Death of a Gliderport, California City

Old January 24th 14, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Death of a Gliderport, California City

On Friday, January 17, 2014 5:54:40 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Today ME Aviation announced that they would cease towing operations at California City on 3 Feb due to inability to sustain a economic business due to Sponsor discriminatory actions against gliders which among other violations of Public Assurances are the subject of a FAA part 13.1 Complaint filed today.

The last towing days are 1 and 2 Feb and we are looking for a maximum turnout of glides for breakfast at 1100 AM and launches beginning at 1 pm on Sat and Sun. Our objective is to get as many sailplanes over the the airport as possible. Try for a 2 hr fly duration and the same on Sunday. Sunday evening we pack out and trailer thru the city. Make your own trailer signage.

Prepare to meet a lot of old friend and form alliances to fight this. Cal City is not the only airport under attack. 29 Palms gliders just got no notice to leave.

John Shmoldas

Cal City has been dead for a long time--over the past few years I've driven by the place on the weekend and the tarmac was completely empty, no gliders, no towing, no GA airplanes. In the early 1990's I was a member of the Douglas Soaring Club. Every weekend there would be over a dozen pilots (and many students) showing up. There was even a waiting list to join!

But for lots of reasons, none of which had to do with the city of California City, members started to leave the club. After 1998 things went downhill even faster. Soaring in Southern California is dead for all practical purposes just like it is all over this country.
Old January 24th 14, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Friday, January 24, 2014 11:06:16 AM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

well aren't you a bucket of sunshine this morning.

soaring might be dead in your world but its alive and well here!
Old January 24th 14, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

Well, I cannot speak for California City, although it appears that ops are now coming to an end, but the idea that soaring is "dead for all practical purposes" in the US is a bit premature.

All you need to do is visit some very active locations (like at Moriarty, NM, TSA at Midlothian, TX and at the two very active clubs near Houston, TX, etc, etc.) and you will see that soaring is still very alive and doing well.

Are there many challenges? Absolutely! Are there real issues in our aging pilot population? Definitely. But is soaring dead in the US? Not even close!

You've heard the quote by Mark Twain:

"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

Keep the faith!
Thx - Renny

Old January 24th 14, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, January 24, 2014 9:31:16 AM UTC-8, Tony wrote:
[...]

"Denial" is not a river in Africa. Yeah, the SSA is thriving. Last time anyone checked, they did still seem to have a working phone and their membership is booming. 25 years ago people were talking about the need for soaring to attract young people into the sport.

Well a generation has passed the baby boomers are now hitting the wall and dying off. And still there still aren't any kids wanting to become glider pilots. Southern California used to be the center of the glider world in this country. Now on any Saturday, you'd be lucky to find a club with any new students.

And 25 years ago, the internet didn't exist. Nor did iPhones, iPads, and the million other digital distractions that young people use today. Cal City died because it couldn't even keep a bunch of babyboomer pilots coming back.

What's the average age of people on this board?
Old January 24th 14, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

We are and will be working on it. http://cadet.ssa.org http://www.letsgogliding.com Come to the SSA Convention in Reno and buy a LGG promo ball cap ($10).
Old January 24th 14, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, January 24, 2014 1:34:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, January 24, 2014 9:31:16 AM UTC-8, Tony wrote: On Friday, January 24, 2014 11:06:16 AM UTC-6, wrote: On Friday, January 17, 2014 5:54:40 PM UTC-8, wrote: Today ME Aviation announced that they would cease towing operations at California City on 3 Feb due to inability to sustain a economic business due to Sponsor discriminatory actions against gliders which among other violations of Public Assurances are the subject of a FAA part 13.1 Complaint filed today. The last towing days are 1 and 2 Feb and we are looking for a maximum turnout of glides for breakfast at 1100 AM and launches beginning at 1 pm on Sat and Sun. Our objective is to get as many sailplanes over the the airport as possible. Try for a 2 hr fly duration and the same on Sunday. Sunday evening we pack out and trailer thru the city. Make your own trailer signage. Prepare to meet a lot of old friend and form alliances to fight this. Cal City is not the only airport under attack. 29 Palms gliders just got no notice to leave. John Shmoldas Cal City has been dead for a long time--over the past few years I've driven by the place on the weekend and the tarmac was completely empty, no gliders, no towing, no GA airplanes. In the early 1990's I was a member of the Douglas Soaring Club. Every weekend there would be over a dozen pilots (and many students) showing up. There was even a waiting list to join! But for lots of reasons, none of which had to do with the city of California City, members started to leave the club. After 1998 things went downhill even faster. Soaring in Southern California is dead for all practical purposes just like it is all over this country. well aren't you a bucket of sunshine this morning. soaring might be dead in your world but its alive and well here! "Denial" is not a river in Africa. Yeah, the SSA is thriving. Last time anyone checked, they did still seem to have a working phone and their membership is booming. 25 years ago people were talking about the need for soaring to attract young people into the sport. Well a generation has passed the baby boomers are now hitting the wall and dying off. And still there still aren't any kids wanting to become glider pilots. Southern California used to be the center of the glider world in this country. Now on any Saturday, you'd be lucky to find a club with any new students. And 25 years ago, the internet didn't exist. Nor did iPhones, iPads, and the million other digital distractions that young people use today. Cal City died because it couldn't even keep a bunch of babyboomer pilots coming back. What's the average age of people on this board?

