Contest newbie question - handicaps

Old August 26th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default Contest newbie question - handicaps

The CH is for Carl Herold, who for years has done the U.S. handicaps.
Definitely not the same as the IGC list.

Old August 27th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

See also: http://sailplane-racing.org/rules.htm

Old August 27th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger Worden

The rules for a contest state: "All competing sailplanes will be scored
using the CH-xx handicap system (xx is the last 2 digits of the year of the
contest)." I've searched the Internet and cannot find a direct reference to
CH-07.

1. Is this the same as the IGC Handicap list?
2. On the FAI site, I can find the list for 2006. Is that the latest?
3. In the 2006 list, my model (PW5) is not listed. How is that handled? 1.0?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I expect that some will reply that a PW5 is a handicap in its own
right... please start a new thread for the snickering... ;-)

Old August 27th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger Worden

With that clue, I found the 2007 list in the SSA Contest page. Thanks for
the hint!

oups.com...

Old August 27th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

If you have to ask, it probably doesn't matter. Stay (just) inside
your comfort zone, don't break the ship, and have a good time. It it's
not fun, something is wrong, and it's probably not your ships handicap
value.

Old August 27th 07, 08:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

In my limited experience the handicap is immaterial for your first couple of
contest.
Experienced people will have worked out a reasonable number. Your performance
makes a much bigger difference than the glider. Fly what you have, as well as
you can - have fun.

Read Leo Brigliadori, or George Moffatt - you win with your head, not so much
your glider. Which is not to say that you should not make good decisions about
your equipment, and what your strategy should be given what you have to fly, and
the geography and weather.

Which comes back to - Once you know what, where and when you will be flying, the
handicap is relatively unimportant. I was amazed at what my ancient Std Cirrus
could do once the pilot had his eyes opened a little, and stopped making so many
poor decisions.

Bruce (Still near the back of the club class.)

Bob Kuykendall wrote:
If you have to ask, it probably doesn't matter. Stay (just) inside
your comfort zone, don't break the ship, and have a good time. It it's
not fun, something is wrong, and it's probably not your ships handicap
value.

Stupid Question from a newbie expresstechonsite Home Built 17 May 29th 06 02:03 AM
Newbie VOR question Bruce W.1 Piloting 15 April 7th 05 05:15 PM
newbie question 2 Billy Who? Piloting 9 December 23rd 04 05:58 AM
A question only a newbie would ask Peter Duniho Piloting 68 August 18th 04 11:54 PM
Newbie question Bill Gribble Soaring 6 November 6th 03 07:57 PM