Target Tow Squadron Information

Old June 14th 04, 05:12 AM
RPT217

Default Target Tow Squadron Information

I am researching a feature on a target tow squadron that was based at Glenview
Naval Air Station near Chicago, Illinois in July 1945. They flew Martin B-26
bombers and towed targets over the shoreline of Lake Michigan for gunners from
Great Lakes Naval Training Center.

I was in boot camp at the time, and observed several near-misses during gunnery
practice where the aircraft was nearly hit by badly aimed fire. During our
training, we would joke that those pilots should all receive combat pay for
extra-hazardous duty.

From a historical perspective, I think this would make an interesting article.
Any information will be appreciated. I would especially like to interview some
of the pilots if they can be located.

Richard T.

Old June 14th 04, 05:31 PM
nice guy

I believe you're refering to the Douglas B-26 Invader, also known as the JD.
These were used as tow aircraft by the VU squadrons. Look it up on Google
for more information.

"RPT217" wrote in message
I am researching a feature on a target tow squadron that was based at

Glenview
Naval Air Station near Chicago, Illinois in July 1945. They flew Martin

B-26
bombers and towed targets over the shoreline of Lake Michigan for gunners

from
Great Lakes Naval Training Center.

I was in boot camp at the time, and observed several near-misses during

gunnery
practice where the aircraft was nearly hit by badly aimed fire. During

our
training, we would joke that those pilots should all receive combat pay

for
extra-hazardous duty.

From a historical perspective, I think this would make an interesting

article.

Old June 14th 04, 07:03 PM
Buzzer

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 12:31:02 -0400, "nice guy"
wrote:

Not anywhere near Chicago, but this might be interesting to someone..

http://www.radiodiaries.org/transcri...ocs/wasps.html
THE WASPS: Women Pilots of WWII
"...NELL MICKEY BRIGHT (Pilot): We were in a tow target squadron. Our
main mission there was training these boys at Ft. Bliss in
anti-aircraft because they were going to go overseas and try to shoot
the enemy planes out of the sky. And to learn how to do that, they had
to have somebody up there flying these targets for them to shoot at.
And we were the ducks..."

"...BRIGHT: And one night we were towing in a B-26 and the flak
started bursting in front of us. And the target was behind us. So we
had to take some evasive action to get-and called the ground forces
and told them that we are not completing this mission. We're rolling
in our target and going home. We'll come back tomorrow and see if you
can shoot any better..."

"RPT217" wrote in message
I am researching a feature on a target tow squadron that was based at

Glenview
Naval Air Station near Chicago, Illinois in July 1945. They flew Martin

B-26
bombers and towed targets over the shoreline of Lake Michigan for gunners

from
Great Lakes Naval Training Center.

I was in boot camp at the time, and observed several near-misses during

gunnery
practice where the aircraft was nearly hit by badly aimed fire. During

our
training, we would joke that those pilots should all receive combat pay

for
extra-hazardous duty.

From a historical perspective, I think this would make an interesting

article.

Old June 15th 04, 03:30 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
"nice guy" writes:
I believe you're refering to the Douglas B-26 Invader, also known as the JD.
These were used as tow aircraft by the VU squadrons. Look it up on Google
for more information.

It's easy to get confused, but during WW 2, the USN obtained 225
Martin B-26Cs as JM-1s ( BuNos 66595-66794 and 75183-75207)
They were operated between 1943 and 1955.
They also received 32 TB-26Gs as JM-2s in 1945.

The Marauders were replaced by about 150 Douglas B-26s (Redesignated
from A-26s when the Air Force eliminated the 'A' designation for light
bombers in 1948.) which were designated as JD-1s. JD-1s which were
still in service in 1962 were given teh Tri-Service designation of
UB-26J.

"RPT217" wrote in message
I am researching a feature on a target tow squadron that was based at

Glenview
Naval Air Station near Chicago, Illinois in July 1945. They flew Martin

B-26
bombers and towed targets over the shoreline of Lake Michigan for gunners

from
Great Lakes Naval Training Center.

I was in boot camp at the time, and observed several near-misses during

gunnery
practice where the aircraft was nearly hit by badly aimed fire. During

our
training, we would joke that those pilots should all receive combat pay

for
extra-hazardous duty.

From a historical perspective, I think this would make an interesting

article.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old June 16th 04, 07:50 AM
RPT217

Peter:

Many thanks for your reply. After nearly 60 years, I can still remember that
the tow planes were bright yellow Martin B-26s. I'll never forget one incident
where the aircraft was tightly bracketed by black air bursts from the five-inch
AA guns, and the range officer screaming "cease fire, cease fire" over the
intercom.

I'm sure that violent evasive action by the pilot was all that saved them. He
was throwing that B-26 around like a fighter.

Richard T.