Like heat shrink tubing but not a tube.

Old March 28th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Like heat shrink tubing but not a tube.

Gene Seibel wrote:
On Mar 28, 8:20 am, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:
I need to do what heat shrink tubing would be perfect for but I
can't use the HST because the end of what I need to cover is too
large. Is there an equivalent that will allow me to wrap the item
and then heat shrink it?

20 years ago I worked at a TV station where we had a heat shrink tape
that we used to repair camera cables and such. It was like a thick
electrical tape that you'd wrap and then heat to shrink. However I
can't seem to find anything on the internet today. ????

I may have found it.

http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.a...=DXE%2D891010#

Old March 28th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

wrote:
I need to do what heat shrink tubing would be perfect for but I
can't use the HST because the end of what I need to cover is too
large. Is there an equivalent that will allow me to wrap the item
and then heat shrink it?
20 years ago I worked at a TV station where we had a heat shrink tape
that we used to repair camera cables and such. It was like a thick
electrical tape that you'd wrap and then heat to shrink. However I
can't seem to find anything on the internet today. ????

Something like that is exactly what I'm looking for.

Here's one that doesn't use heat
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T071/1793.pdf
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

Aha, F-4 tape Check e-bay before you buy from anyone. The stuff
isn't cheap. I gave made some good deals on e-bay. The tape I get from
e-bay is past shelf life but is usually perfectly good. If you are in a
rush try Radio Shaft, it's stocked in most stores. $10 for 3 feet if I
recall correctly.

The other drawback to F-4 tape is it only adheres to itself. Having
said that I use the stuff for many things like between wire bundles and
cannon plug clamps.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old March 28th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

wrote:
I need to do what heat shrink tubing would be perfect for but I
can't use the HST because the end of what I need to cover is too
large. Is there an equivalent that will allow me to wrap the item
and then heat shrink it?

20 years ago I worked at a TV station where we had a heat shrink tape
that we used to repair camera cables and such. It was like a thick
electrical tape that you'd wrap and then heat to shrink. However I
can't seem to find anything on the internet today. ????

I may have found it.

http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.a...=DXE%2D891010#

I think you can get the same stuff at Lowe's, Home Depot and alike. Years
ago when I was working as an electrician, everyone referred to it as
*Bishop*, but I don't know why. I have never used it with heat, but it would
proabably enhance it greatly. It's a thick, rubbery, double stick tape -
that over time and summer heat, simply fuses it self together. I have cut in
to old splices and it appears to be almost solid rubber. It's very workable,
and extremely strechy.

It usually, but not always has the thin PVC film on one side to keep it from
sticking to it's self, but not always. I bought some not more than a couple
of months ago at Home Depot myself. 3M brand I think.

Old March 28th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Maxwell wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message

I may have found it.

http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.a...=DXE%2D891010#

I think you can get the same stuff at Lowe's, Home Depot and alike.
Years ago when I was working as an electrician, everyone referred to
it as *Bishop*, but I don't know why. I have never used it with heat,
but it would proabably enhance it greatly. It's a thick, rubbery,
double stick tape - that over time and summer heat, simply fuses it
self together. I have cut in to old splices and it appears to be
almost solid rubber. It's very workable, and extremely strechy.

It usually, but not always has the thin PVC film on one side to keep
it from sticking to it's self, but not always. I bought some not more
than a couple of months ago at Home Depot myself. 3M brand I think.

I'll try HD this afternoon. What I'm using in for is to cover the "tail" of
the swaged control wires going to the rudder and elevator. I planned to use
heat shrink tubeing but was thinking so much about putting on the Nico
collars that I forgot about it. It was the first time I'd ever done it.

Old March 28th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Ammeter

Ah... now I understand. What I did for that "tail" was to put a second
collar on it so the tail was under the collar.

Old March 28th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

I may do that on the rest but I had a limited number of collars at the time.
My kit came with exactly the number required. I, of course screwed up the
first one.

Old March 29th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message

I'll try HD this afternoon. What I'm using in for is to cover the "tail"
of the swaged control wires going to the rudder and elevator. I planned to
use heat shrink tubeing but was thinking so much about putting on the Nico
collars that I forgot about it. It was the first time I'd ever done it.

In that situation you might want to consider the black Plasti-Dip. You could
brush on two or three coats depending on the desired thickness.

Old March 29th 07, 07:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mar 28, 5:14 pm, "Maxwell" wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in ...

I'll try HD this afternoon. What I'm using in for is to cover the "tail"
of the swaged control wires going to the rudder and elevator. I planned to
use heat shrink tubeing but was thinking so much about putting on the Nico
collars that I forgot about it. It was the first time I'd ever done it.

In that situation you might want to consider the black Plasti-Dip. You could
brush on two or three coats depending on the desired thickness.

That is good stuff. I used it on the control yokes. Takes a little
practice.

Bud

Old March 29th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself

Maxwell wrote:

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message

John Ammeter wrote:

How big is what you have to cover? When I worked at the local
electric utility we had heat shrink tubing that was 4 inches in
diameter before being shrunk. I used some of it to cover wrench
handles...
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

I need to do what heat shrink tubing would be perfect for but I
can't use the HST because the end of what I need to cover is too
large. Is there an equivalent that will allow me to wrap the item
and then heat shrink it?

About the size of a pencil. Will the 4 inch stuff shrink down that much?

I don't think anyone makes a heat shrink that with support that much
variation. Have you considered a product like *Dip-It* (sp). It is made for
coating tool handles, and is sold by a lot of hardware stores. I guess it
depends on what you are doing with it.

Or look around for a heat shrink Tape?

There is such a critter...

Richard
Old March 29th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

I need to do what heat shrink tubing would be perfect for but I
can't use the HST because the end of what I need to cover is too
large. Is there an equivalent that will allow me to wrap the item
and then heat shrink it?

About the size of a pencil. Will the 4 inch stuff shrink down that
much?

I don't think anyone makes a heat shrink that with support that much
variation. Have you considered a product like *Dip-It* (sp). It is
made for coating tool handles, and is sold by a lot of hardware
stores. I guess it depends on what you are doing with it.

Or look around for a heat shrink Tape?

There is such a critter...

That is what I was asking about in the original post. Got a name for it or
who makes it?

Richard