Soaring through White Sands restricted airspaces

Old June 9th 04, 06:01 PM
tuno

Default Soaring through White Sands restricted airspaces

I don’t have the latest Albuquerque sectional in front of me,
but according to my SeeYou maps, the R-5107D restricted airspace over
White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico goes from the ground to
22,000ft, and R-5107B (adjacent to the west) goes from the ground to
the moon, both continuous (24/7).

Yet the Alamogordo airport (where the White Sands Soaring Association
is based) is well inside the eastern edge of 5107D. Is my SeeYou map
wrong? Is 5107D restricted only from Monday to Friday, or does it not
include the Alamogordo Class D?

What about 5107B? Is it transitable during weekends, either implicitly
or by getting clearance?

Ted W
(Trying to figure out the best way to fly from Hatch or Las Cruces to
Alamagordo)
Old June 9th 04, 06:18 PM
Bill Daniels

"tuno" wrote in message
om...
I don’t have the latest Albuquerque sectional in front of me,
but according to my SeeYou maps, the R-5107D restricted airspace over
White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico goes from the ground to
22,000ft, and R-5107B (adjacent to the west) goes from the ground to
the moon, both continuous (24/7).

Yet the Alamogordo airport (where the White Sands Soaring Association
is based) is well inside the eastern edge of 5107D. Is my SeeYou map
wrong? Is 5107D restricted only from Monday to Friday, or does it not
include the Alamogordo Class D?

What about 5107B? Is it transitable during weekends, either implicitly
or by getting clearance?

Ted W
(Trying to figure out the best way to fly from Hatch or Las Cruces to
Alamagordo)

KALM (White Sands Regional) has appropriate cutouts in the restricted area
for approaches and departures. If this doesn't show on your See You maps,
they are in error.

As for crossing the White Sands Missile Range restricted area 5107B -
forgedabouddit. The extension on the north is sometimes open as is the
McGregor firing range - check with flight service. You can fly around the
north end but the shortest distance from Las Cruces to Alamorgordo is by
trailer on US70.

Once there, though, the soaring is superb. Contact the White Sands Soaring
Association for more details.

BTW, are you based in SW New Mexico?

Bill Daniels

Old June 9th 04, 11:40 PM
tuno

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message news:EDHxc.2200$2i5.1829@attbi_s52...

KALM (White Sands Regional) has appropriate cutouts in the restricted area
for approaches and departures. If this doesn't show on your See You maps,
they are in error.

Okay, I'll check out the Albuquerque sectional when I get my hands on
it this weekend.

As for crossing the White Sands Missile Range restricted area 5107B -
forgedabouddit. The extension on the north is sometimes open as is the
McGregor firing range - check with flight service. You can fly around the
north end but the shortest distance from Las Cruces to Alamorgordo is by
trailer on US70.

Ouch. My ground crew will go that route -- I will not!

Once there, though, the soaring is superb. Contact the White Sands Soaring
Association for more details.

I've sent them an e-mail yesterday but nothing back yet.

BTW, are you based in SW New Mexico?

Nope -- southern Arizona.

Wouldn't my best route be south around the R-5107s, coming from just
north of El Paso? My tentative route from Arizona stays within
shouting distance of I-10 as far as Deming.

I just flew a similar route from El Tiro to El Paso last Saturday
(planned under the pseudonym Bartman to protect the guilty). In
mid-July I want to do a similar flight that finishes at Alamogordo
(or, conditions permitting, Sierra Blanca Regional, northeast of
Ruidoso, where I have family).

-ted
Old June 10th 04, 12:34 AM
Bill Daniels

"tuno" wrote in message
om...
[...]

There is a narrow air corridor along US54 between El Paso and Alamogordo but
landing opportunities are virtually non-existent. If the McGreggor firing
range restricted area is open, you may fly east of US54 however, if you land
there, you are likely to be in a field of unexploded artillery shells so
getting out may require a bomb squad.

During the week, Holloman AFB, near Alamogordo, is very active with a lot of
very exotic and very fast aircraft zooming about at all altitudes within the
missile range and the surrounding Military Operating Areas. (The Luftwaffe
trains there.) The folks at the US Army's White Sands Proving Grounds are
cheerfully firing off "directed energy weapons" and other classified exotic
weaponry. I have flown the El Paso - Alamogordo route in a light aircraft
and frankly, it's uncomfortable. Doing it in a glider would be risky
indeed.

If your destination is Sierra Blanca Regional at Ruidoso, fly around the
north end of the White Sands restricted area. The soaring is great and
there are landing opportunities. At the Soaring Fiesta a couple of weeks
ago I had the chance to ridge soar the west face of Sierra Blanca. From the
peak, Ruidoso is an easy glide. Spend some time with the wonderful folks at
WSSA and get to know the fantastic soaring over the Sacramento mountains.

Bill Daniels

Old June 11th 04, 03:58 PM
Gary Ittner

tuno wrote:

I just flew a similar route from El Tiro to El Paso last Saturday
(planned under the pseudonym Bartman to protect the guilty). In
mid-July I want to do a similar flight that finishes at Alamogordo
(or, conditions permitting, Sierra Blanca Regional, northeast of
Ruidoso, where I have family).

I have no advice to offer about skirting the White Sands, but merely
want to wish Ted the best of luck on his next XC adventure. I will enjoy
reading about it.

For those who have not read Ted's account of his flight last Saturday,
try the link below. Select subject "El Tiro to El Paso" and scroll down
to "Start of thread". It is the most entertaining XC story I've read in
years, and I'll never again be able to polish my batteries without
thinking of 2NO. Jesus Christo tuno toofunnio.

http://www.asa-soaring.org/forum/for...le=ASA+General

Gary Ittner P7
"Have glider, will race"