Fake Cockpit

Old June 15th 04, 12:43 PM
Flubke

Default Fake Cockpit

A little question, below the cockpit of the A10 for example, there has been
painted a fake cockpit. Maybe it sounds a little stupid but I don't get the
military use of that. Can anybody explain me why they do that. I've seen it
a dozen times and I simply don't get it.

Greetz

Old June 15th 04, 12:58 PM
tscottme

Flubke wrote in message
A little question, below the cockpit of the A10 for example, there has

been
painted a fake cockpit. Maybe it sounds a little stupid but I don't

get the
military use of that. Can anybody explain me why they do that. I've

seen it
a dozen times and I simply don't get it.

Greetz

I first saw this on Canadian F-18s, I believe US Marine F-18s adopted it
after Canada. It is meant to give a pursuing pilot an ambiguous target
during the fight. Say during heavy ACM the pursuing pilot loses view of
the A-10 for a second and then catches another glimpse, for a moment he
may confuse the exact aircraft orientation. It is hoped that this
confusion will benefit the friendly.

--
Scott
--------

Old June 15th 04, 01:01 PM
Greasy Rider @ invalid.com

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:43:37 GMT, "Flubke" etched the
phosphur particles on my screen with the following:

A little question, below the cockpit of the A10 for example, there has been
painted a fake cockpit. Maybe it sounds a little stupid but I don't get the
military use of that. Can anybody explain me why they do that. I've seen it
a dozen times and I simply don't get it.

It's a camo technique to make bad guys think that the a/c is oriented
differently.
Old June 15th 04, 11:22 PM
Guy Alcala

Flubke wrote:

A little question, below the cockpit of the A10 for example, there has been
painted a fake cockpit. Maybe it sounds a little stupid but I don't get the
military use of that. Can anybody explain me why they do that. I've seen it
a dozen times and I simply don't get it.

At medium distances, it makes it hard for an adversary (or a wingman) to tell
whether the a/c is upright or upside down, or turning towards or away. The
object of the false canopy is to interfere with the "Orient" phase of an
opponent's OODA (Observe, Orient, Decide, Act) Loop, slowing down decision and
action. Even a few seconds in air combat can make a big difference. IIRR
Canadian F-18s were the first a/c that used this, after an idea by (I think)
the aviation artist Keith Ferris. Some countries like it, some think it makes
training and close maneuvering by wingmen too dangerous (the wingmen can be
just as confused, and ISTR there have been collisions due to this).

Guy

Old June 16th 04, 10:48 AM
Cub Driver

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:22:41 GMT, Guy Alcala
wrote:

At medium distances, it makes it hard for an adversary (or a wingman) to tell
whether the a/c is upright or upside down, or turning towards or away.

It's amazing how much we depend on our expectation to recognize
direction etc. I once saw a B-2 flying at low level and low speed, and
without a conventional fuselage or wing, it appeared to me to change
direction, first traveling away from me, then toward me, etc.. It was
like one of those optical illusions that appeared in comic pages when
I was a kid.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org
Old June 16th 04, 11:21 AM
The Raven

wrote:

At medium distances, it makes it hard for an adversary (or a wingman) to

tell
whether the a/c is upright or upside down, or turning towards or away.

It's amazing how much we depend on our expectation to recognize
direction etc. I once saw a B-2 flying at low level and low speed, and
without a conventional fuselage or wing, it appeared to me to change
direction, first traveling away from me, then toward me, etc.. It was
like one of those optical illusions that appeared in comic pages when
I was a kid.

Try flying remote controlled aircraft at a distance while keeping track of
it's exact orientation and direction of travel (is it coming towards me or
away, is it banking left or right). It's not as simple as you'd think when
you do some partial turns.

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3

Old June 16th 04, 03:16 PM
Flubke

A Big thank you for everybody who helped me, I've learned more now

Thx!!

"Flubke" schreef in bericht