NJ Abandoned airport? Can you ID?

Old May 14th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default NJ Abandoned airport? Can you ID?

I was stuck in a holding pattern over southern New Jersey while PHL was
nearly shutdown due to weather. During the numerous circuits I noticed
what looks to be an abandoned airport north of Millville. I found it on
Google Earth but didn't see any reference to it on Paul Freeman's
excellent abandoned airport page:
[http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NJ/Airfields_NJ.htm]

Can anyone identify this one? I'm not sure it was an airport but it
sure looks like it had two or maybe even three runways.
Location is near Pittsgrove and Newfield in Southern New Jersey. It is
between Willow Grove Lake and state highway 55.

It's in the middle of this image:
http://tinyurl.com/qcdx7 [google maps]
39.55 N 75.06 W
Old May 14th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In a previous article, John said:
Can anyone identify this one? I'm not sure it was an airport but it
sure looks like it had two or maybe even three runways.
Location is near Pittsgrove and Newfield in Southern New Jersey. It is
between Willow Grove Lake and state highway 55.

It's in the middle of this image:
http://tinyurl.com/qcdx7 [google maps]
39.55 N 75.06 W

According to a user waypoint in Google Earth, it's "Rudy's Airport".

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?
kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.0"
Placemark
nameRudys Airport/name
description![CDATA[a href='http://www.google.com/search?q=Rudys
Airport'Search Google/a
br]]/description
styleUrlflatfile://styleMaps#4001/styleUrl
Point
coordinates-75.06610999999999,39.55555999999999,0/coordinates
/Point
/Placemark
/kml

Googling suggests it might have had an id of 25N when it was open.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
-- Blair P. Houghton
Old May 14th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Paul Tomblin wrote:

In a previous article, John said:

Can anyone identify this one? I'm not sure it was an airport but it
sure looks like it had two or maybe even three runways.
Location is near Pittsgrove and Newfield in Southern New Jersey. It is
between Willow Grove Lake and state highway 55.

It's in the middle of this image:
http://tinyurl.com/qcdx7 [google maps]
39.55 N 75.06 W

According to a user waypoint in Google Earth, it's "Rudy's Airport".

Googling suggests it might have had an id of 25N when it was open.

Yes, that looks like the one. I found a Washington Sectional (1995) in
my collection of old charts and there it is. Apparently it must have
closed fairly recently. That would explain why it isn't on the
abandoned airport web site too. It had a site at AirNav.com but it is
gone now, although still cached by Google.
http://www.airnav.com/airport/25N

One poor pilot decided to land there in July 2005 and found it was
closed the hard way. [NTSB IAD05LA088] [direct link below]

That's too bad it is gone, it looks like it was a neat grass field, with
even an instrument approach and lights. Sold fuel too.

I saw it easily from the air while in a holding airliner. That makes
me think about collision avoidance. During the hold, there were a LOT
of other airliners also holding in close proximity at various fairly low
altitudes (probably between 4000-10000 ft.) Much of the area is within
the 30 nm PHL transponder veil, but some is not. So heads up if you're
flying over south jersey VFR! There might be a LOT of heavy aluminum
zinging around stacked up close nearby and they may not see you in all
of their turns and you may not see them.

link:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?...LA088& akey=1

Old May 14th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"John" wrote in message ...
link:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?...LA088& akey=1

Interesting NTSB report.
Seems that if this guy had been using a current sectional he would have
avoid landing at a closed airport.
I don't know how visible the X's would be on a grass field.
What a coincidence that on rec.aviation.student someone was asking
about using old sectionals.

David

Old May 15th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?...D05LA088& ake
y=1

Two questions unanswered:

1. did his insurance pay for the repairs?

2. what penalty was incurred from the FAA?
Old May 15th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sun, 14 May 2006 20:37:42 +0000, B A R R Y wrote:

Rumor has it that people STILL accidentally land at P&W's East Hartford,
CT site, thinking it's HFD.

A number of years ago, my CFII had me to an approach there to see if I'd
pick the wrong airport. I vaguely recall the approach leaving me pointed
at Rentschler, but none of the IAPs at KHFD appear to do that.
Perhaps I'm thinking of one of the other 'tricks' my CFII tried.

