GliderLink - New team soaring app for airborne location sharing

Old July 24th 18, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima

Default GliderLink - New team soaring app for airborne location sharing

On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 2:21:33 PM UTC-7, Ben Hirashima wrote:
goTenna has recently released a new version of its official app, which includes a new firmware for the goTenna Mesh that is supposed to fix the resetting problem. However, DO NOT UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE. I tried it, and the firmware update failed, rendering my goTenna Mesh inoperative. The same may happen to you. I am working with goTenna to get this problem resolved. Don't update your firmware for now.

More information has become available about the goTenna firmware. On some units, it's not possible to update the firmware. goTenna has offered to replace those units.

To find out if your device needs to be replaced, first download or update the official goTenna app to version 5.0.1 (very important!). https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tenna&hl=en_US

Next, read this forum post, and follow the instructions to see if your unit is one that needs to be replaced. https://meshcommunity.gotenna.com/t/...-here/2742/212. If it is, click the link in that post to fill out the Google Docs form for a replacement.

If your goTenna Mesh is not affected by this problem, then you can update the firmware on it. Again, it is very important to update the firmware with version 5.0.1 or newer of the official goTenna app. Using version 5.0.0 could brick your unit, like it did to one of mine.

Out of my four goTenna Meshes, I was able to update the firmware on only one of them. The updated one now seems to be free of the reset bug that would cause it to disconnect every so often. This is good news, at least. I will be sending in my other three for replacement. It's annoying to have to do this, but at least goTenna is doing the right thing and replacing the units that have problems.

Old October 23rd 18, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 1:13:38 PM UTC-4, Ben Hirashima wrote:

[...]

The best way to get an up to date goTenna Mesh is to buy a new pair.

Trying to save money, I bought a used pair of goTenna Mesh units. Downloaded the latest goTenna app (5.0.2) and it reported the 0.13.48 firmware version and the suspicious-looking serial number of "AA12341234". It offered to update the firmware to the current version 1.1.8. Thus according to the official info the update should have worked. But, after the data transfer (about 30 minutes of triple-flashings of the white LED) the goTenna unit started flashing rapidly and never completed the update, even after a couple of hours. Afterwards it wouldn't pair with the app on the phone. Bricked.

I contacted goTenna support, and they gave me suggestions on how to make it work, but no luck. Bricked the other unit too. So apparently the current app still does not always really know which units can accept the upload. But, then goTenna Support sent me new replacement units, so all is well, and kudos to goTenna!

Next I need to try out GliderLink, will report eventually...
Old May 8th 19, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Spring has sort-of almost arrived here, and I finally got to try Gliderlink in the air. Only briefly, since the other glider with the device didn't stay up very long. But I got solid reports of his whereabouts from more than 10 miles away, even after he landed.

The new version of the app, which uses GPS time to synchronize the units (rather than the Android system clock), makes it easy to turn on the spare old phones that I have dedicated for this purpose and get the app working in short order. Thanks Ben.

Looking forward to some actual buddy flying with it. Anybody else using it?
Old May 8th 19, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

(…)

Looking forward to some actual buddy flying with it. Anybody else using it?

Exactly, finding a buddy interested in trying out useful gadgets like this one is the issue for me. Ionia, Michigan.
Old May 8th 19, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 9:43:14 PM UTC-4, Tom BravoMike wrote:
(…)

Looking forward to some actual buddy flying with it. Anybody else using it?

Exactly, finding a buddy interested in trying out useful gadgets like this one is the issue for me. Ionia, Michigan.

I've had some people tell me that if you want to buddy-fly you should stay within visual range. I think there are different types of buddy flying possible, which this technology makes easier. E.g., I'll look for lift on this ridge, you check out that other ridge 3 miles away, then we'll rendezvous again wherever the lift is better. Another issue is the distraction of having to look at yet another screen. I wish it was integrated with the glide computer that I am using anyway, but not there yet*. I expect to only look at it occasionally when needing to find each other. And if I am planting the device in a glider with a less experienced pilot, for a "mentoring" flight, my plan is to put it out of reach behind that pilot's seat, thus no distraction - I'll be the one finding them. Anyway that's the theory, to be tried out soon.

*) I gather there is some sort of integration with XCsoar, but only if both are running within the same device. I use a Nook for Tophat (larger, higher-contrast screen) and a spare smartphone for GliderLink (new enough, unlike the Nook which is Android 2.x and no Bluetooth).
Old May 14th 19, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

GliderLink integration is now available in the beta version of XCSoar. GliderLink must be running (and connected to a goTenna) at the same time as XCSoar. GliderLink passes glider locations to XCSoar, and XCSoar displays them the same way it shows Flarm targets.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xcsoar.testing
Old May 14th 19, 07:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 8:18:27 PM UTC-7, wrote:
GliderLink integration is now available in the beta version of XCSoar. GliderLink must be running (and connected to a goTenna) at the same time as XCSoar. GliderLink passes glider locations to XCSoar, and XCSoar displays them the same way it shows Flarm targets.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xcsoar.testing

Great news, Ben! I hope to try out my GoTenna devices soon, finally.
Old June 15th 19, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

So I tried some buddy flying with Gliderlink recently. For a while it worked, and my buddy (who is not used to Gliderlink at all) thought it was great. Then we stopped "seeing" each other on the gizmo. I never figured out why, but I think one of us accidentally hit the goTenna "slide switch" and thus turned off the connection. This brings forth two suggestions:

(1) for users, play with it on the ground and get used to the app, so that you can solve app problems in the air without needing more attention than we can muster while flying. It also may help if you mount the goTenna somewhere where you can see it, then if it disconnects you will see its LED blinking.

(2) for Ben: perhaps move that switch to somewhere less prone to an accidental tap, e.g., inside the goTenna status menu item.
Old June 17th 19, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Moshe, some possible reasons that you stopped seeing each other on GliderLink:

1) If the phone loses it's GPS fix, it will stop broadcasting your location. This can happen if the phone is in a pocket without a clear view of the sky. I will add a notification to GliderLink when this happens.

2) If the goTenna firmware has not been updated to the latest, it may be suffering from the known problem that causes it to lose the bluetooth connection to your phone.

3) The goTenna battery may have died. This is less likely because the goTenna battery lasts quite a while.
Old June 17th 19, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 12:50:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Moshe, some possible reasons that you stopped seeing each other on GliderLink:

1) If the phone loses it's GPS fix, it will stop broadcasting your location. This can happen if the phone is in a pocket without a clear view of the sky. I will add a notification to GliderLink when this happens.

2) If the goTenna firmware has not been updated to the latest, it may be suffering from the known problem that causes it to lose the bluetooth connection to your phone.

3) The goTenna battery may have died. This is less likely because the goTenna battery lasts quite a while.

The firmware is from this past spring. And the battery was fine. Loss of GPS signal could have happened. But it was working up to that point, and never started working again after that point in the flight. What happens if one taps the goTenna slider accidentally? Presumably disconnecting from the goTenna and not reconnecting again unless one taps it again?