Wrong data in Jepp GPS database?

Old October 24th 05, 03:25 AM
Roy Smith

Default Wrong data in Jepp GPS database?

I had a strange experience with our CNX-80 earlier today. Heading back
into HPN, we tried to bring up the approach frequency 126.4, and discovered
it wasn't in the database. There were the normal secondary freqs (120.8
and 124.65), but no 126.4. Then I looked up DXR (Danbury, right next door)
which should have also had 126.4 listed, and found no approach freqs in the
database at all. We called NY on 126.4 as normal, and they answered as
usual, so I assume it's still in use.

Anybody else seen this? I assume it's a problem with the database?
Old October 24th 05, 03:48 AM
John R. Copeland

"Roy Smith" wrote in message ...
I had a strange experience with our CNX-80 earlier today. Heading back
into HPN, we tried to bring up the approach frequency 126.4, and discovered
it wasn't in the database. There were the normal secondary freqs (120.8
and 124.65), but no 126.4. Then I looked up DXR (Danbury, right next door)
which should have also had 126.4 listed, and found no approach freqs in the
database at all. We called NY on 126.4 as normal, and they answered as
usual, so I assume it's still in use.

Anybody else seen this? I assume it's a problem with the database?

Without going out to the airport, I can't check my CNX-80.
However, my JeppView charts show 126.4 on all the KDXR approaches,
and all the KHPN approaches show 126.4 for the hours 0700-2300.
So the 126.4 didn't get dropped completely from Jeppesen's master database.

Old October 24th 05, 02:52 PM
John Clonts

FYI

I reported here some trouble with airport data in my King cycle 0510,
that King blamed on Jeppesen. I recently received another reply from
King that the data were corrected in cycle 0511 which is now available.
I downloaded it and have confirmed that the problems I had seen before
were indeed corrected...

BTW, how do you do the cycle updates on the CNX-80? Does
Garmin/Jeppesen use the same cycle number designations as I describe
above?

--
Cheers,
John Clonts

Old October 24th 05, 10:43 PM
Rip

Roy Smith wrote:
I had a strange experience with our CNX-80 earlier today. Heading back
into HPN, we tried to bring up the approach frequency 126.4, and discovered
it wasn't in the database. There were the normal secondary freqs (120.8
and 124.65), but no 126.4. Then I looked up DXR (Danbury, right next door)
which should have also had 126.4 listed, and found no approach freqs in the
database at all. We called NY on 126.4 as normal, and they answered as
usual, so I assume it's still in use.

Anybody else seen this? I assume it's a problem with the database?

A few years ago there was a Jeppesen update that had Waterbury-Oxford
(KOXC) over by Dutchess County (KPOU), almost 50 miles in error.
Jeppesen said it was Garmin's problem, Garmin said it was Jeppesen's.
When I asked Jepp who I should file the lawsuit against, it got fixed PDQ.

Rip
Old October 25th 05, 04:32 AM
Scott D

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 02:48:09 GMT, "John R. Copeland"
wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote in message ...
I had a strange experience with our CNX-80 earlier today. Heading back
into HPN, we tried to bring up the approach frequency 126.4, and discovered
it wasn't in the database. There were the normal secondary freqs (120.8
and 124.65), but no 126.4. Then I looked up DXR (Danbury, right next door)
which should have also had 126.4 listed, and found no approach freqs in the
database at all. We called NY on 126.4 as normal, and they answered as
usual, so I assume it's still in use.

Anybody else seen this? I assume it's a problem with the database?

Without going out to the airport, I can't check my CNX-80.
However, my JeppView charts show 126.4 on all the KDXR approaches,
and all the KHPN approaches show 126.4 for the hours 0700-2300.
So the 126.4 didn't get dropped completely from Jeppesen's master database.

That's why it is still required to have a paper version with you and
not rely solely on the CNX-80 database. I have the CNX-80/MX20 system
in one of the planes that I fly and I will not go out without having
my paper ones with me. I have all too often seen reboots on the system
when they were having some software issues with the integrated WSI
weather causing the system to shut down. I have not seen an error
like this yet, but that makes me feel even stronger about keeping my
paper plates clipped on the yoke where they should be.

