US Customs Decals -- buy them in advance

Old August 24th 04, 05:44 AM
Ben Jackson

Default US Customs Decals -- buy them in advance

When I returned to the US from Canada on Sunday the inspector told me
he could no longer accept a form 339 and the $25 fee in person. He
said I should just buy one online. That probably explains why I had so
much trouble finding the PDF form before I left.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old August 24th 04, 11:04 PM
Hatz Lyman C

I have been told the same thing. The sticker cannot be purchased from local
inspectors. Ordering via the web site is the best way to go. Stickers show up
in less than a week after the order is placed.

Lyman
Old August 24th 04, 11:55 PM
Brien K. Meehan

Jay Somerset wrote:

He was just being lazy. You do not have to get the sticker in

advance.

You're just being lazy by offering this blatantly incorrect piece of
misinformation without even thinking about checking it.

Acquiring the user fee decal in advance has been a requirement for
years.

Old August 25th 04, 01:43 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Brien K. Meehan wrote:
You're just being lazy by offering this blatantly incorrect piece of
misinformation without even thinking about checking it.

No *I* was being lazy by trying to buy a sticker from the inspector at
the last moment. ;-)

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old August 25th 04, 03:16 AM

In article , Brien K. Meehan
wrote:

Acquiring the user fee decal in advance has been a requirement for
years.

I'm not so sure about that.

Almost exactly one year ago, upon returning from Canada to the US at
Bellingham, I bought the sticker upon arrival at customs. There was
definitely no expectation that I was supposed to have one before I got
there.

On the other hand, just a few weeks ago I was at a much smaller Airport
of Entry (also here in Washington state). I was just visiting, not
crossing the border, but the customs guy I spoke with told me that at
least at that port of entry, they didn't sell the stickers and you had
to have bought/brought one previously.

It may be different at different places. Next time I'm planning to
cross the Canadian border, I'll call ahead to make sure.

Cheers.

David Herman
N6170T 1965 Cessna 150E
Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying Forum -
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying
Old August 25th 04, 04:27 AM
Robert M. Gary

"Brien K. Meehan" wrote in message ...
Jay Somerset wrote:

He was just being lazy. You do not have to get the sticker in

advance.

You're just being lazy by offering this blatantly incorrect piece of
misinformation without even thinking about checking it.

Acquiring the user fee decal in advance has been a requirement for
years.

That hasn't been the case for at least the last 5 years I've been
crossing Mexico and Canada. You only have to PAY for the decal at the
customs office when you reenter the U.S. The decal shows up several
weeks later by mail. There is no reason to buy it ahead of time.

-Robert

You can now by water-slip inkjet decals by the sheet Charlotte Gaisford Aviation Marketplace 0 November 8th 04 01:59 PM
Flying into Canada O. Sami Saydjari Owning 14 March 17th 04 11:23 PM
Flying into Canada Don Tuite Owning 2 March 16th 04 08:08 AM
new ink jet decals site UK Charlotte Gaisford Home Built 0 December 16th 03 01:26 PM
STEP program helps advance hundreds of hand-picked airmen Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 19th 03 09:15 PM