Warrior/Cherokee ?

Old October 28th 05, 03:54 AM
Dave

Default Warrior/Cherokee ?

Some are gona think this is a dumb ? , but here goes..

Our Warrior (new to us) has a seat back "release" on the co-pilots
seat..

OK, -so does the seat back lock in the " forward position" and the
"release allows it to move back to the "upright" position?

Ours does... seems backward tho...

Any reason for it locking forward (rear seat entry position)?

Most seats I have seen lock upright and are "released" to fold
forward..

This seat works opposite...

Thoughts you can share?

Dave
Old October 28th 05, 04:24 AM
zatatime

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 23:54:26 -0300, Dave
wrote:

Some are gona think this is a dumb ? , but here goes..

Our Warrior (new to us) has a seat back "release" on the co-pilots
seat..

OK, -so does the seat back lock in the " forward position" and the
"release allows it to move back to the "upright" position?

Ours does... seems backward tho...

Any reason for it locking forward (rear seat entry position)?

Most seats I have seen lock upright and are "released" to fold
forward..

This seat works opposite...

Thoughts you can share?

Dave

I think the idea of it working this way ensures a lock failure will
never hinder flying operations. If it locked upright and the locking
mechanism failed, the seat would try to fold forward; something you
wouldn't want to have to deal with in the air, especially if its
spring loaded.

HTH.
z.
Old October 29th 05, 05:40 AM

On 27-Oct-2005, Dave wrote:

OK, -so does the seat back lock in the " forward position" and the
"release allows it to move back to the "upright" position?

Ours does... seems backward tho...

Any reason for it locking forward (rear seat entry position)?

Something is not right on your seat. The way it's supposed to work is as
you suggest: The latch holds the seat upright. To fold the seat back
forward to allow access to the rear seats, the knob on the edge of the seat
back is twisted. (I believe some PA-28 models use a lever instead of a
knob, but the function is the same.) This operation should not be confused
with the recline feature, wherein a release at the bottom of the seat back
allows the seat back to be reclined rearward beyond the normal upright
position (generally usable only if the seat behind is unoccupied).

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old October 31st 05, 03:48 AM
soxinbox

My co-pilot seat needs the knob rotated to move the seat forward and I don't
think it locks in the forward position. My pilot seat has no rotating latch
and can be pushed forward at any time. I think this could lead to major
injury if there was a passenger in the left read seat and the plane had a
minor crash. I can't think of any reason for the pilot seat to rotate
forward other than it makes it easier to remove for repairs or inspections.

Is this normal? Can anyone think of a good reason for designing it this way?

Old October 31st 05, 11:23 PM
Dave

Same puzzle here..

I cannot understand why BOTH seats do not have locks for the upright
position..and our "lock forward" seat is stranger still...

I remember reading somewhere where one owner was pushing the right
seat back fwd into the control yoke to "lock" the
controls...presumably using this "forward lock".

Maybe some Cherokee drivers on this NG can share some light on this..

Thanks for your response..

Dave

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 03:48:16 GMT, "soxinbox" wrote:

My co-pilot seat needs the knob rotated to move the seat forward and I don't
think it locks in the forward position. My pilot seat has no rotating latch
and can be pushed forward at any time. I think this could lead to major
injury if there was a passenger in the left read seat and the plane had a
minor crash. I can't think of any reason for the pilot seat to rotate
forward other than it makes it easier to remove for repairs or inspections.

Is this normal? Can anyone think of a good reason for designing it this way?

.. .

Old November 1st 05, 12:16 AM
soxinbox

The pilot seat I mentioned has the optional adjustable height. It is a
completely different design.
We have 4 Cherokees in our flying club. I will make a point to check each of
them next time I am at the airport.

"Dave" wrote in message
news
[...]

. ..

Old November 1st 05, 02:11 AM
Dave

As do both our seats...they have the Hydrolock adjusters.

limited info on those available as well---ours need service
also....

Thanks...looking forward to your findings..

Dave

Old November 1st 05, 03:59 AM
Aaron Coolidge

snippage
My Cherokee has seat backs that fold forward with no lock to hold them
upright. They do not recline nor height adjust. They are original
equipment from 1968.

I flip the co-pilot's seat back all the way forward, then slide the
entire co-pilot's seat forward with the seatback top pushing against the
yoke as a temporary gust lock.
--
Aaron C.