Scott D.
Old October 25th 05, 05:01 PM
Aaron Coolidge

In rec.aviation.owning Roy Smith wrote:
: Anybody else seen this? I assume it's a problem with the database?

Not with the CNX80, but I have an old M-3 approach which gets Jepp databases.
I got home from a trip (not in the plane) and I had 3 UPS overnight
letters leaning against my door. In each was a 1/2 sheet of paper from
Jeppesen saying there was an enormous error in the latest cycle of database
and to update NOW. I got one more envelope each day until I updated.
--
Aaron C.
Old October 26th 05, 01:55 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:25:40 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

I had a strange experience with our CNX-80 earlier today. Heading back
into HPN, we tried to bring up the approach frequency 126.4, and discovered
it wasn't in the database. There were the normal secondary freqs (120.8
and 124.65), but no 126.4. Then I looked up DXR (Danbury, right next door)
which should have also had 126.4 listed, and found no approach freqs in the
database at all. We called NY on 126.4 as normal, and they answered as
usual, so I assume it's still in use.

Anybody else seen this? I assume it's a problem with the database?

Roy,

I just loaded the latest cycle (511) onto my datacard. Since I had it at
home, I copied it into the simulator and 126.4 is not there, either.

It IS listed on the JeppView plates.

I don't understand why it is not on the CNX80.

On another topic, have you noticed that you cannot select VTF until within
30 miles of the destination. I drove myself crazy yesterday going EPM-BGR.
I dialed in the BGR ILS 33 Vectors procedure; but the box never sequenced
away from my PPOS--KBGR flight path.

Come to find out that was because I was more than 30 miles away (outside
the terminal area). What I should have done was go back to the PROC page
AFTER I got into the terminal area, and I would have seen the VTF smart
key.

I don't recall if you're an instructor, but having someone dial in a
Vectors approach while outside the Terminal area might result in an
interesting GOTCHA.

Took a call to GarminAT and about an hour of playing with the simulator
before I realized what I had done wrong on the flight.

Old October 26th 05, 02:15 AM
Roy Smith

In article ,
Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

I just loaded the latest cycle (511) onto my datacard. Since I had it at
home, I copied it into the simulator and 126.4 is not there, either.

Glad to know I'm not crazy.

On another topic, have you noticed that you cannot select VTF until within
30 miles of the destination. I drove myself crazy yesterday going EPM-BGR.
I dialed in the BGR ILS 33 Vectors procedure; but the box never sequenced
away from my PPOS--KBGR flight path.

I just perused the user manual and couldn't find anything about it, but I
do recall reading that once (and noticing it in practice). I have this
vague recollection that it's actually mandated behavior.

I don't recall if you're an instructor

Sometimes my students forget too :-)

Took a call to GarminAT and about an hour of playing with the simulator
before I realized what I had done wrong on the flight.

I have found that most of what I know about the CNX-80 is as a direct
result of some screw-up I made in the air and eventually puzzled out on the
ground later.
Old October 26th 05, 02:51 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 21:15:47 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

In article ,
Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

On another topic, have you noticed that you cannot select VTF until within
30 miles of the destination. I drove myself crazy yesterday going EPM-BGR.
I dialed in the BGR ILS 33 Vectors procedure; but the box never sequenced
away from my PPOS--KBGR flight path.

I just perused the user manual and couldn't find anything about it, but I
do recall reading that once (and noticing it in practice). I have this
vague recollection that it's actually mandated behavior.

In the GNS480 manual, it is vaguely alluded to in the sidebar on P87, but
it sure doesn't say that's the only time you can do it.

As a matter of fact, in the example given on page 88, it seems to me there
is a clear implication that one might have selected VTF mode outside of 30
miles.

Old October 27th 05, 09:31 PM
Allan9

Hi Roy
I was under the impression Jepp got it's information from the FAA.
Al