Vandenberg Launch, April 17

Old April 5th 04, 07:44 AM

Default Vandenberg Launch, April 17

Hey guys,

I'm a student pilot (7.1 hours, woohoo!) flying out of Long Beach,
California. I'm also a first year aerospace engineering major with a keen
interest in anything that flies. That being the case, I would love to see
the next launch out of Vandenberg, scheduled for Saturday the 17th. The
drive is almost worth it, but a flight up there would be great. I brought it
up to my instructor this afternoon after my lesson and he agreed to it. It
would be a good introductory cross country and would be a fun trip.

But I've got a few questions here. For one thing, he suggested heading into
Lompoc, which is about the closest airport to Vandenberg. The launch is from
SLC-2 on the north side of the facility, so might Santa Maria be better?
Would the view be better from one or the other based on terrain? For that
matter, viewing the launch from the air would be great. Has anyone done this
and, if so, where's the best vantage point? Is this a popular thing to do,
and is traffic likely to be busy in the area? Finally, it seems that June
gloom hit us a few months early. What can I expect in the way of weather
around Vandenberg for this time of year, generally? It's a 10:00am launch,
so I'm concerned the haze might not have time to burn off between LGB and
VBG.

For those interested, here's a launch listing and the homepage of the
project being launched:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/tracking/index.html
http://einstein.stanford.edu

Thanks for any input!

-Tony
Student Pilot
7.1 Hours

Old April 5th 04, 03:44 PM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 06:44:54 GMT, wrote in
I'm a student pilot (7.1 hours, woohoo!) flying out of Long Beach,
California. I'm also a first year aerospace engineering major with a keen
interest in anything that flies. That being the case, I would love to see
the next launch out of Vandenberg, scheduled for Saturday the 17th. The
drive is almost worth it, but a flight up there would be great. I brought it
up to my instructor this afternoon after my lesson and he agreed to it. It
would be a good introductory cross country and would be a fun trip.

But I've got a few questions here. For one thing, he suggested heading into
Lompoc, which is about the closest airport to Vandenberg. The launch is from
SLC-2 on the north side of the facility, so might Santa Maria be better?

An article titled FLOWER POWER MEETS THE MISSILE MEN authored by
Steven W. Ells appeared on pates 16-C & D of the January 2004 issue of
AOPA Pilot magazine. You might pose your questions to the author:

Would the view be better from one or the other based on terrain? For that
matter, viewing the launch from the air would be great. Has anyone done this
and, if so, where's the best vantage point? Is this a popular thing to do,
and is traffic likely to be busy in the area? Finally, it seems that June
gloom hit us a few months early. What can I expect in the way of weather
around Vandenberg for this time of year, generally? It's a 10:00am launch,
so I'm concerned the haze might not have time to burn off between LGB and
VBG.

You can get pretty good long range weather predictions for the area
he
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/afos/LAX/ZFP/LAXZFPLOX

For those interested, here's a launch listing and the homepage of the
project being launched:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/tracking/index.html
http://einstein.stanford.edu

Thanks for any input!

-Tony
Student Pilot
7.1 Hours

Here's another source of information:

From: "Brian Webb"
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Subject: Vandenberg Missile Launch Newsletter
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 13:05:20 GMT

Astronomy/Space Alert for Southern California (also known as
"Launch Alert") is a free, e-mail based newsletter providing
coverage of missile launches from Vandenberg AFB. Other topics
covered include southern California astronomy and space news.

Many of the events mentioned in the newsletter are visible over a
large portion of the U.S. Southwest. To subscribe, go to:

Old April 5th 04, 08:23 PM
pacplyer

Congrads Tony. I think you're going to miss a lot if you're not on
the ground. Hard to divide attention, but it's your call. Might be
better in the air if it's foggy on the ground. Trap the rocket
between you and the sun. The ionized purple plume when it bust out of
the atmosphere is unforgettable. Have fun.

pacplyer

Old April 7th 04, 08:15 AM

Hey thanks guys. I'll take a look at what you suggested, Larry. I agree with
you, Pac, that flying might divide my attention too much between the flying
and the sight seeing, especially if other people have the same idea I do.
I'll fish around online for some more flying stories of people who have done
it and see what the consensus is.

Thanks again!
-Tony
Student Pilot
7.1 hours

"Larry Dighera" wrote ...

From: "Brian Webb"
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting

Old April 8th 04, 02:31 AM
lance smith

Hi Tony,

I used to go to school in santa barbara and while ucsb was almost
always socked in I never experienced Lompoc being clouded over. Of
course I didn't go up there very often (there's no reason to : ) but
everytime I did it was clear.

Watch out for any TFRs because of the rocket launch- it'd be something
to see it from the air!

-lance smith

Old April 9th 04, 02:21 AM

Darn it!

I had some time to kill this afternoon in my aerospace class, so I went to
check in on the launch status. It's been postponed till Monday the 19th due
to ground equipment being serviced. It looks like weather and such are
irrelevant now, since I won't be able to make it on a weekday. I kind of
expected it, since dates get changed a half dozen times for most launches,
but I still had high hopes. Maybe next launch.......

Thanks again to those who posted

-Tony
Student Pilot
7.1 hours

"lance smith" wrote:
Hi Tony,

I used to go to school in santa barbara and while ucsb was almost
always socked in I never experienced Lompoc being clouded over. Of
course I didn't go up there very often (there's no reason to : ) but
everytime I did it was clear.

Watch out for any TFRs because of the rocket launch- it'd be something
to see it from the air!

-lance smith

wrote in message

. ..
[...]

Vandenberg AFB Rocket Launches Brian Webb Military Aviation 1 September 5th 04 06:13 PM
spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
Vandenberg AFB Missile Launch Newsletter Brian Webb Military Aviation 0 March 1st 04 05:27 AM
Pegasus/TRACE Launch Photos Posted Brian Webb Military Aviation 0 February 21st 04 04:50 PM
Boeing: Space shuttles to last into next decade JohnMcGrew Piloting 17 October 24th 03 09:31 PM