know if what I'm buying is the right
size, there is little or no description for them.

Can someone tell me what I should look for in buying these tools and
where may be the best place to do so?

Thanks. Don

Old January 21st 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

DonMorrisey wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how and where to buy reamers. I need to

Here is about the best source for reamers:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF...0&PMT4TP=*LTIP

You might have to cut and paste to get it to work. Scroll to the bottom
of the page and you will find the adjustable reamers. These guys are
quick on shipping. There have been times that I have ordered things in
the afternoon and had them show up in the morning UPS delivery.

If the blocks are very thick, a .002" oversize hole is pretty tight.
You will have to make doubly sure that everything is in perfect
alignment so that there is no binding of the tube.

Craig C.

Old January 21st 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ed Sullivan

On 20 Jan 2007 18:40:24 -0800, "DonMorrisey"
wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how and where to buy reamers. I need to
create some 5/8" and 1/2" holes in ultra high molecular weight
polyethylene blocks for my control system. The aileron push tubes
slide thorugh the blocks and the aileron actuators mount in the blocks
as well. The mounting component of my aileron actuator is 5/8", so
when buying the .6250" reamer is that already slightly oversized? I
have been told the holes should be oversized by .002". I have looked
for reamers on line but don't know if what I'm buying is the right
size, there is little or no description for them.

Can someone tell me what I should look for in buying these tools and
where may be the best place to do so?

Thanks. Don

You might check McMaster-Carr online catalog
Old January 21st 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Upp

You can reference standard drill size "probable oversize" which would
apply to holes in metals but I work with black polyethylene parts a lot
in my ultra-lights and helicopters and if I used it for your purpose I
would just use a 1/32 or 1/64 oversize drill. From my experience a .6250
drill will leave an undersize hole in polyethylene and a reamer would
just push polyethylene aside unless the edge is ground and relieved
especially for pliable material. Instead of wasting money for reamers I
would just drill test holes and then check for the clearances you need.
My guess is that a 41/64 drill will give you a probable hole of .6407
inches in aluminum and somewhat less in polyethylene, maybe .630 or so.
I suspect the drill speed will effect finish hole size as well and you
could experiment for finish hole size this way too.
Again, in metals and hole sizes of around 1/2" to 3/4" will be roughly
..004 oversize and in plastic probably less. I say drill some test holes
and try them out.

oups.com...

Old January 21st 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how and where to buy reamers. I need to
create some 5/8" and 1/2" holes in ultra high molecular weight
polyethylene blocks for my control system. The aileron push tubes
slide thorugh the blocks and the aileron actuators mount in the blocks
as well. The mounting component of my aileron actuator is 5/8", so
when buying the .6250" reamer is that already slightly oversized? I
have been told the holes should be oversized by .002". I have looked
for reamers on line but don't know if what I'm buying is the right
size, there is little or no description for them.

Can someone tell me what I should look for in buying these tools and
where may be the best place to do so?

Thanks. Don

You might check McMaster-Carr online catalog

In Mcmaster look for "oversize reamers." I make model steam engines
and buy 99% of my reamers from Mcmaster.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old January 21st 07, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I'll second the non-use of reamers here. Just drill 'em, and remember
you have the choice of numbered, lettered and metric drills to get the
size hole you need. Temperature also seems to play a big part in how
much spring back you get drilling holes in this kind of material.
Experiment :-)
==================
Leon McAtee

Old January 21st 07, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Highflyer

"DonMorrisey" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm trying to figure out how and where to buy reamers. I need to
create some 5/8" and 1/2" holes in ultra high molecular weight
polyethylene blocks for my control system. The aileron push tubes
slide thorugh the blocks and the aileron actuators mount in the blocks
as well. The mounting component of my aileron actuator is 5/8", so
when buying the .6250" reamer is that already slightly oversized? I
have been told the holes should be oversized by .002". I have looked
for reamers on line but don't know if what I'm buying is the right
size, there is little or no description for them.

