Audio Variometers for Club Rentals

Old May 18th 04, 06:08 PM
Waduino

Default Audio Variometers for Club Rentals

A few of us low time club renters are considering buying audio variometers
to help keep our eyes outside the cockpit and our planes in lift.

One unit we're looking at is from Blue Sky Avionics, the M12 Cricket
http://www.blueskyavionics.com/M12_Cricket_HG.htm

There's also a fancier M19.

Does anyone have experience with these? Do they make sense to use?
Thanks.
Wad.

Old May 18th 04, 11:21 PM
Mike Borgelt

On Tue, 18 May 2004 13:08:14 -0400, "Waduino"
wrote:

A few of us low time club renters are considering buying audio variometers
to help keep our eyes outside the cockpit and our planes in lift.

One unit we're looking at is from Blue Sky Avionics, the M12 Cricket
http://www.blueskyavionics.com/M12_Cricket_HG.htm

There's also a fancier M19.

Does anyone have experience with these? Do they make sense to use?
Thanks.
Wad.

Portable stuff isn't going to have total energy. This will result in
differences beween what you are seeing and hearing. Depending on the
performance of the ship and whether you want the audio mainly for
thermalling this may or may not matter.

Best solution is an installed vario with audio connected to a good TE
probe.

If the owner of the glider is actually trying to make money out of
renting having good basic soaring instruments will make the ships more
attractive to the customers and result in better utilisation and less
frustration. The capital cost is small compared to the cost of the
glider.

Mike Borgelt

Borgelt Instruments
Old May 18th 04, 11:27 PM
Chris OCallaghan

Note that audio varios without TE compensation are almost useless. I
would suggest that you lobby the club to purchase several new or used
audio varios and properaly install them in your club ships. You might
prime the effort with a $135 donation to get the ball rolling. An
appeal to the group for used equipment might also yield good results.

Old May 19th 04, 02:16 AM
Roger

"Waduino" wrote:

A few of us low time club renters are considering buying audio variometers
to help keep our eyes outside the cockpit and our planes in lift.

One unit we're looking at is from Blue Sky Avionics, the M12 Cricket
http://www.blueskyavionics.com/M12_Cricket_HG.htm

There's also a fancier M19.

Does anyone have experience with these? Do they make sense to use?
Thanks.
Wad.

I tired using the cricket M12 and was less than satisfied. It did
provide an very nice tone for "up", but there was not tone for "down".
I did not know how much sink I was in, so I was still stuck looking at
the mechanical vario. I ended up installing a Ball 501 audio vario.
I have since upgraded to a Tasman vario. I would sell the Ball for
$290. They are listed on Bob Wander's Soaring Books and Supplies site
new for $449.
Old May 19th 04, 05:38 AM
David Campbell

One unit we're looking at is from Blue Sky Avionics, the M12 Cricket
http://www.blueskyavionics.com/M12_Cricket_HG.htm
...Does anyone have experience with these? Do they make sense to use?

Good choice. We have made a "Cricket" available to renters of our
2-33s sans electrics, since BSA was Ball Varios here in Boulder, CO.
They enjoy it.
Old May 19th 04, 08:35 AM
Steve / Sperry

I do not belive that a hand held vario will work in the cockpit of an
aircraft. Air pressures from vents etc would drive it crazy.

I would think that you would need to have a "sealed" unit and static
port for it to work correctly.

Steve

Old May 19th 04, 12:56 PM
Matthew Sawhill

I'm going to defend the portable audio vario. I think they can be a great
asset in a club ship. Here's my perspective:

Before I got my own ship, I flew club trainers with uncompensated, sticky,
mechanical varios. A friend loaned me his Cricket one day, and I couldn't
believe how much easier it made things. The cockpit static pressure didn't
seem to cause any unusual interference, and it was able to detect lift long
before the mechanical vario started responding. I was able to scratch
around in marginal conditions for as long as I wanted. I liked the Cricket
so much that I still haven't returned it to my friend.

My first real experience with a TE system came when I got my own glider.
Sure, it's a vastly superior setup, but it required a $500+ investment on my
part, and I have to maintain an electrical system, which can be a pain in a
club trainer.

It's all a matter of perspective, but if you're starting with a dated
mechanical vario and no TE, the Cricket can definitely add to your enjoyment
in a club ship.

MS

Old May 19th 04, 01:20 PM
Waduino

if you're starting with a dated mechanical vario and no TE...

That's the point. We're talking 2-33s, 1-26s, etc. that have see a lot of
service and don't have batteries or TE probes.

I understand there are a lot of drawbacks compared to what one would have on
a private plane. I'm just wondering if portable units are a help or a
nuisance. Perhaps we'll get one or two, maybe different brands and see what
the reaction is.
Wad.

Old May 19th 04, 04:30 PM
Cliff Hilty

I have flown in borrowed 1-26 for the past few years,
once a year, in a contest against one other 1-26. The
glider i borrow does not have a battery system. I use
a borrowed 'Malletec' portable unit that hangs around
my neck. It is only around 1' square and is loud enough
to hear with all of the noise in a 1-26. It uses a
watch battery and seems to last for ever. It is not
compensated obviously, but in a 1-26 it is easy to
realize what your doing and is a very sensitive vario.
It is advertised in Soaring Magazine for only $169.00
US Dollars! Try it youll like it.