Flight to Bahamas

Old December 24th 03, 04:53 PM
smf

I went in my Glasair II a couple of months ago. Departed Ft. Pierce, they
will help with info and docs. I flew into N. Eleuthra and it took about 10
minutes to clear customs. Got a crusing permit and had a ball.

Great pilot deals as some hotels in the out islands will discount 20%. Went
to Staniel Cay and Pittstown point. At Pittstown Pt. you could see the plane
from the room (runway is close by) and the water was about 40 ft from the
room.

Get "The Bahamas and Caribbean pilots guide", it has everything you need to
know about flying and procedures. It can be found on the internet.

have fun

Steve

"Stimbo" wrote in message
Wondered if anyone had some tips on flying a C172 (or similar) to the

Bahamas
from FXE (Ft. Laud. Exec.) ??

e.g. best guidebook, rafts needed?, easiest island to fly to, customs
procedures, etc.

Stimbo
Medford, NJ

--
Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/

Old December 24th 03, 07:08 PM
PaulaJay1

In article , "Stimbo"
writes:

Wondered if anyone had some tips on flying a C172 (or similar) to the Bahamas
from FXE (Ft. Laud. Exec.) ??

e.g. best guidebook, rafts needed?, easiest island to fly to, customs
procedures, etc.

Stimbo
Medford, NJ

Did it last winter in my Archer. Get the packet from AOPA with all the needed
forms and helpful hints. Have the documents filled out before landing makes it
easier and quicker. Aircraft number (on side) needs to be 12 inches. Mine are
3 inch so I got blue 2 inch masking tape and put temp numbers on. Practiced on
the washing machine at home. We had the only 85B washing machine.G You
need to call Miami radio at least half hour out and identify yourself before
flying into the ADIZ. I flew in and out of of West Palm. Cleared at Marsh
Harbor in Bahamas. You need life jackets but do not require life raft(we did
not carry one). Customs was easy at both ends though the US is more involved.
With altitude - 8 or 9 thousand - you aren't away from land for long. Have fun
on the adventure.

Chuck
Archer 2185B
Old December 25th 03, 03:56 PM
EDR

In article , Stimbo
wrote:

Wondered if anyone had some tips on flying a C172 (or similar) to the Bahamas
from FXE (Ft. Laud. Exec.) ??

e.g. best guidebook, rafts needed?, easiest island to fly to, customs
procedures, etc.

I used to work as a dispatcher for Executive Jet (now NetJets) and we
would have to call Bahamian Customs to let them know we had an aircraft
that would be arriving.
The typical response from the person on the other end of the line was,
"Ya mahn, we be here."
Included in REMARKS box of our release form for the pilots was the
comment, "Spoke with Inspector Ya Mahn."
Old December 25th 03, 04:45 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
EDR wrote:

In article , Stimbo
wrote:

Wondered if anyone had some tips on flying a C172 (or similar) to the
Bahamas
from FXE (Ft. Laud. Exec.) ??

e.g. best guidebook, rafts needed?, easiest island to fly to, customs
procedures, etc.

I used to work as a dispatcher for Executive Jet (now NetJets) and we
would have to call Bahamian Customs to let them know we had an aircraft
that would be arriving.
The typical response from the person on the other end of the line was,
"Ya mahn, we be here."
Included in REMARKS box of our release form for the pilots was the
comment, "Spoke with Inspector Ya Mahn."

I've never flown in the islands, but I've sailed them (Bahamas, US &
British Virgins, Windwards). Everything runs on island time down there.
"Ya man, we be here" sounds about right.

