antenna installation in a glider?

Old May 13th 04, 01:49 AM
ken ward

Default antenna installation in a glider?

If you had to (re)install an antenna in a glider, how would you do it?
What material would you use, what length would it be, how would you
terminate the aft end, how do you get the aft end all the way back there
and secured, etc?

Thanks,
Ken

Old May 13th 04, 07:48 PM
ken ward

LAK-12, but really any fiberglass glider.

In article ,
"Tim Mara" wrote:

what kind of glider??????
tim

Old May 13th 04, 11:01 PM
Tim Mara

very rarely will you find the antenna built into the tail of glider to be
faulty, that is unless there is some damage history to the tail.......tail
antenna's are typically a dipole type and DO usually show continuity so
don't assume if you have continuity between the coax center and shield you
have a problem, you can test the antenna with a SWR meter to confirm it's
condition and tuning but you will be left with "what you see is what you
get" unless you feel like doing some major surgery to you fin.. should you
have a bad antenna you can install a fixed 1/4 wave in a fiberglass glider
(not in a carbon fuselage though) with a ground plane even home made from
wire cut to length...I also offer some custom built loaded coil type cable
antenna's that will function without a ground plane (see may page
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page14.htm or if you have a local ham guy
nearby you might also be able to have a custom dipole made that can also be
installed internally...
hope this helps
tim
www.wingsandwheels.com

"ken ward" wrote in message
LAK-12, but really any fiberglass glider.

In article ,
"Tim Mara" wrote:

what kind of glider??????
tim

Old May 18th 04, 03:06 PM
roger druce

If you know someone with back copies of Soaring, there was an article by Les
Sebald in the technical section around 1990 on installing an antenna to his
DG400, as best I recollect. There is also an article by Jim Weir in Sport
Aviation about the same time, no .. much earlier.

Just tried searching my files and happened to strike paper copies.
The references a
Soaring March 1986, Les Sebald "Antennas can be better" page 42-45
Sport Aviation October 1976 Jim Weir "Economy antennas or what to do with
left over brazing rod" pages 71-77

Maybe Jim Weir still operates "Radio Systems Technology" and if they have a
web site you could use Google to find it. Such a website may have Jims info
on it or more updated info??

Cheers
Roger Druce

Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 04:57 PM
Ext antenna connection for handheld radio Ray Andraka Owning 7 March 5th 04 02:10 PM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 General Aviation 7 January 10th 04 12:35 AM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM
Restricting Glider Ops at Public Arpt. rjciii Soaring 36 August 25th 03 04:50 PM