Can someone tell me what I should look for in buying these tools and
where may be the best place to do so?

Thanks. Don

Or, if not MacMaster Carr, Check MHC online. ( Manhattan Supply Company )
They do an unbelieveable job of stocking every thing in their catalog. I
once ordered a six foot long length of 1 1/4 inch ACME threaded rod, with
nuts. It arrived the next day by UPS Ground!

Highflyer
Highflight Aviation Services
Pinckneyville Airport ( PJY )

PS: Note, the Pinckneyville 2007 Flyin is coming up May 18, 19, and 20!
Plan now so you don't miss it. :-)

Old January 21st 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

"DonMorrisey" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm trying to figure out how and where to buy reamers. I need to
create some 5/8" and 1/2" holes in ultra high molecular weight
polyethylene blocks for my control system. The aileron push tubes
slide thorugh the blocks and the aileron actuators mount in the blocks
as well. The mounting component of my aileron actuator is 5/8", so
when buying the .6250" reamer is that already slightly oversized? I
have been told the holes should be oversized by .002". I have looked
for reamers on line but don't know if what I'm buying is the right
size, there is little or no description for them.

Can someone tell me what I should look for in buying these tools and
where may be the best place to do so?

Thanks. Don

You might want to consider adjustable reamers Don.

http://wttool.resultspage.com/search...eamers&x=0&y=0

If the long link won't work, just go to http://www.wttool.com/ and do a
search on adjustable reamers.

Old January 21st 07, 05:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

DonMorrisey wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how and where to buy reamers. I need to
create some 5/8" and 1/2" holes in ultra high molecular weight
polyethylene blocks for my control system. The aileron push tubes
slide thorugh the blocks and the aileron actuators mount in the blocks
as well. The mounting component of my aileron actuator is 5/8", so
when buying the .6250" reamer is that already slightly oversized? I
have been told the holes should be oversized by .002". I have looked
for reamers on line but don't know if what I'm buying is the right
size, there is little or no description for them.

Can someone tell me what I should look for in buying these tools and
where may be the best place to do so?

Thanks. Don

I'd try drilling the holes with the nominal size drills & then touching
them up with some sandpaper on a dowel..
Old January 21st 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
GeorgeB

wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how and where to buy reamers. I need to
create some 5/8" and 1/2" holes in ultra high molecular weight
polyethylene blocks for my control system. The aileron push tubes
slide thorugh the blocks and the aileron actuators mount in the blocks
as well. The mounting component of my aileron actuator is 5/8", so
when buying the .6250" reamer is that already slightly oversized? I
have been told the holes should be oversized by .002". I have looked
for reamers on line but don't know if what I'm buying is the right
size, there is little or no description for them.

Can someone tell me what I should look for in buying these tools and
where may be the best place to do so?

Don, you've already had others say what I'll say, but hole sizes in
UHMW have not, in my experience, matched drill or reamer sizes very
closely as contrasted to metals. It has been my experience, as well,
that taking 0.005 out via reaming UHMW gives a different size hole
than taking 0.030 out. I'm with the camp who suggest adjustable
reamers if you feel the need to ream, otherwise, use a drill and be a
little oversize. Remember that the expansion of materials is
different, binding would not be a good thing.

I'd definitely pre-ream(drill) to a specific size before finish
reaming(drilling). I'd run the tool very slowly and "lube" with only
compressed air.

Wire Strike Info Ol Shy & Bashful Piloting 13 August 18th 06 03:33 AM
Helicopter Physics info online anywhere?? [email protected] Rotorcraft 4 April 24th 04 04:18 PM
Mooney info eddie Owning 13 March 12th 04 06:42 PM
POSA Carb Info and HAPI Engine Info Bill Home Built 0 March 8th 04 08:23 PM
Starting new info site need info from the pros MRQB Piloting 7 January 5th 04 03:20 AM