Looking for a bulkhead - PA-28

Old March 20th 05, 11:20 PM
mbremer216

Default Looking for a bulkhead - PA-28

I have a Cherokee-180 (1968) that had the interior refurbished before I got
it. In place of the bulkhead behind the baggage compartment, they installed
a vinyl panel screwed into the interior around the edges, with a vinyl
"door" for access to the battery.

I'm am looking for a source for a replacement bulkhead and any free advice
that would go toward getting it installed.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Old March 21st 05, 03:39 AM
Blanche Cohen

Airtex carries them, something like $130 or so. Pick the fabric
you like, give them the serial number, week later you get a
really thing but big box. They're amusing to install. Get your
local A&P or builder to help you fasten it.

Note exactly where the existing holes in the airframe are located.
In fact, make a paper pattern and check it at least 3 times.
Then drill into the bulkhead following the pattern.

If you're *really* lucky and did it right, the screws will go
right into the airframe where it forms the frame for the bulkhead.

There are other options but this may be the simplest.

Old March 22nd 05, 03:45 PM

mbremer216 wrote:
: I have a Cherokee-180 (1968) that had the interior refurbished before I got
: it. In place of the bulkhead behind the baggage compartment, they installed
: a vinyl panel screwed into the interior around the edges, with a vinyl
: "door" for access to the battery.

: I'm am looking for a source for a replacement bulkhead and any free advice
: that would go toward getting it installed.

: Thanks in advance

There's also an STC to add a hatshelf back there, in case you were interested.
I don't remember the specifics since our 140/180 isn't quite eligible.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old March 22nd 05, 08:15 PM

mbremer216 wrote:
I have a Cherokee-180 (1968) that had the interior refurbished before

I got
it. In place of the bulkhead behind the baggage compartment, they

installed
a vinyl panel screwed into the interior around the edges, with a

vinyl
"door" for access to the battery.

I'm am looking for a source for a replacement bulkhead and any free

advice
that would go toward getting it installed.

I don't have a source for you, but I can tell you that the vinyl
panel with the little velcroed battery door was the way it came from
the factory.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old March 23rd 05, 03:29 AM
mbremer216

Are you sure about that? The parts manual shows the plastic bulkhead with
integral hat rack.

I got a quote for the bulkhead using the part number from the manual of over
$600 for the bulkhead and about $125 for the little door.
wrote in message
oups.com...

Old March 23rd 05, 09:14 PM

mbremer216 wrote:
Are you sure about that? The parts manual shows the plastic bulkhead

with
integral hat rack.

I got a quote for the bulkhead using the part number from the manual

of over
$600 for the bulkhead and about $125 for the little door.

Hmmm. My 180 still has the original interior and I can't see
anything in the logs about bulkhead work. I've seen the solid
bulkhead that you're talking about , but it was on later ('69 and up)
models. I'll have to go check my parts manual again. If someone ran
off with my bulkhead, I'm going to be ****ed! :-)

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old March 24th 05, 06:51 AM

mbremer216 wrote:
Are you sure about that? The parts manual shows the plastic bulkhead

with
integral hat rack.

I got a quote for the bulkhead using the part number from the manual

of over
$600 for the bulkhead and about $125 for the little door.

Hmmm. My 180 still has the original interior and I can't see
anything in the logs about bulkhead work. I've seen the solid
bulkhead that you're talking about , but it was on later ('69 and up)
models. I'll have to go check my parts manual again. If someone ran
off with my bulkhead, I'm going to be ****ed! :-)

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

I have to agree with you John. My '63 has the vinal bulkhead with the
velcro panel for battery access.

If I remember going thru my logs, it had the interior replaces once
"Many, Many Years Ago In A Galaxy Far, Far Away" -- or in other words
-- its ready for another!

Chuck
N7398W

Old March 25th 05, 08:32 PM

mbremer216 wrote:
: Are you sure about that? The parts manual shows the plastic bulkhead with
: integral hat rack.

: I got a quote for the bulkhead using the part number from the manual of over
: $600 for the bulkhead and about $125 for the little door.
: wrote in message

I've got a friend with a '65 -150 (same interior as pre-'69 -180). He's just
got the vinyl panel in the rear. His interior is groovy enough to be original, so I
suspect that it's stock.

I *know* that some later -140's had a hatshelf like what you describe. Are
you sure that's not what you're seeing in the parts manual? It doesn't seem like
there would need to be an STC for a hatshelf in a -180 if it was a factory option.
Search through the FAA STC list to find the hatshelf.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *