Insurance company recommendation?

Old October 26th 05, 06:16 PM
John Doe

Default Insurance company recommendation?

Anyone care to recommend which insurance company they're with for aircraft
ownership?

I've gotten a few quotes, so far the lowest has been through AOPA and their
process. But I wasn't too impressed with their payment options. They
either want the entire annual premium up front or a large bulk up front then
either montly or quarterly payments with finance charges. On top of that
they won't accept a credit card as method of payment.

Anyone using a company this has more payment friendly options?

Thanks.

Old October 26th 05, 07:06 PM
Robert M. Gary

You don't normally price insurance co's you usually go through a broker
who does that for you. There are really only two options. 1) Broker or
2) AvemCo. AOPA is a broker. All brokers will quote you the SAME rate.
The insurance co's have an agreement that they will give the same quote
to any two brokers who ask to quote the same person. In fact, if you
call a broker and tell them you already got a quote from another, they
won't even work with you. My broker choose AIG for me and it seems to
work well. If you are a "transition" pilot you will have a "transition"
company (i.e. you buy a Mooney but don't have retract time yet). Once
you have lots of time in your plane you will go with a regular company.

Old October 26th 05, 10:43 PM
Jon Kraus

We use AIG through AOPA and they seem to be OK. We are just now going
into our second year with them. Our premium went down about 10% because
of going from no-time in the Mooney to some-time in the Mooney.

As far as the financing of the premium goes I don't really know about
that. We pay a year up fromt. But it seems to me that most insurance
companies "charge" something for spreading out the premium.

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

Old October 27th 05, 12:00 AM
Robert M. Gary

Anyone using a company this has more payment friendly options?

As far as I know every aviation insurance co earns 100% of the annual
premium the first day of the policy. That is why you can't cancel the
policy and get a pro-rated back unless you actually sell the plane.

Old October 27th 05, 02:46 AM
Aaron Coolidge

John Doe wrote:
: Anyone care to recommend which insurance company they're with for aircraft
: ownership?

Avemco has a quarterly payment program. No extra charge. They also take
credit cards, handy for binding overage. They also have no idiotic niggley
bits in their ins policies. They are a little more expensive but the no BS
is worth it in my book.
--
Aaron C.
Old October 27th 05, 03:23 AM
George Patterson

John Doe wrote:

Anyone using a company this has more payment friendly options?

Not I.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old October 27th 05, 05:47 AM
Robert M. Gary

The one "strangeness" with Avemo to be aware of is the family
limitation. This is only with Avemco. If you are traveling with your
family (flying pilot's relations), the amount of insurance available
for their injuries is reduced dramaticly. I guess they figure your wife
won't sue you but that's not true at all. If she has life long injuries
you may have her sue you to unlock the insurance. Happens all the time
with homeowners insurance when the husband falls off the roof putting
up the wife's X-mas lights.

Old October 27th 05, 08:07 PM
Robet Coffey

John Doe wrote:
Anyone care to recommend which insurance company they're with for aircraft
ownership?

I've gotten a few quotes, so far the lowest has been through AOPA and their
process. But I wasn't too impressed with their payment options. They
either want the entire annual premium up front or a large bulk up front then
either montly or quarterly payments with finance charges. On top of that
they won't accept a credit card as method of payment.

Anyone using a company this has more payment friendly options?

Thanks.

I had AVMEMCO until I switched to aopa (aig) for $1,400/yr less. They
took credit cards. Of course for 1400 extra I think I should have got
a kiss after...