Two Lock Rule?

Old May 16th 05, 08:05 PM
Robert M. Gary

Default Two Lock Rule?

As far as I know only NJ has such a rule. My Champ had a key for the
door and another key for the mags. If yours is the same, you're good to
go.

Old May 16th 05, 08:55 PM
kontiki

NJ is so damn anal. I left that state 27 years ago and never looked back.
I have flown many hours because of the money I've saved in taxes and compliance
with anal NJ laws and regulations.

I know, my reposnse is not very helpful.... hate me.
Just had to get it out of my system. )

Old May 16th 05, 09:23 PM
Bob Chilcoat

It's an NJ rule, AFAIK. We put a cable lock around the prop (figure 8
around both blades) before we discovered that the door lock and the mag
switch lock meant we already complied. Even so, we left the prop lock on.
Wouldn't want anyone to bypass the Commanche 400 and the Bonanza and take
our '74 Archer :-).

ups.com...

Old May 16th 05, 09:29 PM
Steve Foley

Hangar lock is lock #1.

Prop lock will be lock #2 if/when the rule comes into effect.

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
The airport manager asked me yesterday how I planned to
comply with the upcoming "two lock rule" to protect my 65hp
Champ from being stolen by a terrorist and destroying
Washington. I'm usually reasonably up to date on rule
changes, but I've been out of the loop for a while, and this
was a surprise. I'm not even sure if he was referring to a
state rule (NY) or federal.

Can someone give me some info and steer me to a link or copy
of this rule? A Google search only turned up an old NJ
rule, and I saw nothing on AOPA's site.

(By posting this, I'm certain someone will show me how it
was in front of my nose and I couldn't have missed it, but
it seems that I have :-)

Thanks.

"It is possible to fly without motors, but not without knowledge and

skill."
Wilbur Wright

Old May 16th 05, 10:05 PM
Martin Hotze

On Mon, 16 May 2005 15:49:58 -0400, T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:

My impression from the airport manager was that this
was a new terrorism inspired rule.

close. it was a government inspired rule.

SCNR,

#m
--
http://www.hotze.priv.at/album/aviation/caution.jpg
Old May 16th 05, 10:07 PM
Robert A. Barker

[...]

I am located at KLWM (Lawrence Mass) and the
airport manager has requested two locks.I have a prop lock and the keyed
mag switch.I am not sure if this is a hard and fast rule or just a request.I
have noticed most
have added prop locks.

Bob Barker N8749S

Old May 16th 05, 11:59 PM
Peter Clark

On Mon, 16 May 2005 14:47:42 -0400, T o d d P a t t i s t
wrote:

The airport manager asked me yesterday how I planned to
comply with the upcoming "two lock rule" to protect my 65hp
Champ from being stolen by a terrorist and destroying
Washington. I'm usually reasonably up to date on rule
changes, but I've been out of the loop for a while, and this
was a surprise. I'm not even sure if he was referring to a
state rule (NY) or federal.

It could be local, each airport seems to have their own requirements.

Perhaps one of these-like things:

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....roduct_id=3570

and a bike-chain and padlock around the prop would suffice.

Old May 17th 05, 12:53 AM
Dave S

T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:
"Steve Foley" wrote:

Hangar lock is lock #1.

Prop lock will be lock #2 if/when the rule comes into effect.

Do you have info that such a rule is coming into effect? I
had planned to chain the tail to the back of the hangar.

That would meet the requirments..

Dave

Old May 17th 05, 01:38 AM
Robert M. Gary

Don't you pull your prop through before you turn on the mags? I usually
pulled it through 7 blades to losen the oil and then 3 more to prime it
(after adding fuel). Then mags on and a small turn will fire it up.

-Robert

Old May 17th 05, 02:01 AM
Ron Natalie

T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:
The airport manager asked me yesterday how I planned to
comply with the upcoming "two lock rule" to protect my 65hp
Champ from being stolen by a terrorist and destroying
Washington. I'm usually reasonably up to date on rule
changes, but I've been out of the loop for a while, and this
was a surprise. I'm not even sure if he was referring to a
state rule (NY) or federal.

At the DC-3 it's required you either be in a locked hangar or
have a prop lock on the plane. Dave Wartofsky just went out
and got a bunch of Kryptonite (generally regarded as the most
over-hyped and insecure bicycle lock in production) to allow
owners to comply with the rules.

Reading back altimeter settings? Paul Tomblin Piloting 31 April 12th 05 04:53 PM
FAA Mandatory Pilot Retirement Rule Challenged Larry Dighera Piloting 0 March 20th 05 09:56 PM
The Internet public meeting on National Air Tour Standards begins Feb. 23 at 9 a.m. Larry Dighera Piloting 0 February 22nd 04 04:58 PM
One door PaulaJay1 Owning 17 January 1st 04 01:02 AM
Hei polish moron also britain is going to breach eu deficit 3% rule AIA Military Aviation 0 October 24th 03 11:06 PM