Glider Fatality in WA

Old June 27th 04, 03:57 PM
Ian Johnston

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 10:22:32 UTC, "Joeri Cools"
wrote:

: I've been thaught the two methods. In Belgium an instructor told me to make
: S-turns when high on final, in France this seems to be illegal and a steep
: dive with full spoilers is recommended.

I'm a sideslip enthusiast at such times myself. With full brake and a
full rudder slip the Pirat comes down like a parachute...

Ian

Old June 27th 04, 04:01 PM
Ian Johnston

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 00:54:36 UTC, "Vaughn"
wrote:

: Suppose for just a moment that you manage to enter your downwind leg
: without noticing that there has been a 180-degree wind shift since your launch.

I confess. I have been there and done that. Those sea breeze fronts
can come through damn fast. And I did check the windsock, but only to
register the orientation of the wee orange triangle relative to the
runway. Realising that the ground was passing roughly 25 kt faster
than I expected at round out was a character building moment.

Ian

Old June 29th 04, 12:11 PM
Richard Branch

Interesting that there has been no mention of side-slipping and yet that
would be my immediate thought if I believed I was too high to get onto the
ground without overshooting?

Rich...

Mark Nyberg wrote:

A credible witness observed that by the time Joe realized he was in
trouble, he was too high, etc...

Old June 29th 04, 12:22 PM
Keith W

"Richard Branch" wrote in
message ...
Interesting that there has been no mention of side-slipping and yet that
would be my immediate thought if I believed I was too high to get onto the
ground without overshooting?

Rich...

Ian Johnston did, somewhat earlier in the thread:

"

Old June 29th 04, 12:46 PM
Stefan

Richard Branch wrote:

Interesting that there has been no mention of side-slipping and yet that
would be my immediate thought if I believed I was too high to get onto the
ground without overshooting?

It depends on the glider. There are gliders which can be slipped very
effectively (e.g. ASK 21), there are gliders which can barely be slipped
(e.g. LS 4) and there are even gliders for which slipping is strongly
decouraged (e.g. LS 7 WL).

Stefan

Old June 30th 04, 02:54 AM
Ernie

could that probably be because you fly aircraft which have efficient
sideslip ? Try to sideslip a Mosquito instead of using full trailing
edge brakes, or an ASW20 instead of using the highly efficient landing
flaps. Of course you could use a 2-33 which has a highly efficient
sideslip even so I think it doesn't matter which direction you move it
through the air, it's always as draggy as it gets ...

Which aircraft type was the accident in ?

Ernie

Old June 30th 04, 08:16 PM
Bob

From the NTSB it was a TeST TST-10 M

see http://www.test.infoline.cz/us/tst-10.html

Old July 1st 04, 08:52 AM
Mark Nyberg

Which aircraft type was the accident in?

Ernie
Joe was flying his TsT-10 Motorglider (see
www.test.infoline.cz/us/tst-10.html). It appears to be his seventh
flight in that ship and he liked it a lot.

Joe had the factory-installed ballistic parachute option in his
glider. One of our club members (who is an engineer) suggested that
Joe might have survived by touching down with a lot of speed and then
deploying the ballistic parachute to use up the energy -- like a
dragster. I've never heard anyone talk about using a ballistic
parachutes in this way, but it makes sense.

Mark

Sport Pilot - School Won't Offer Gary G Piloting 38 February 16th 05 10:41 AM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM
Restricting Glider Ops at Public Arpt. rjciii Soaring 36 August 25th 03 04:50 PM