We pulled some pretty wierd stunts. On one trip, we were traveling with
a Chinese national with no visa and an expired Chinese passport. About
the worse we ever got from the Customs folks was "You know dis is
against de rules, mon? You could get into a lot of trouble, mon. Enjoy
your stay, and please spend lots of money while you be here in our
island paradise, mon" :-)
Old December 26th 03, 12:08 AM
Hankal

Enjoy
your stay, and please spend lots of money while you be here in our
island paradise, mon" :-)

I live in SE florida and some of my pilot friends fly to the Bahamas. Now they
charge $15.00 per head just to land. Plus the hassle with customs and FSS.
Never saw anything in the Bahamas that I wanted. I spend my money right here in
the USA. But to each its own.
Hank
Old December 26th 03, 01:35 AM
PA28Rdrvr

I have been a couple of times. It can be very interesting and fun. Last
time I went, had an engine failure on takeoff on return trip. Not a good
place to have mechanical problems. Long story on replacing engine and
getting plane back to U.S. so I won't bore you with details.
My advice, have backup plans for your backup plans but have a great time.

Old December 26th 03, 02:01 AM
GregR

Stimbo wrote:

Wondered if anyone had some tips on flying a C172 (or similar) to the Bahamas
from FXE (Ft. Laud. Exec.) ??

Haven't flown to the Bahamas since I moved from FL in 1990, but we would always
use Ft. Pierce for customs on the way back. Used to be a lot less crowded than
the other So. FL airports of entry, don't know if that's still the case.

We'd usually plan the initial route from FL to the west side of Grand Bahama, on
that route you're only out of sight of land for about 45 minutes or so.

I'd vote for a retractable given an option (if you have to ditch a fixed-gear AC,
it's probably going to flip over when the gear hits the water). But if you've
got a healthy engine it doesn't have a clue whether it's over water or land (do a
mag check before getting too far over water for some added peace of mind, we do
that even when flying out to Catalina here in SoCal).

e.g. best guidebook, rafts needed?, easiest island to fly to, customs
procedures, etc.

I'll second the recommendation for "The Bahamas and Caribbean Pilots Guide" - It
used to be chock-full of useful info, since it's still in print I'd assume that's
still the case.

Have fun!

--

GregR - Another Beemer Biker ...o&o

CA/IFR/BGI - KVNY

[This space for rent - inquire within]

Old December 26th 03, 03:26 AM
GregR

Hankal wrote:

I live in SE florida and some of my pilot friends fly to the Bahamas. Now they
charge $15.00 per head just to land.

They've charged landing fees for years, but you can usually get around them if
you're (ahem...) creative with your "flight crew" (i.e. pilot, co-pilot, second
officer, navigator), etc. I can't remember us ever having to pay a pax charge over
there. :-)

Plus the hassle with customs and FSS.

Hassle? Haven't made the trip post-9/11, so I don't know what the norm is lately -
but it used to be that customs would only ask us to open a bag or two, would
sometimes ask for an estimate of how many US-registered planes were on the ramp at
our departure airport (I guess to get a gauge as to what their workload was going
to be later on), then told us to have a nice day and sent us on our way.

I've heard horror stories about customs ordering pilots to practically disassemble
the plane on the ramp, but for us they were always pleasant and professional.

Never saw anything in the Bahamas that I wanted.

You really should get out more often... ;-)

Great boating, diving, snorkeling, fishing, eating, island-hopping, etc. etc. etc.
Just a great place to get away from it all, plus the natives are really friendly.

All within an easy couple hours' flight from the US mainland. I'd go back tomorrow
given the chance.

Old December 26th 03, 04:43 PM
PaulaJay1

In article , Roy Smith
writes:

We pulled some pretty wierd stunts. On one trip, we were traveling with
a Chinese national with no visa and an expired Chinese passport. About
the worse we ever got from the Customs folks was "You know dis is
against de rules, mon? You could get into a lot of trouble, mon. Enjoy
your stay, and please spend lots of money while you be here in our
island paradise, mon" :-)

Sailing into a Bahamas port I was concerned about the water depth and called
into an attendant on the dock, "How's the water depth in there." The answer
came back, "Plenty water mon, just spread thin!"
We went in slowly and there was enough.

Chuck