B2 and F117 question...

Old May 31st 04, 08:53 AM
Guy Alcala

John Keeney wrote:

"Jeb Hoge" wrote in message
om...
(miso) wrote in message

. com...
The B1B paint isn't even RAM, which is why I assume at the airshows
they rope off the real stealth airplanes.

They rope off all the heavy bombers at the airshows I go to.

It's been a few years, but at one show I was at they let people climb to
the top of the B-1's boarding ladder and look around inside from there.
The B-52, at the same show, had the bays open and you were allowed
to get under the plane.

I've seen open Buff bays at several shows, where you stick your head up
inside them. About 20 years ago at a Castle AFB airshow, they did a Loadeo
of an (inert, obviously) four B28RI clip, for time (the load team was
practicing for some SAC competition). Talk about having every move
choreographed so as not to waste a second, all the while working from
multipage checklists in plastic sleeves held together with three rings. I'm
surprised no one lost any fingers unpinning and opening/folding/closing the
bomb doors. Even more fun was hand positioning the bomb trolley under the
bay, especially as it must have weighed 10-15,000 lb. and the temp on the
ramp was upwards of 120. Their green fatigues were literally black from
sweat by the time they finished buttoning everything up -- ISTR the whole
thing took about ten minutes from start to finish, including maybe five
minutes spent out of sight inside the a/c, presumably making connections and
settings. Or maybe they were just having a few cold ones out of sight of
the crowd;-) But I doubt it.

Guy

Old May 31st 04, 06:11 PM
Peter Kemp

On Mon, 31 May 2004 07:53:01 GMT, Guy Alcala
wrote:

I've seen open Buff bays at several shows, where you stick your head up
inside them. About 20 years ago at a Castle AFB airshow, they did a Loadeo
of an (inert, obviously) four B28RI clip, for time (the load team was
practicing for some SAC competition). Talk about having every move
choreographed so as not to waste a second, all the while working from
multipage checklists in plastic sleeves held together with three rings.

snip good story

Anyone know if "quick turn arounds" are generally practised for the
heavier platforms in the USAF/USN/USMC (obviously at least some of it
happens with the above story), or is it mainly limited to CAS types,
for whom every minute on the ground is another minute you're not on
the cab rank?

Peter Kemp

Old June 3rd 04, 08:29 AM
miso

Well the bording ladder sounded like a real treat. I've been under the
B1B once or twice at Edwards with the bays open. The B1B doesn't look
that big, but it sure has capacity in the bays.

"John Keeney" wrote in message ...
"Jeb Hoge" wrote in message
om...

Old June 8th 04, 09:19 PM
Rudy

Well the bording ladder sounded like a real treat. I've been under the
B1B once or twice at Edwards with the bays open. The B1B doesn't look
that big, but it sure has capacity in the bays.

I got my 6'4" 275# frame inside the bone at Ellsworth but didnt want to try
and fit into the navigators "cut out" seat..figured I'd be stuck in there
for life.