SSA Magazine article

Old February 25th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default SSA Magazine article

OK, this is really going to show my age.

I'm looking for a copy of an article by Bruce Carmichael published, I think,
in a 1960 - 1962 issue of Soaring. The title was something like "Limits to
Sailplane Performance".

I'd like to share it with Al Bowers.

If you have it, or just know exctly which issue, let me know.

Bill Daniels

Old February 26th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Might that be in the Bruce Carmichael compendium that the SHA, er, ESA
publishes? I've got a copy, but it's a long ways away from my office.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old February 26th 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
Might that be in the Bruce Carmichael compendium that the SHA, er, ESA
publishes? I've got a copy, but it's a long ways away from my office.

Thanks, Bob K.

I was unable to find it on the web.

If you are going to be at the ESA West Workshop this year, you can hand a
copy to Al Bowers yourself. If he doesn't already know of it, I'm sure he
would find it a interesting counterpoint to his SSA Convention presentation.

All I'd like to know is the Soaring Magazine issue date that contained the
article.

Bill Daniels

Old February 26th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Bill Daniels wrote:
"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
Might that be in the Bruce Carmichael compendium that the SHA, er, ESA
publishes? I've got a copy, but it's a long ways away from my office.

Thanks, Bob K.

I was unable to find it on the web.

If you are going to be at the ESA West Workshop this year, you can hand a
copy to Al Bowers yourself. If he doesn't already know of it, I'm sure he
would find it a interesting counterpoint to his SSA Convention presentation.

All I'd like to know is the Soaring Magazine issue date that contained the
article.

From John Leibacher's Soaring index site:
http://soaring.xinqu.net/Soaring_Index/

Unofficial Listing of the Soaring Magazine index
Results of search for "Author: carmichael, for years starting in 1955 and through 1965"
whole words only.
The info has all been re-entered by hand, so there are going to be typos. Please send along your corrections and suggestions using the link at the bottom of the page. Thanks!!

Department, Columns, or Sections of the magazine are indicated within parentheses '( )'.
Subject, and sub-subject, are indicated within square brackets '[ ]'.

B.H. Carmichael
B.H. Carmichael: Book Review: Fluid-Dynamic Drag by Dr. Ing. S.F. Hoerner, Jul-Aug, 1958, page 26 [Literature]
B.H. Carmichael: Experimental investigation of a thick laminar airfoil, Nov-Dec, 1958, page 6 [Aerodynamic Design]
B.H. Carmichael: Proposed west coast technical symposium, Jan-Feb, 1959, page 5 [Conferences, Conventions, and Meetings]
B.H. Carmichael: 1959 SSA technical symposium, Oct, 1959, page 4 [Conferences, Conventions, and Meetings]
B.H. Carmichael: Carmichael's Defense, Apr, 1960, page 20 (Letter) [Aerodynamics; People\Gus Raspet]
B.H. Carmichael: Gus Raspet -- Student of Flight, Aug, 1960, page 4 [People\Gus Raspet; Obituaries]
B.H. Carmichael: Possibility for a one foot per second sinking speed, Jan, 1962, page 8 (Feature Article) [Aerodynamics]
B.H. Carmichael, R.A. Schnelker, and I.H. Culver
B.H. Carmichael, R.A. Schnelker, and I.H. Culver: SSA committee report on Symons XBG-12A accident, Mar-Apr, 1959, page 21 [Safety]

8 entries, 2 different headings found

Please contact John Leibacher with any suggestions concerning this material.

Doesn't seem to be there.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old February 26th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

I think it might be the "Possibility for a one foot per second sinking
speed" but with a subtitle.

Bill D

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Bill Daniels wrote:
"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
Might that be in the Bruce Carmichael compendium that the SHA, er, ESA
publishes? I've got a copy, but it's a long ways away from my office.

Thanks, Bob K.

I was unable to find it on the web.

If you are going to be at the ESA West Workshop this year, you can hand a
copy to Al Bowers yourself. If he doesn't already know of it, I'm sure
he would find it a interesting counterpoint to his SSA Convention
presentation.

All I'd like to know is the Soaring Magazine issue date that contained
the article.

From John Leibacher's Soaring index site:

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Old February 28th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Feb 25, 6:46*pm, "Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote:
I think it might be the "Possibility for a one foot per second sinking
speed" but with a subtitle.

Are you sure you're looking for the right author? That sounds more
like a Paul MacCready topic.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old March 4th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_2_]

Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Feb 25, 6:46 pm, "Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote:
I think it might be the "Possibility for a one foot per second sinking
speed" but with a subtitle.

Are you sure you're looking for the right author? That sounds more
like a Paul MacCready topic.

Thanks, Bob K.

Bill,

Just got back from a road trip.

Possibles...both long & skimmed. FWIW, I seem to remember Bruce
Carmichael *referencing* 'a MacReady sink-rate-positing' in an older
"Soaring" magazine, but I couldn't find it either.

Dec. 1961; "Improving Thermal Soaring Flight Techniques" by Dr. Paul B.
MacReady, Jr.

June 1976; "Developments in Ultralight Gliding" by Paul B. MacReady, Jr.

Regards,
Bob W.