We're doing pretty well here in SE NY. About 25% of our 100 or so members are juniors including commercial, CFI and tow pilots.
Sounds like California amy not be the center of the universe.
UH
Old January 24th 14, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

We're doing pretty well here in SE NY. About 25% of our 100 or so members are juniors including commercial, CFI and tow pilots. Sounds like California amy not be the center of the universe. UH

Certainly not claiming to be the biggest or busiest club, but hopefully part of an overall trend. Adirondack Soaring in upstate NY has seen it's membership grow from about 35 to 75 members within the last 6-7 years, which includes approxiametely 3-5 active junior members and 4-6 college students/under 25 age group.

Old January 24th 14, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Bick (1DB)

Well a generation has passed the baby boomers are now hitting the wall and dying off. And still there still aren't any kids wanting to become glider pilots. Southern California used to be the center of the glider world in this country. Now on any Saturday, you'd be lucky to find a club with any new students.

And 25 years ago, the internet didn't exist. Nor did iPhones, iPads, and the million other digital distractions that young people use today. Cal City died because it couldn't even keep a bunch of babyboomer pilots coming back.

What's the average age of people on this board?

It is interesting. The SoCal high desert was a mecca "way back when" gliding was in its "mystique" phase. Adelanto, Rosamond, Pearblossom, and several others were all thriving centers of soaring activity. Back "then," the Sierra Wave Project caught the imagination of many in the soaring community. Today, several pilots routinely log 1,000-km wave flights on the Sierras and Andes and other. Back "then," 26:1 L/D seemed pretty good, and 30:1 a dream. Back "then," charts were the way of the waypoint, today, electronics rule the cockpit. Maybe the only thing that hasn't changed a whole lot is that a good glider has always cost about a year's worth of salary (so I heard an old timer say) - back then and now. On the other hand, today, as opposed to "what back when," there are many more used high performance gliders for sale than there were "back then."

However, do note that Krey Field, Crystallaire and Tehachapi still enjoy significant activity in the high desert region. The Antelope Valley and Cypress Soaring clubs fly regularly out of Krey. Cypress has been gaining about 4 -5 new members per year for the past 2 years, most under the age of 35 - 40. However, we have also been having about 4 -5 members go inactive each year, so maintaining status quo of around 30 active pilots. Both clubs have trainers and students on the learning curve.

Maybe some of the mystique is gone for the younger generations - or maybe it's the digital age stuff. Our new members that are students are pretty gung ho on both soaring and digitalitis - making them very Condor conversant. There are those that soar and decide to try Condor, and those who use Condor and decide to try actual soaring. It is a different world.

Over 50 (way over)

Eric Bick -

Old January 24th 14, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Friday, January 24, 2014 1:49:59 PM UTC-8, Eric Bick (1DB) wrote:

Maybe the only thing that hasn't changed a whole lot is that a good glider has always cost about a year's worth of salary (so I heard an old timer say) - back then and now...

I've changed that.

Thanks, Bob K.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/HP-24...t/200931354951

Old January 25th 14, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

We have several students and new glider pilots in Moriarty, both at the ABQ
Soaring Association and at Sundance Aviation. We also see plenty of
add-ons, but I don't expect many of them will continue.

[...]

Want to live on a gliderport? Frank Whiteley Soaring 0 December 18th 13 06:18 AM
Willis Gliderport Mike Schumann Soaring 2 January 15th 08 01:59 PM
Only at a gliderport SAM 303a Soaring 5 August 18th 06 02:53 PM
Closing of a gliderport Jack Harkin Soaring 0 August 17th 05 03:54 AM