Do you tip your A&P?

Old March 22nd 05, 07:39 PM

Blanche wrote:

However, I do bring krispy kreme or brownies every once in a while.
Makes everyone in the shop happier. And they're more likely to
talk to me immediately when I come in with a problem. The actual
work may not be scheduled for a while but it's never "I'm busy
let's talk about this in 10 days..."

That's the idea. I bring doughnuts in the morning or beer on Friday
afternoon. My shop has about 11 guys working on planes and I like to
be on their good side. It pays off in little ways, like getting
someone to come over and give a strut a shot of nitrogen when you're in
a hurry.

Just yesterday one of the guys talked the owner into letting him
paint my (chromate green) rudder, since he had to paint some new skins
for another customer. He was supposed to just shoot the whole thing
white, and though it wasn't going to match the color of the stab(blue
over white), it would be better than puke green. Yesterday I show up
at the shop and my rudder is almost good as new. The mech dug around
the old paint stores and found a matching navy blue , then masked it
all off on the plane and did a fantastic job matching up the stripes.
I told him it was supposed to be a quick and dirty all white freebie
and he told me it wasn't a problem. He did it during his spare time on
his lunch hour. You can't beat that kind of service.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old March 22nd 05, 08:07 PM
RST Engineering

San Diego didn't have snow, but I started my first electronics job in the
local TV shop when I was 15 at 35 cents an hour (1958).

Jim

"LCT Paintball" wrote in message
Even in the early 80's you should have gotten at least twice what you
were paid. Heck I worked on lawnmowers in the 70's for $5 per hour.

I started learning the tool and die trade in the mid 80's. I got $3.35 per
hour and walked to work in the snow, uphill, both ways!

Old March 22nd 05, 11:12 PM
Montblack

("RST Engineering" wrote)
San Diego didn't have snow, but I started my first electronics job in the
local TV shop when I was 15 at 35 cents an hour (1958).

1959 New Cessna 150 base price $6,995
(Add $2,000 for average delivery price after options, etc)

1978 New Cessna 152 base price ...$14,950
1983 New Cessna 152 base price ....$34,000

(Add $5,000 for average delivery price after options, etc)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?C14023BBA
Cesana 150-152 prices (1959-1985)

HS Jobs:
1974 (14) baby sitting ...........................$0.50
1975 (15) lifeguard/swim teacher ........$1.85
1978 (18) lifeguard/swim teacher ........$2.85
1978 (18) Arby's (sandwich maker) .....$3.85
($2.85 for front counter order takers)

Post graduation (1 year "off" before college)

1978 (18) Pop factory (teamster union) ....$4.25
(7 days/week/10 hours/day summer "temp" job)

1979 (19) Paper plant in St Paul (union) ....$7.00
(7 days/week/10 hours/day ...1.5 and 2x overtime pay g)

My union brewery jobs in 1980's started at about $10.00 and went up to
$14.00 by 1989.

(1978 -1983) When I'd get laid off from a factory job in the winter, due to
low seniority, I'd drive school bus. Also drove bus at college. Average pay

Montblack

Old March 23rd 05, 02:52 AM
LCT Paintball

college. Maybe you guys went into the wrong trade?

Maybe, but while my friends were going to college, I bought a house. I have
a good trade under my belt, and have my own shop. All without student loans.
I'm not making the big bucks, but I do OK.

What do you do now?