- Andrew

Old May 15th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Andrew Gideon wrote:
On Sun, 14 May 2006 20:37:42 +0000, B A R R Y wrote:

Rumor has it that people STILL accidentally land at P&W's East Hartford,
CT site, thinking it's HFD.

A number of years ago, my CFII had me to an approach there to see if I'd
pick the wrong airport. I vaguely recall the approach leaving me pointed
at Rentschler, but none of the IAPs at KHFD appear to do that.
Perhaps I'm thinking of one of the other 'tricks' my CFII tried.

I like to do have students fly the 12N (Andover, NJ) VOR-A
(http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0604/05026VA.PDF). 3N5 (Newton, NJ) is
about the same size, only about 2 miles away, and the runway is better
lined up with the FAC than Andover's is. I wait until I can see
Newton, then say, "OK, you can look up now". It's amazing how often
they spot the wrong runway and head over to it, ignoring the
indication on the instruments. To be fair, I'm not sure I would do
any better if I wasn't familiar with the area.

The best trick my CFII ever pulled on me was telling me he was going
to vector me to a runway. When he said, "OK, you can look up and land
now", I was looking at what appeared to be a brightly lit runway (it
was night). The only problem is, it was a ski slope, not a runway :-)
Old May 16th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Andrew Gideon wrote:
On Sun, 14 May 2006 20:37:42 +0000, B A R R Y wrote:

Rumor has it that people STILL accidentally land at P&W's East Hartford,
CT site, thinking it's HFD.

A number of years ago, my CFII had me to an approach there to see if I'd
pick the wrong airport. I vaguely recall the approach leaving me pointed
at Rentschler, but none of the IAPs at KHFD appear to do that.
Perhaps I'm thinking of one of the other 'tricks' my CFII tried.

I look at "tricks" like that as *favors*.

A CFI ended a long foggle session right before my PP check ride (the
turn right to 030, climb 1000, descend 500... kind where I don't really
know where we are) with me perfectly lined up on distant runway and
flying straight into a head wind. He then pulled the throttle!

I did the usual A-B-C-C-C's while heading toward the airport I saw when
the foggles came off. He calmly sat there, complimented my execution of
emergency procedures, sat there, sat some more... It became very
apparent that we were gonna' be 1/2-1 mile short. This was in
surburbia, so I had a choice of a rush-hour clogged road, or a steel
mill and railroad yard that's short of the runway. "We aren't gonna'
make it." I said to him in a very quiet tone, adding "It looks like I'm
going for the tracks".

He thottled us up, and then pointed out that my home field was RIGHT
OVER MY LEFT SHOULDER and easily made when he pulled the throttle!!!
Man, was I ****ed!! I spent the 20 minute flight and taxi back to the
parking space totally bitching him out, only stopping to breathe and
call my position in the pattern. I mean, I'm totally ON FIRE!!! During
my speech I went on and on with every detail about how I would KNOW
where _I_ was with my "NRST" button, the GPS map, open charts, VOR's,
etc... If I was the one responsible for where we were going.

Man did he teach me an unforgettable lesson that day!! HE had luleld me
into a false sense of security, when I should have immediately oriented
myself when the foggles came off. I still talk to him on occasion, so I
remind him to do this to every student he gets. G
Old May 16th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On my checkride, the DE pulled the throttle right after some other maneuvers
and told me that I'd just lost the engine. I picked a decent field, turned
toward it, trimmed for best glide and started through the engine restart
procedure. As I completed my turn toward the selected field, I looked down
and saw a grass airfield directly below. I calmly said that the airfield
was probably better than the original farmer's field and set up to land on
it. He gave me the engine back and we went on to the next item in the
flight test. Lesson learned: always look behind and underneath you. You
might be missing a better landing site.

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
t...

Old May 16th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Bob Chilcoat wrote:
Lesson learned: always look behind and underneath you. You
might be missing a better landing site.

From the first engine out, he always emphasized not "marrying" a strip.
As you maneuver down, better sites often appear, wind indicators
become available, etc...

I always did well on those drills, but that one time he chained all
those circumstances together really drove it home!