I had the craziest dream, last night...

Old October 23rd 05, 01:38 AM
Bret Ludwig

Default I had the craziest dream, last night...

It involved me, George W. Bushusuru, and the Devil and a deck of
cards. To make a long story short, I suspect the Underhanded One rigged
the game, because Jorge was made to make me the new FAA Administrator,
and provide me with some lackeys to make any evil and rotten fantasy of
mine come true, at least as the FAR's were invilved.

So I get in there and start regulating. Of course I am burned in
effigy at Oshkosh and wherever AOPA meets, assassination attempts are
made, etc. but to no avail. I'm your worst nightmare, and I'm here to
stay.

What kind of new regulations do I enact?

1.) ELTs need no longer use special certified battery packs, killing a
major profit center for ELT makers. The ELT must be certified to use a
standard off the shelf battery. But you have to change them at 180 day
intervals.

2.) Single pilot IFR is only permitted in aircraft with single lever
power controls. Otherwise, there must be a licensed pilot or flight
engineer (A&P mechanics could qualify for a GA FE rating) in the right
seat. Exception, if the pilot is flying solo, or with a student in the
left seat.

3.) Homebuilders are only permitted to build and sell one aircraft
every two years, not counting their first one. However, they may not
build and sell another substantially identical aircraft for four years.
If they hold the A&P license or are otherwise determined to be
professionally engaged in aircraft maintenance, it's six years. This
only covers aircraft in the "Experimental Amateur-Built" subcategory,
not Experimental Exhibition, Racing, or R&D.

4.) Certificated engines operated as such in Experimental aircraft, or
nonaviation applications (e.g. PT-6's in gensets, et al) are explicitly
allowed to retain their certificated status as long as maintenance is
performed as it would be in certificated aircraft service. However, to
obtain benefits such as reduced test restrictions, Experimental
aircraft must use certificated engines under these conditions,
including the use of a propeller and other ancilliaries specifically
certificated for that engine and maintenance must be under the above
conditions.

There's more, much more, but that should get things started.

Old October 23rd 05, 01:44 AM
Juan Jimenez

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
oups.com...
It involved me, George W. Bushusuru, and the Devil and a deck of
cards.

Didn't anyone tell you to never, ever mix taco bell, jack daniels and dove
bars?

Old October 23rd 05, 03:32 AM
jerry wass

Juan Jimenez wrote:

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
oups.com...

It involved me, George W. Bushusuru, and the Devil and a deck of
cards.

Didn't anyone tell you to never, ever mix taco bell, jack daniels and
dove bars?

Wot the ell is a dove bar??----No, really I never heard of one--(small
town in Okla.)

Old October 23rd 05, 05:16 AM

Please keep in mind that Dove Bars also have about 3000 grams of
saturated fat in each one, so when those chest pains start shooting
down your left arm and up your neck while you gasp for breath, try to
remember how many of them you ate and how good they tasted.

Old October 23rd 05, 02:46 PM
Juan Jimenez

You people are like the foam-at-the-mouth right wingers who used to hang out
in Jerry Pournelle's roundtable on the GEnie info service. They absolutely
hated it when I would stroll by, rattle the cages and got everyone's
feathers out of whack. They'd ask the management to have me thrown out (by
which time I was already home, drinking coffee and reading the paper), then
they'd complain the place was awfully boring without me, so they'd all get
together and ask me to please come back. Sheesh.

Anyway, I've been busy working on the prep for the first condition
inspection, the one the FAA wants because it's exhibition, not
amateur-built. After 4 long years of hard work finishing the crazy pocket
rocket dream, it passed on Friday.

http://www.bd5.com/airworthy.pdf

Old October 23rd 05, 04:29 PM
Bob Fry

"JJ" == Juan Jimenez writes:

JJ Anyway, I've been busy working on the prep for the first
JJ condition inspection, the one the FAA wants because it's
JJ exhibition, not amateur-built. After 4 long years of hard work
JJ finishing the crazy pocket rocket dream, it passed on Friday.

JJ http://www.bd5.com/airworthy.pdf

Dude! Where's the airplane?? Pix, ya know....
Old October 23rd 05, 04:42 PM
Stealth Pilot

On 22 Oct 2005 17:38:56 -0700, "Bret Ludwig"
wrote:

It involv
1.) ELTs need no longer use special certified battery packs, killing a
major profit center for ELT makers. The ELT must be certified to use a
standard off the shelf battery. But you have to change them at 180 day
intervals.

that elt battery stuff has always perplexed me. I put fresh batteries
in my gps before launching off on a cross country. why cant I just do
that with the elt as well????

3.) Homebuilders are only permitted to build and sell one aircraft
every two years, not counting their first one. However, they may not
build and sell another substantially identical aircraft for four years.
If they hold the A&P license or are otherwise determined to be
professionally engaged in aircraft maintenance, it's six years. This
only covers aircraft in the "Experimental Amateur-Built" subcategory,
not Experimental Exhibition, Racing, or R&D.

how about for each aircraft put up for sale beyond the first it has to
be inspected for quality of workmanship and must pass without an error
or fault being found before sale. it also must have a full flight
program conducted and documented on it prior to sale.

the point is who gives a stuff who built the aircraft. what is
required is sound airworthy workmanship.
I can show you some absolutely shonky rivetting that came out of a
pranged commercial twin.(amazingly it fared as well as the good
rivetting)

4.) Certificated engines operated as such in Experimental aircraft, or

all this is bull****. you have a mental framework based on the
legislation around you. go have a look at what the canadians allow in
their regulations and be prepared for an eyeopener.
real people can maintain real aircraft in really arduous environments
to a quality and level of serviceability that most of the regulators
believe impossible....and their regulations reflect their disbelief.

Stealth(keep on dreamin' though :-) ) Pilot
Australia