Vario recommendations, please.

Old June 10th 04, 09:56 AM
Mike Lindsay

Default Vario recommendations, please.

My gliding partner and I have a LX1000 in our DG202.

This instrument needs some attention, and we are wondering if its time
to replace it rather than spending money on something outdated.

We have a separate GPS/logger/nav display system (Garmin 89, EW B,
Compaq 1550), so we aren't looking for all the bells and whistles.

It would be good to have a system which didn't need a flask connection
for the vario function, and which gave us a flight director (Told us to
fly faster or slower)

We are thinking of spending about 700 GBPs, 1200 Euros or 1200 USDs.

Any ideas, anyone?
--
Mike Lindsay
EKA
Old June 10th 04, 09:41 PM
Bill Daniels

"Mike Lindsay" wrote in message

My gliding partner and I have a LX1000 in our DG202.

This instrument needs some attention, and we are wondering if its time
to replace it rather than spending money on something outdated.

We have a separate GPS/logger/nav display system (Garmin 89, EW B,
Compaq 1550), so we aren't looking for all the bells and whistles.

It would be good to have a system which didn't need a flask connection
for the vario function, and which gave us a flight director (Told us to
fly faster or slower)

We are thinking of spending about 700 GBPs, 1200 Euros or 1200 USDs.

Any ideas, anyone?
--
Mike Lindsay
EKA

Borgelt B-50. The best Super Vario there is.

Bill Daniels

Old June 10th 04, 10:58 PM
Mike Lindsay

In article eI3yc.1180$zz.279@attbi_s04, Bill Daniels
writes
It would be good to have a system which didn't need a flask connection
for the vario function, and which gave us a flight director (Told us to
fly faster or slower)

We are thinking of spending about 700 GBPs, 1200 Euros or 1200 USDs.

Any ideas, anyone?
--
Mike Lindsay
EKA

Borgelt B-50. The best Super Vario there is.

Bill Daniels

Thanks. But the B50 doesn't have a flight director function does it? Or
am I wrong?
--
Mike Lindsay
Old June 11th 04, 09:53 AM
Nick Hill

Mike Lindsay wrote:

Thanks. But the B50 doesn't have a flight director function does it? Or
am I wrong?

I think your are confusing it with the B40.

B50:
Analogue vario meter with continuous display of average on LCD readout
in climb mode.

Speed to fly (push pull, director mode) on edge meter, relative neto on
vario meter, average on LCD readout in cruise mode.

Fully combatible and supported by winpilot pro

http://www.borgeltinstruments.com/

Nick Hill
Old June 11th 04, 12:57 PM
Don Johnstone

I currently use an SDI C3 which has all the vario functions
and, if linked to the GPS a final glide computer as
well with continuous readout. I find that it is as
user friendly as any complex vario and has all I need,
and you do not need a PhD in computer science to set
it up and use it. I purchased mine for £500 3 years
ago (SH). The SDI C4 is supposed to be better but a
little more exp[ensive. I have used a Cambridge and
an LX5000. For simplicity and clarity the SDI wins,
the only drawback is the lack of some features.

Old June 11th 04, 09:21 PM
Mike Lindsay

In article , Nick Hill
writes
Mike Lindsay wrote:

Thanks. But the B50 doesn't have a flight director function does it? Or
am I wrong?

I think your are confusing it with the B40.

B50:
Analogue vario meter with continuous display of average on LCD readout
in climb mode.

Speed to fly (push pull, director mode) on edge meter, relative neto on
vario meter, average on LCD readout in cruise mode.

Fully combatible and supported by winpilot pro

http://www.borgeltinstruments.com/

Nick Hill

Thanks very much. Just had a look at the URL, I think we might go for
that!

--
Mike Lindsay
Old June 11th 04, 09:39 PM
goneill

Read it from the web pages themselves http://www.borgeltinstruments.com/
I am buying a B50 for my ASW20L and I have been going through the data on
many vario systems for a year before my glider arrived.
Price is better ,reliability reputed to be much better,it has an upgrade
path either to a
PDA or to a B2000 full flight computer at a better price/performance in
comparison
to other complete sytems .
I dont know the UK price but converting B50 price from our $ to UK pounds
would make it between 400-500 then if you add a B2000 brings it up 1000-1200
pounds,
plus local taxes, from the used adverts in Europe that makes it a VERY good
price for a new system.
I have no connection to Borgelt but from all the info I have gathered it is
the best suited
for me and when asked for my recommendation for a cheap tough basic
audiovario for club use
the B40 was the one I said was the one to go for.
gary