The greatest missions were tactical, not strategic

Old September 2nd 04, 03:01 PM
David Lentz

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
Bob Coe wrote:

It took years of strategic bombing to even have a Normandy.

Yes and no. Yes, the Strategic Bombing campaign did syphon off resources

and
men that would have been manning positions at Normandy, but it did not

make the
Germans short of any equipment or resources. Within a few months of D-Day,

the
POL shortages would begin, but on D-Day the Germans had plenty of POL.

The war in Europe was largely fought along the Russian front. The strategic
air campaign supported the Allied policy of keeping the Soviets in the war.
I think Roosevelt's biggest fear wa that the Soviet would make another
sepeate peace with Germany. It was a fear of Eisenhower.

I think it safe to say that the strategic air campaign shortened the war,
but I do t think the war could have been won without it.

David

David

Old September 2nd 04, 04:36 PM
Keith Willshaw

"George Z. Bush" wrote in message

Half-heartedly following this exchange, it occurs to me that no one

person,
group, or even army can rightfully take credit for anything other than

their own
relatively tiny part in the overall picture. If you want to get downright

silly
about it, nothing that happened in the ETO would have happened if we in

the MTO
hadn't had Kesselring and his troops tied up in Italy. Those extra Heer

troops
might have had a decisive influence on the outcome of our invasion

efforts.

Except that we'd have had all those US, British and Canadian
troops that were tried down in Italy available for the campaign

Keith

Old September 2nd 04, 04:41 PM
Chris Mark

From: "George Z. Bush"

nothing that happened in the ETO would have happened if we in the MTO
hadn't had Kesselring and his troops tied up in Italy. Those extra Heer
troops
might have had a decisive influence on the outcome of our invasion efforts.

Not to mention on the Russian front. Operation Torch forced the Luftwaffe to
send 320 Ju 52s to the Med in November, 1942, just at the time the Soviets
mounted their counter-attack at Stalingrad and the Nazis tried to resupply
their troops their by air. Torch also forced the Germans to end their air
attacks on the Murmansk convoys and transfer anti-shipping and fighter units to
the Med. In the six months after Torch, the Germans lost more than 2,400
aircraft in the MTO fighting, including almost two-thirds of all their fighters
and bombers available as of Oct., 1942. When the Germans were driven from
Africa, among other things, they abandoned their aircraft maintenance and
repair equipment, tons of spare parts, and most of their ground crews.
The Germans rushed reinforcements to defend Italy, stripping other theaters.
Then came the assault on Sicily and Husky. In July 1943 alone, the Luftwaffe
lost more than 700 aircraft in the Sicilian fighting.
Just considering this period, and only the Luftwaffe, imagine if the forces
diverted to the Med, even just those lost there, had been available on the
Eastern Front.
Arguing about which theater was more important during the war is like arguing
which of your organs is more impartant. One says the heart is most important,
another the lungs, yet another the liver. Good arguments can be made in each
case, but remove any one of them and the other two are finished as well.

Chris Mark
Old September 2nd 04, 04:50 PM
Keith Willshaw

"David Lentz" wrote in message
.. .

The war in Europe was largely fought along the Russian front.

True to a point up until D-Day but from that point onwards
the germans had to pull more and more troops from Russia to shore
up the Western front. The Nazis knew that once the Ruhr fell
it was all over and the western allies were a much more urgent
threat in late 1944.

By November 1944 there were more German troops committed
in the west than the east

The strategic
air campaign supported the Allied policy of keeping the Soviets in the

war.

It also diverted immense amounts of german air power and critically
weakened the German air force both by destroying large numbers
of aircraft and pilots and destroying their fuel supply.

I think Roosevelt's biggest fear wa that the Soviet would make another
sepeate peace with Germany. It was a fear of Eisenhower.

That was scarcely a likely outcome after the battle of Stalingrad
The Russians were themselves terrified that the AngloAmericans
would do the same. The Germans saw the western allies as
opponents but the Russians were a racial enemy. They
fought it not for territory but to make the Slav's extinct.
The Russians understood that.

I think it safe to say that the strategic air campaign shortened the war,
but I do t think the war could have been won without it.

Perhaps but at much higher cost.

Keith

Old September 2nd 04, 05:23 PM
George Z. Bush

Keith Willshaw wrote:
"George Z. Bush" wrote in message

Half-heartedly following this exchange, it occurs to me that no one

person,
group, or even army can rightfully take credit for anything other than

their own
relatively tiny part in the overall picture. If you want to get downright

silly
about it, nothing that happened in the ETO would have happened if we in

the MTO
hadn't had Kesselring and his troops tied up in Italy. Those extra Heer

troops
might have had a decisive influence on the outcome of our invasion

efforts.

Except that we'd have had all those US, British and Canadian
troops that were tried down in Italy available for the campaign

Keith

Spoilsport! (^-^)))

George Z.

Old September 2nd 04, 05:25 PM
George Z. Bush

From: "George Z. Bush"

[...]

My point exactly, but hopefully stated with less verbiage. (^-^)))

George Z.

Old September 2nd 04, 08:05 PM
BUFDRVR

Brooks wrote:

Yeah, but they did NOT have plenty of fighters stationed forward to use that
fuel to deal with the invasion force. They had retained the bulk of their
fighter force to protect against the strategic onslaught against Germany,

Absolutely, I used ground air defense assets as an example of syphoned
resources, but fighters were just as big a factor.

and IIRC by the summer of 1944 they were already suffering the strategic
campaign's attrition effects in terms of training of replacement pilots to
take the place of those they had lost, a large part of which were lost
defending against the 8th AF and RAF BC.

Absolutely.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old September 2nd 04, 08:07 PM
BUFDRVR

ArtKramr wrote:

But it was tactical bmbing that cut the Germans off from Normandy. They had
plenty, they just couldn't move it forward as we sliced up the roads and rail
lines and took out the bridges.

True, and Ira Eaker, Jimmy Doolittle and other prominent Army Air Force leaders
undertook the mission with great protests and completely under duress from
Eisenhower.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old September 2nd 04, 08:23 PM
Kevin Brooks

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
Brooks wrote:

Yeah, but they did NOT have plenty of fighters stationed forward to use

that
fuel to deal with the invasion force. They had retained the bulk of their
fighter force to protect against the strategic onslaught against Germany,

Absolutely, I used ground air defense assets as an example of syphoned
resources, but fighters were just as big a factor.

IIRC, their Wehrmacht units of 1944 *were* understrength in terms of both
equipment and manpower--they had been forced to cut the number of sub-units
in divisions, Panzer and Panzer-Grenadier divisions did not have near the
number of tanks they had in previous years, etc. Given that the German
government had been forced to increase production of anti-aircraft armament
(and was already resource constrained), and assign many more men to work in
AAA units, by '44, I'd posit that the strategic offensive *did* have a
definite effect in terms of reducing the available manpower and equipment
resources for their ground forces as well.

Brooks

and IIRC by the summer of 1944 they were already suffering the strategic
campaign's attrition effects in terms of training of replacement pilots

take the place of those they had lost, a large part of which were lost
defending against the 8th AF and RAF BC.

Absolutely.

BUFDRVR

"Stay on the bomb run boys, I'm gonna get those bomb doors open if it

harelips
everyone on Bear Creek"