What makes a successful aviator?

Old April 20th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Default What makes a successful aviator?

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Nomen Nescio writes:

I can tell you that when I was about 4 months from graduation (BS
Mechanical Engineering), the Navy and Air Force were going BTTW to
recruit me. I was wined and dined, lodged, toured, and even fixed up
with a couple of attractive female officers. They were all going to
train me to drive ANYTHING that I wanted, from F-16's to submarines
(the coolest tour I got was a fast attack sub).

All this time, I thought it was the Engineering degree. I guess
they'd found out that I had spent 3 years slinging newsprint at 6 am.

It was probably neither of those things, since both are very common.

You are an idiot.

Bertie
Old April 20th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Bob Moore wrote:
Some excerpts from an interesting series of posts over on
rec.aviation.military.naval.

"...better shot for a pilot slot by getting his BS in aeronautical
engineering...."

"An engineering degree would have no bearing on selection for flight
training."

"Actually it is true. Degree does not seem to matter. Back in the 80's
when I was working on a masters, I was also a contract simulator
instructor at my old training base (Chase) and did an analysis for my
statistics class of degrees vs completions. What I found was that
there was absolutley no correlation between the type of degree and the
succsess (or failure) of the prospective naval aviator."

"As a career Naval Aviator with experience, albeit dated, in both the
Training Command and OPNAV, I've watched this thread spin out with
some interest. As the Director of Research at the National Defense
University in one of my prior incarnations, I was privy to a study
substantiating your remarks. When launched on a quest to find the
"Prime Indicator of Success" - the Holy Grail of the Nugget Watchers -
the study I am most familiar with came up with the revolutionary but
counterintuitive conclusion that it was not being an Eagle Scout or a
BS in AE or the kind of a baby that quit nursing every time an
airplane flew over but whether or not the candidate - get this - had
a paper route."

I personally delivered the morning paper for four years. :-)

Bob Moore

That doesn't surprise me a bit. Work ethic instilled at a young age. Sounds
about right for most undertakings.

Old April 20th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Morgans wrote:
"Bob Moore" wrote

I personally delivered the morning paper for four years. :-)

Where I grew up, you had to have a car, and be able to drive, to have
a paper route. g

It might be interesting to know if your area produced a lesser than normal
number of successful people.

Are there still places that use kids for paper routes anymore?

Old April 20th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote

It might be interesting to know if your area produced a lesser than

normal
number of successful people.

I think that kids doing other jobs, showing hard work and responsibility,
would be an indicator just as valid as delivering papers.

In my area, (not NC, which is where I live now) many kids had jobs like
mowing yards, working for farmers during busy times, and shoveling snow.

I did all three, by the way. g
--
Jim in NC

Old April 20th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote:

Are there still places that use kids for paper routes anymore?

there is tough competition: what I was distributing was not the
morning paper, but essentially junk mail (''free'' paper loaded
with ads); nowdays, the local postman does it as part of the
normal route (brings a little extra I am told). Killed the
business as far as I was concerned.

--Sylvain
Old April 20th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Sylvain wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote:

Are there still places that use kids for paper routes anymore?

there is tough competition: what I was distributing was not the
morning paper, but essentially junk mail (''free'' paper loaded
with ads); nowdays, the local postman does it as part of the
normal route (brings a little extra I am told). Killed the
business as far as I was concerned.

--Sylvain

The USPS employee is delivering the "Penny Saver" at the same time as his
mail route? This has got to be against dozens of postal service regulations.

Old April 20th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
Sylvain wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote:

Are there still places that use kids for paper routes anymore?

there is tough competition: what I was distributing was not the
morning paper, but essentially junk mail (''free'' paper loaded
with ads); nowdays, the local postman does it as part of the
normal route (brings a little extra I am told). Killed the
business as far as I was concerned.

--Sylvain

The USPS employee is delivering the "Penny Saver" at the same time as his
mail route? This has got to be against dozens of postal service
regulations.

Depends on the agreement between the paper in question and the USPS. Lot's
of deals cut for blanket distribution through the USPS these days.
Advertising mail is by far the biggest part of there deliveries today.

Old April 20th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote:

The USPS employee is delivering the "Penny Saver" at the same time as his
mail route? This has got to be against dozens of postal service
regulations.

it was not a USPS employee, I was not living in USA at the time; no idea
whether this violates any local regulation though.

--Sylvain

Old April 20th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flyin'[email protected]

" The USPS employee is delivering the "Penny Saver" at the same time as
his
mail route? This has got to be against dozens of postal service
regulations.

Yup. Same here.

--
Mike Flyin'8
PP-ASEL

Successful save! .Blueskies. Piloting 5 October 9th 06 11:51 AM
Spaceship One Makes Successful Flight One of Two Bob Chilcoat Piloting 17 October 1st 04 04:42 PM
X-43A successful flight Chad Irby Military Aviation 135 April 10th 04 09:30 PM
X-43A successful flight Tarver Engineering Naval Aviation 49 April 9th 04 02:20 PM
Have there been any successful tip-jet helicopters? Jeremy Thomson Rotorcraft 19 August 1st 03 08:03 PM